SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If it’s time to change dog food, then to what?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If it’s time to change dog food, then to what? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
When we got our chocolate lab pup last February, the breeder recommended that we feed her Purina puppy chow for her first year. In a few weeks Koko will be a year old. A few weeks ago she weighed 91 lbs. Even though she’s slim, active and very quick, the vet suggested we dial back on the high nutrition food.
What do some of you knowledgeable folks feed your pups to keep them trim while satisfying their appetites?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Visit DogFoodAdvisor.com. There’s a wealth of information on that site!

We are currently using Purina ProPlan sensitive skin and stomach, for self-explanatory reasons. It’s pricey, but it works for all of our pups.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Blue Buffalo, Orijen or Merrick grain free.

https://www.rover.com/blog/bes...ood-grains-for-2020/

Been using BB then Merrick for 15 years and been pleased.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I second double checking with dogfoodadvisor. They do skew to highest protein, which is fine for most, but certain dogs don't agree with the highest protein levels. So dialing it back to 4 star instead of 5 or higher is fine.

Remember that no matter what food brand you choose, you should rotate foods fairly regularly. Either change up the ingredients like going from beef to chicken, or stick with a primary protein but change brands. Long term, it is unlikely that the exact nutrient mix of any food is has enough of some certain ingredient for your particular dog. Your particular dog might need just a little more taurine than what the food you chose has, for example. I change it up every 2 bags, between Earthborne and Fromm varieties.

And finally, the total amount of training on food that veterinarians go through in vet school is like a 3 hour lecture put on by Purina.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Bandit has had Fromme since she was a pup. Different flavor every month. You can figure out the serving size based on your pups calorie requirements.

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I started feeding my Dutch Shepherd Merrick, then the formula changed a few years back. It looked different and smelled different. My dog wanted nothing to do with it. I found out they were sold to one of the big dog food companies. I ended up switching to Fromm and it’s worth the money. I switch the protein around to keep him interested. He seems to like lamb and lentils the best, followed by salmon. Didn’t care for the duck.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Fromm for our dogs.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8345 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've had good luck with Victor Purpose Grain Free Hero Canine for the last few years.

Posts: 2369 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
When changing dog food, mix in old with new and slowly change over.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
When we got our chocolate lab pup last February, the breeder recommended that we feed her Purina puppy chow for her first year. In a few weeks Koko will be a year old. A few weeks ago she weighed 91 lbs. Even though she’s slim, active and very quick, the vet suggested we dial back on the high nutrition food.
What do some of you knowledgeable folks feed your pups to keep them trim while satisfying their appetites?

On their website, Purina recommends transitioning a medium sized dog from puppy to adult dog food at about 12mos. Sounds like your pup is thriving on the Purina brand and that's what I would stick with until proven otherwise. I know a few folks who swear by Purina Pro Plan and there are 60+ high-quality options available in the Pro Plan product line, including specialized adult dog foods for sensitive skin & stomach, weight management, cognitive health, and breed sizes, along with their standard Pro Plan adult formulas ... so Purina Pro Plan.

Posts: 4720 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:
And finally, the total amount of training on food that veterinarians go through in vet school is like a 3 hour lecture put on by Purina.

Vets make a profit percentage on whatever brand they push. So don't be fooled into buying dog food at the vet, as it is not the best food only what makes them money.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen this type of discussion before, but this one has delivered what seems to be the most useful information and good ideas. Thanks a bunch.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/4630014644/p/3

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9470026674

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3160036164

Please consider using www.karmanator.com and the sigforum search. We have answered the dog food question dozens of times with many many pages of info.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5057 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
On their website, Purina recommends transitioning a medium sized dog from puppy to adult dog food at about 12mos. Sounds like your pup is thriving on the Purina brand and that's what I would stick with until proven otherwise. I know a few folks who swear by Purina Pro Plan and there are 60+ high-quality options available in the Pro Plan product line, including specialized adult dog foods for sensitive skin & stomach, weight management, cognitive health, and breed sizes, along with their standard Pro Plan adult formulas ... so Purina Pro Plan.

Thank you for reminding me that there was no possibility of any new information.

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with Essence,Fromme,Orijen

Posts: 2308 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
my apologies Mr. Hobbs. I thought I was replying to to mild chastisement from 4mul8r.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
my apologies Mr. Hobbs. I thought I was replying to to mild chastisement from 4mul8r.

No problem. The links are not specific to YOUR dog and you have every right to ask for advice. Although there may be some good discussion at those links and maybe worth a look. Good Luck !!! Smile

Posts: 4720 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, I like American Journey from Chewy. Lot's of different formulations and the convenience of Chewy shipments to me door in two days is an added benefit.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were feeding grain free and our vet told us to stop due to heart issues in larger breeds when feeding grainfree food. Part of me wanted to call BS since they'd be eating grain free in the wild, however modern dogs are so far removed from the 'wild' that it likely doesn't apply much anymore. Wild canines also don't live terribly long. *shrug*

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 10 year old rescue developed a sensitive digestive track over the last two years.

Is mostly Shepard and some husky tossed in for good measure.

we tried a lot of different foods.

He is now eating

Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Dry Dog Food.

We add some can dog food from Costco

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-nature's-domain-canned-dog-food%2C-turkey-%2526-pea-stew%2C-13.2-oz%2C-24-count.product.100451760.html

and a slice of fresh pet.

He now eats in two minutes and spend an extra 5 minutes licking the bowl.

Latest details on the grain question.

https://www.k9ofmine.com/dog-food-fda-warning/

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post