SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WAWA coming to a state where you Live!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WAWA coming to a state where you Live! Login/Join 
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
All you PA/NJ peeps who grew up with Wawa’s

Do you remember when Wawa:

1. Were tiny like old 7-11’s? (They portray the old ones like this in The Goldbergs)
2. Had an actual deli counter where they’d slice deli meats by the pound for sale?
3. Had you give your hoagie order directly to the counter personal verbally?
4. Did not have gas pumps?
5. Had coffee in the old school glass pots on hotplates that sat and cooked?
6. Had a big pickle barrel you could fish a large delicious Kosher dill out of?
Yes. That's when we used to go to Wawa for lunch on regular basis.

Now I rarely go there for food unless I'm in a pinch. I stopped drinking their coffee to about 20 15 years ago or so, something changed and I don't even like the smell of it anymore.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I had a damned good fresh made sub at one in FL, QT can't touch that

What is this “sub” you speak of?

Wawa makes hoagies!

I got scolded by the woman making my hoagie last summer. I had not been to a Wawa in years but I was in south Jersey and wanted one of their sandwiches. I was with my friend and while we were waiting I mentioned to him how much I liked Wawa subs. The woman straight up stopped making my sandwich, looked me in the eye and said "We make hoagies at Wawa, not subs". Classic.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosh, I had no idea there was a difference between a Sub and a Hoagie.

I owned a convenience store with my buddy maybe 30 years ago. It was a lot of work and selling it for a profit was one of the happiest days of my life.

I like Wawa for gas, but don't think I have ever been in one. I don't smoke, stopped chewing tobacco many years ago, don't drink hot coffee or beer, and ain't gonna squat on a public pot if I can avoid it, so no reason to go inside.

But, for gas, the pumps always work IME, they are pretty conveniently located where I am roaming most of the time and the price is usually better than the other places.

I do buy the gas cards for Wawa at Publix when they have $10 off $50 cards as that's a pretty good savings.

So, I guess, color me a fan.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:

I got scolded by the woman making my hoagie last summer. I had not been to a Wawa in years but I was in south Jersey and wanted one of their sandwiches. I was with my friend and while we were waiting I mentioned to him how much I liked Wawa subs. The woman straight up stopped making my sandwich, looked me in the eye and said "We make hoagies at Wawa, not subs". Classic.

There is a cutoff in NJ where once you get out of the Philadelphia area of South Jersey, they *DO* start calling them “subs”. My mother lived in Margate, NJ and right near an awesome SJ sub shop called Dino’s and when we used to go to Ocean City, NJ there was a really good place there called Sack O Subs.

But I do think Wawa corporate insists on “hoagie” as the company is originally from hoagie country in PA.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sorta explains it-my wife, who is from PA, too, calls all subs hoagies.

So, if I got this straight, there isn't a nickel's difference between a sub and a hoagie-it just depends on where you are or what you grew up calling them, huh?

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I stopped at the large, very busy Wawa near my work yesterday for a Shorti (6 inch) hoagie for lunch and at 12:30 pm they had TWO people working the sandwich counter. On a Thursday at 12:30 pm at one of the biggest and busiest Wawa’s I’ve ever been to.

There were easily 30 people standing around waiting for their hoagies and whatnot and the two workers were busting their asses trying to keep up but this is ridiculous. They needed 5-6 people back there and I don’t understand why we are still seeing these worker shortages?

How are people eating and putting a roof over their head if they don’t want to work?

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2762 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Living at the Jersey Shore, a tourist mecca in the summer I hear subs called by a lot of different names from out of state people.
Subs
Hoagies
Grinders
Poor Boys
I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
A grinder is a hoagie/sub that has been toasted or baked so it's a bit distinct. Not sure about a poor boy but a Po Boy is a certain sandwich out of Louisiana.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post