SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market Bargains and the Virus Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It is my experience in following the market since the 1970s. We have many uncertain things in our future. The market seems to have gotten ahead of itself. I think we will retest the March lows again.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Don't fight the fed. Market might whipsaw but it is going up. Market timers usually end up with patches on their britches.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Boeing did pretty good today as did AAL. I'm still going to hold for a while, though.

I did flip CZR after a week or so, made some money and got out. I think it's around $15 now.

Posts: 13146 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Wow

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blast off

------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
MRO has doubled from what I paid for it and my CE shares are up about $30 a share from where I bought (if I would have bought earlier I could have been up $for 40 plus per share). I am starting to think that the virus is going to hit hard later this year and halt everything again. I am tempted to sell everything in the next couple months and wait to buy in again when the market drops. I think if the virus gets bad it could be worse than earlier this year bu what do I know.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
MRO has doubled from what I paid for it and my CE shares are up about $30 a share from where I bought (if I would have bought earlier I could have been up $for 40 plus per share). I am starting to think that the virus is going to hit hard later this year and halt everything again. I am tempted to sell everything in the next couple months and wait to buy in again when the market drops. I think if the virus gets bad it could be worse than earlier this year bu what do I know.

Are you assuming it will get bad again, and the market has not already priced that in? Many were given a great opportunity to jump in and invest at a spectacular rate - I've got 15 years before I need it, I am going to let it ride. That said, I have taken gains in some areas and am back to 20% of my portfolio in cash (from less than 1% the first week of April). If demand returns fast enough, this may be the fastest rebound and shortest recession of all time.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AAPL hit a new all-time high today, and I'm happy to report that as of this morning, my primary stock trading account has recovered 100 percent of its pre-COVID value. I have some Ford stock in there that has jumped over 17 percent since yesterday.

Posts: 2490 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
American Airlines has doubled its stock price in just 5 days. Opened at $10.61 on Monday, currently trading at 21.76 at 10:01 on Friday.

10 year treasury has spiked from 64 basis points to 92 basis points in the same five day period.

THIS, I cannot understand. Yes, AA is going to start flying more flights, but most won't even be profitable flights. It will also be a long time coming before airlines start really making money.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Are you assuming it will get bad again, and the market has not already priced that in? Many were given a great opportunity to jump in and invest at a spectacular rate - I've got 15 years before I need it, I am going to let it ride. That said, I have taken gains in some areas and am back to 20% of my portfolio in cash (from less than 1% the first week of April). If demand returns fast enough, this may be the fastest rebound and shortest recession of all time.

YES, these are my thoughts as well. It HAS to if you go from an earnings/value evaluation. 1st quarter earnings reported really weren't that bad for most all companies because the virus didn't start effecting things until March 15th (near the end of the quarter). However, Q2 and Q3 and probably Q4 earnings will be a total disaster for 90% of the companies on them. It's illogical that the stock market is where it is right now.

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
It is speculation pure and simple. More greed now than fear.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I extracted my initial investment in AAL after more than doubling my money. I’ll play with house money for a little bit and see how it goes.
Interesting week.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It takes very little for the market to drop and I’m afraid another outbreak will freak people out and they will overreact. If you’re in for the long run it won’t matter but I’d like to sell so I can buy again when the market drops and make more. It’s a guessing game but in reality whichever way I choose to go I’ll be fine, if I hold it will drop and rebound but if I sell and it drops I can buy low and make more overall. Market drops don’t bother me since I can make money that way. When to sell and buy is the hard part and I’m sure there are people much better than me at guessing.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It takes very little for the market to drop and I’m afraid another outbreak will freak people out and they will overreact. If you’re in for the long run it won’t matter but I’d like to sell so I can buy again when the market drops and make more. It’s a guessing game but in reality whichever way I choose to go I’ll be fine, if I hold it will drop and rebound but if I sell and it drops I can buy low and make more overall. Market drops don’t bother me since I can make money that way. When to sell and buy is the hard part and I’m sure there are people much better than me at guessing.

That is called timing the market. Very few can correctly time the market. If you are talking about liquidating some positions to reduce risk and redeploying capital to sectors that have remains depressed and act as trailing indicators, that is a valid strategy. Selling based on implied expectation on market drops is a poor mans investing plan.

I'll ask a simple questions - did you liquidate your positions in late February before this hit, or did you buy on March 23rd?

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm happy to say my accounts surpassed pre Covid drop, but I was fortunate to buy on the down days. I watched certain stocks on a daily basis and added to positions and opened a couple of new ones. Being the age I am, I concentrated on income stocks with healthy dividends that hadn't been cut, but share price beaten down, revealing nice yields. I'm not convinced we're out of the woods either, but if we have another drop like before, I'll feel safe holding my choices. I'm not a market timer either. Time IN the market. And I don't think we'll another drop that big.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38716 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I tend to do the same, but admittedly don't spend nearly as much time following the market as I used to. What I do a lot of times is sell half instead of all of a position, it the market continues to go up and I guessed wrong well at least I still have half. If it goes back down, at least I made half a gain and I buy the half I sold back........

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the MFA tip, Jimmy.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’m new to the market, but it’s always this easy right? Red Face

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Thanks for the MFA tip, Jimmy.

NO problem it went up over 40% today..... sadly I sold all of mine for a much smaller profit a while ago......

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
What are the bargains now? Of course I mean the ones that you smart folks will be bragging about in a month.

Have some powder dry and want to shoot straight.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post