SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Full Size SUV will the wife choose?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Full Size SUV will the wife choose? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Big thanks on that thread Scuba Steve. I certainly won’t be off-roading this one since I have the Expedition for that.
Like stated before we are on the in-laws gravel lane a bunch and he has had some wires damaged down there from gravel sling.

Do you happen to have the part numbers for the skid plates. That thread just lists the wire a part.
Does that seem to be the best forum for these rigs??

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Glad she found what she wanted. Looks like it will do what you want it to do. What was the otd price.

$39k

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Nice! Other than the pattern on the rims, it looks exactly like mine.

Posts: 2349 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That seems pretty darn good Black. Especially with the history. Small town dealers are great. Sounds like they treated you well. That is cool.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19706 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the 'Burban, looks great!

Never heard of any issues with the 22s. I worked for a local Chevrolet dealer in college & the owner always had a pearl white LTZ Suburban with the GM accessory 22s, never a complaint on them.

Hope it treats you well. If I could swing it, I'd consider a Tahoe or Suburban, timing's just not quite right.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:

Any tips on keeping the iridescent paint looking good?

————————————————

I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye on the suspension. The '15s have some problems with the magnetic ride. I bought the same about a year ago, the mag ride front shocks were completely locked up. The front end pogoed over every little bump. It was undrivable and dangerous. It also caused the front end to drop some. The air dam was super close to the ground. And it squatted like a stink bug.

Cost me ~1100 bucks or so to remove all the mag ride shocks front and back and put regular ones in. Car rides perfect now and the front has even lifted up several inches to a "normal" position.

Do a google search on it and you can read about it. They are a couple companies that make plug in adapters to defeat the electronic leveling once you replace the mag ride.

Posts: 2162 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. What brand shocks did you replace the OEM with?
If the Magnetic ride goes south guess I’ll drop in the Fox Kit and find the resistors.

————————————————

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:

I have not had to work hard. I have a car wash club membership, the type that uses spray wax, sealant, etc. I drive through there about 3 times per month and things seem to be holding up just fine.

Posts: 2349 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Luckily, I'd imagine, the 22s seem to be real wheels.
Not like the chromed plastic covers on the 08-14 Silverados Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
The plates are pretty cheap, but shipping will get you. They are big thick pieces of aluminum. Your frame will be pre-drilled for them, and they will use some of the holes for the black plastic shield under there, but you also need to get some self-tapping bolts. I forgot the parts number on those, but GM has them. Again, I haven't installed or had mine installed yet. Here are links to them and parts numbers:

Front skid plate 23135960

Rear skid plate 23135959

I don't do vehicle forums much, but I had read quite about about the Suburban droning issue across several forums to know what to look for before buying. I think that forum I linked to earlier had alot of info, but there are several out there.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the heads up. What brand shocks did you replace the OEM with?
If the Magnetic ride goes south guess I’ll drop in the Fox Kit and find the resistors.

I don't remember, we live off a dirt road and it was some my mechanic recommended for our area. It's a fairly common remove and replace.

Posts: 2162 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
The plates are pretty cheap, but shipping will get you. They are big thick pieces of aluminum. Your frame will be pre-drilled for them, and they will use some of the holes for the black plastic shield under there, but you also need to get some self-tapping bolts. I forgot the parts number on those, but GM has them. Again, I haven't installed or had mine installed yet. Here are links to them and parts numbers:

Front skid plate 23135960

Rear skid plate 23135959

I don't do vehicle forums much, but I had read quite about about the Suburban droning issue across several forums to know what to look for before buying. I think that forum I linked to earlier had alot of info, but there are several out there.

I was able to find this kit that includes all three plates and bolts.

Shield Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y..._api_i_uWdlEbG9MDD8V

The picture shows the black plastic panels but it is the aluminum plates per the questions and description.

Looks like it is a GM kit. Going to check with my local GM dealer and see their price. I need to make friends anyway in the event I have warranty work and I have 2 years maintenance.

————————————————

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have always had great luck with Zymol Titanium wax. You melt a little in your bare hands and apply. Rub off with a towel in a 90 seconds or so. It’s a PITA, but if done right, it works great.

The other option is a polish/sealant. I have had awesome results with Glare. It’s only available online, but it works, and it works great. Much easier and quicker to apply than Zymol. You need to do two coats to get the best results.

This Was my Mercedes after paint correction and two coats of Glare polish/sealant.
Wash, buffed with 3M Perfect It II, wash, Geyon Iron Remover, wash, clay bar, wash, rinse with distilled water, Geyon Prep, Glare, wipe down with clean cloth, Glare again.
Applied with random orbital on slow speed as per the directions provided by Glare. Used a Griots red 5.5” and 3” pads.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4322 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Sooooo....what engine/transmission combo does this one have? I didn’t see that detail mentioned. My 2014 Silverado has the 5.3 with 6-speed, 3.42. It’s not bad, but not as responsive as my old 4 speed with the 3.73.

Posts: 7353 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
It has the 5.3L with 6 speed and 3.42s since it has the full tow package.

It does not have the power of my Ecoboost Expedition with the 3.5L Twin turbo, 6 speed, and 3.73s but it is no slouch and will suit my wife just fine.

These things done away with replaceable fuel filters as well?
Can’t seem to find a listing with one?

I like to put in fresh fluids and filters when I get a vehicle.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
A few weeks back I started ripping all my DVDs to MKV files (still need to get a BluRay drive so I can rip my BluRays) so I can easily access them on the TVs without switching and hunting for discs.

So I am reading up on this rear entertainment system and it sounds like a complete nightmare to control from the front and my boys are too little to do it it themselves in the back.

Have to convert all the MKVs to mp4s.
No big deal. Still trying to figure out what settings I need to convert for the mp4s and what size card and format it needs to be.

————————————————

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I don't remember your kids ages, but for our three we used iPad Minis, a Wi-Fi router with an SSD that had all the movies and shows on it and headphones. The oldest was able to help get things right if something got messed up. Everyone got to watch their own show, so no arguments.

It was cheaper than the entertainment system, portable, and they still have their iPad's even though the vehicle is long gone.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
They are 6, 4, and 2 and we are mean parents. Not going to allow them to have tablets or devices.
Already has the entertainment setup Seems like the system is pretty wonky limiting card size, fills size, and apparently it does not have any sort of menu and you just have to click next and go through the files with no direct choice.
Seems like a gigantic pain.
The only Roku that has RCA outputs does not have a USB input and I am pretty sure all HDMI to RCA converters need a power supply. Only have one outlet in the Suburban.
Might try this Android box that way we can stream Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, and have direct access to the videos on SD or USB.

Android 9.0 TV Box 4GB RAM 64GB ROM, YAGALA Y1 Smart Android Box RK3318 Quad Core 64bit Dual WiFi 2.4GHz/5.0GHz HDMI 4K 60fps H.265 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T..._api_i_ZtkmEbR062BDX

Still need to see if the RCA inputs are viewable on the front screen.

————————————————