SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Full Size SUV will the wife choose?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Full Size SUV will the wife choose? Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like anything the more doodads the more things to fix down the road and all these doodads are expensive especially those power running boards which seem to have a lot of issues.

I have a 2016 Expedition Limited EL it has the power running boards and I figured they were going to be trouble especially in the winter months up here. So far so good not a problem. Once I figured out that if you open the door and don't step on the running board when you close the door it doesn't retract. I'm guessing there is a weight sensor that detects weight on the running board as if to tell it someone got in the vehicle? There's more stuff on that truck than I'll ever need or take the time to figure out. Kick ass truck to drive that's for sure.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8617 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Mercedes Sprinter Van.

4x4 Diesel. Do it.

This is an excellent choice. Way more $ and good Lord Aeteocles do you want Black to have 5 more kids!? Big Grin

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
Prices on the Tahoe / Yukon should be very competitive with the major changes being announced for the 2021 models. Independent rear suspension, more interior space, AT4 model in the Yukon.

You'd think so, but they're such strong sellers and the 21s will not be out for several more months that I doubt there will be any closing out for a while, if at all.

Posts: 5202 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Personal preference would say GM, mostly for not being a huge fan of the Sequoia.

Never been a modern Nissan fan outside the Z & GTR

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I understand your liking the Sequoia, unquestionably Toyota builds a great vehicle. As an aside my wife and I were talking about our new Land Cruiser while we were on a mini vacation minus our daughter this weekend and we both agreed that it is the best, most comfortable, most well constructed vehicle that we’ve owned. It really is the best built vehicle I’ve ever driven and I think the Land Cruiser in particular takes standard Toyota build quality and dials it up to 11.

Having said all that I would characterize the Tahoe/Yukon as right up there with the build quality of the Sequoia. My current GOV is a 2008 Tahoe with just a hair under 190,000 miles. A lot of those miles have been hard miles, running code long distances, and just taking the beating of being used as a police car. In that time, the only repair that it has required beyond maintenance items and an emissions sensor has been a rebuild of the rear end. I’d say that is pretty darn near indestructible, and I don’t know that you could expect much more than that out of even a Toyota. The GM body on frame SUV’s really are built quite well.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5616 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The '18 & '19 Sequoias are part of the fuel pump recall now also. I had to go look up the often mentioned Land Cruiser as I never see them on the roads. Its a nice looking vehicle. At 85 Grand its also a expensive so it must be made well.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Lt gotta rub that 200 in again Wink
I’d love to put my wife in a 200. With cash flowing 3 kids private school it just ain’t happening.

Hopefully I’ll get my Tahoe as the company car here soon. This is the first year they bought them and I am on the short list for a new vehicle.

But looks like the dealership sold the Sequoia.
Found another one kind of close just not sure we’ll have time to get to both dealerships before having to get the kids from school.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
My wife has a Yukon SLT and loves it. I drive it from time to time and its a solid vehicle. Hers has the 5.3 liter and does just fine. That 6.2 in the Denali should be even better.

It is. I had an SLT with the 5.3 and now drive a Denali with the 6.2. It is a noticeable difference in acceleration. I know there are a lot of GM haters out there, but this is one market segment that they really have nailed down. I've owned Tahoe/Yukons of every generation for the past 20 years and never had a bad one.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I'd strongly reccomend she get one where the rear seats fold flat. It was a big reason we went Armada when we got ours. Our Armada has been a great vehicle and the foldcflat decision was smart with kids and a dog.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
She needs to get all the way in there and go with Denali XL or a Suburban. With kids, family, dogs and all that stuff once you have one you can't imagine not. The marginal cost and mileage difference is nothing in the big picture.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
She needs to get all the way in there and go with Denali XL or a Suburban. With kids, family, dogs and all that stuff once you have one you can't imagine not. The marginal cost and mileage difference is nothing in the big picture.

My Expedition is the extended wheel base and will be used for trips and the like.

This is her school and work mover so the extended rear is not a huge deal and only makes the parking structure more of a pain. Just need more room than the Highlander gives.

Plus 99% of vacations we go on her parents come and they have a Suburban so cargo is a plenty plus we have a rooftop carrier.

————————————————

Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
I have a 2018 Armada SL that I've had for just over a year. Previously I've been driving Tahoes or Suburbans for the last 20 years. I am really impressed with the Armada! Great power, leg room and reliability. I came across it after renting one on vacation. For the price it's hard to beat!

Posts: 675 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
I love the Expedition but if I were going to replace it I would definitely check out the Telluride. Beautiful vehicle and considerably less expensive. Only downside it's a first year vehicle.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1500 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Whatever she decides on congrats!

Is it just me, it seems like you guys are constantly selling/trading vehicles?

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
To answer your question - Tahoe, but I"m a guy so.....

Someone mentioned the Kia Telluride, if you're not adverse to a new vehicle check it out.
Telluride is C&D 10 Best Winner and Motor Trends SUV of the year...

JD Powers gives Kia, Genesis and Hyundai top three in Quality two years in a row.

Kia quality is at the top for past 5 years..

quote:
Highest-Ranking Brands and Models
Genesis ranks highest in overall initial quality with a score of just 63 PP100. Kia (70 PP100) places second and Hyundai (71 PP100) ranks third. This is the second year in a row that the three Korean brands are at the top of the overall ranking, and it is the fifth consecutive year that Kia is the highest-ranked mass market brand. Ford (83 PP100) ranks fourth and Lincoln (84 PP100) ranks fifth, marking the first time both Ford Motor Company brands place in the top five in the same year.

Link to JD Powers

It would be worth looking at they have 3 levels from $31K and up....

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Whatever she decides on congrats!

Is it just me, it seems like you guys are constantly selling/trading vehicles?

We have had the Highlander for 7 years would love to keep it just have outgrown it.
The Van we got rid of at a year it just flat sucked. Been in the Expedition almost 3 years now.

We do not have a winner yet.
The Armada was nixed immediately! We did not even drive it. There is absolutely no room in the 3rd row. With me sitting in the 3rd row one could not even fold the 2nd row seat into place.

The Tahoe/Yukon had acceptable room in the 3rd row but way too little cargo space behind the 3rd row only 15” to the Armada’s 21”.

The Sequoia gave the most comfortable seating in the 3rd row and still had 20” behind the 3rd row for cargo.

Very much to my surprise my wife looked at me and said I think we are going to have to go big or go home!!!!!!
https://www.neilhuffmangmfrank...-KY/3551290843#close

She is still debating. She like the Sequoia but is afraid it will be small in the end.

The Yukon XL Denali is pretty slick but we don’t really need the 6.2L motor, I don’t want 22” wheels.
So I’ll shop some more but my guess is she will settle on the Suburban or the Yukon XL.

————————————————

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Tahoe/Yukon had acceptable room in the 3rd row but way too little cargo space behind the 3rd row only 15” to the Armada’s 21”.

The Sequoia gave the most comfortable seating in the 3rd row and still had 20” behind the 3rd row for cargo.

It's a trade off isn't it? Where you want to use that space?
How hard is it to remove the third row when not in use?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24578 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
3rd Row will always be in use.
Now we generally will be able to fold one side down.

Cars.com and autotrader don’t have an option to filter for seating capacity/captains chairs as center row buckets are a must in the GM since you can’t remove the center seat of the 2nd row.

CarGurus and CarMax you can but results are limited.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
We took a 2019 Yukon XL 4x4 carrying 7 people all the way up the Peak 10 Trail in Breckenridge back in October and it did amazingly well. Well made trucks.

Posts: 441 | Location: Wichita, KS USA | Registered: April 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad has a 12 or 13 2wd Denali XL. Super comfortable highway cruiser, but averages maybe 17mpg.
We were averaging 9-11 mpg towing an open trailer with a Kawasaki Mule on it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post