SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will have “REAL ID” soon
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will have “REAL ID” soon Login/Join 
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma has not complied (one of those states that passed a law that they would not comply, although they reversed it a year ago). The current exemption expires in October. If the state does not get another exemption things could go haywire quickly. A whole lot of people would get a suprise if they could not board a domestic flight.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Although a REAL ID isn’t currently required for domestic airline flights, I’m wondering if it has any current benefits. E.g., less hassle with airport security?

Not a travel benefit, but you'll need a Real ID to make a firearms purchase

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
New Jersey is one of the few states that still have not complied for the Real ID. I have a passport but who really wants to carry it for a domestic flight. Earlier in the year the airlines listed what can be accepted for ID. I had my DOD, so I used it at the first TSA checkpoint with no problems. Second point where they search you, they wanted more ID. I didn't argue but let them know according to their rules my DOD ID was sufficient. They don't seem to know their own rules. I just renewed my drivers license in July and NJ still hasn't submitted the information to get us the Real ID. From what I have read, October is the last extension for NJ.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I figure it’s a way to slowly filter out the illegals who have been given a DL over the last ten years..eventually the RealID will be required and they can’t get em.

I just checked the Virginia DMV website. The documents they say will be required don't sound that tough to either steal or forge.
quote:
...must provide DMV with physical documentation of:
* Identity; (e.g. Unexpired U.S. passport or U.S. birth certificate)
* Legal Presence; (e.g. Unexpired U.S. passport or U.S. birth certificate)
* Social Security Number; and (e.g. Social Security card or payroll check stub)
* Residency (two proofs required). (e.g. utility bills or mortgage statements)
* Proof of any name changes (e.g. marriage certificates or divorce decrees)

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Well the OP didn't seem sure so I felt like I would confirm it for him. What may seem obvious to people who travel by air a lot isn't always to those who don't.

Fair enough.

And to the OP in regards to this: "Although a REAL ID isn’t currently required for domestic airline flights, I’m wondering if it has any current benefits. E.g., less hassle with airport security?"

No. As Pale Horse said, it has absolutely no benefits as far as getting through security faster or with less hassle.

Not quite. Without one, you won't be getting through security.

Which wasn't at all the gist of the question. In any case, a passport card or passport will get you through security just the same; a "REAL ID" isn't required to fly (domestically). But again, your form of ID has nothing to do with how expedited your process is through security. And that includes your military ID, unless you supply your DOD number previously so your boarding pass says TSA Pre-Check on it.

quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
New Jersey is one of the few states that still have not complied for the Real ID. I have a passport but who really wants to carry it for a domestic flight.

Get a Passport Card. It'll "solve" your REAL ID problem for domestic travel whether NJ gets its act together or not.

quote:
Earlier in the year the airlines listed what can be accepted for ID. I had my DOD, so I used it at the first TSA checkpoint with no problems. Second point where they search you, they wanted more ID.

I have no idea what you mean by second TSA checkpoint. Even when I've been picked for secondary or extra screening, I've never been asked for my ID again.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never waited more than 30 minutes at the DMV . Some of these horror stories are hard to believe .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I waited about 90 min in line to renew my license, they would not take my social security card as it was laminated, even though they have had my SS number for 48 years.

My license says not for federal ID, I have a passport and a Global Entry Card (GOES) card so for now I don't care.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Well the OP didn't seem sure so I felt like I would confirm it for him. What may seem obvious to people who travel by air a lot isn't always to those who don't.

Fair enough.

And to the OP in regards to this: "Although a REAL ID isn’t currently required for domestic airline flights, I’m wondering if it has any current benefits. E.g., less hassle with airport security?"

No. As Pale Horse said, it has absolutely no benefits as far as getting through security faster or with less hassle.

Not quite. Without one, you won't be getting through security.

Which wasn't at all the gist of the question. In any case, a passport card or passport will get you through security just the same; a "REAL ID" isn't required to fly (domestically). But again, your form of ID has nothing to do with how expedited your process is through security. And that includes your military ID, unless you supply your DOD number previously so your boarding pass says TSA Pre-Check on it.

quote:
New Jersey is one of the few states that still have not complied for the Real ID. I have a passport but who really wants to carry it for a domestic flight.

Get a Passport Card. It'll "solve" your REAL ID problem for domestic travel whether NJ gets its act together or not.

quote:
Earlier in the year the airlines listed what can be accepted for ID. I had my DOD, so I used it at the first TSA checkpoint with no problems. Second point where they search you, they wanted more ID.

I have no idea what you mean by second TSA checkpoint. Even when I've been picked for secondary or extra screening, I've never been asked for my ID again.

When I checked in at Atlantic City airport, I first had to go through a TSA checkpoint that asked to see my ticket and ID. I was then funneled to where you take your shoes off and empty your pockets and go through the scanning machine. That was 2 TSA checkpoint.
This past Monday I passed thru Canadian Customs when I got off a ship that sailed from Alaska. Then at the airport in Vancouver I had to go through American Customs checkpoint where I had to have my passport scanned. This was after going through Canadian airport security. I had thought U.S. customs would be in the U.S., but when I landed in Newark, it was get off the plane and go to baggage claim.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I checked in at Atlantic City airport, I first had to go through a TSA checkpoint that asked to see my ticket and ID. I was then funneled to where you take your shoes off and empty your pockets and go through the scanning machine. That was 2 TSA checkpoint.

That's odd. Like I said. I've never been ID'd at the "2nd TSA checkpoint." It's been over ten years though since I've flown out of Atlantic City.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's odd. Like I said. I've never been ID'd at the "2nd TSA checkpoint." It's been over ten years though since I've flown out of Atlantic City.

Atlantic City airport is now run by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. I find it interesting why New York has something to do with an airport over 80 miles from it borders. Up to that time, the NJ State Police ran security.

Living the Dream

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The REAL ID card doesn’t have a chip (as most current credit cards do). That surprises me. Seems like an obvious thing to make them harder to counterfeit.

“And although the prospect of RFID chip-embedded cards had been tossed around, at least for now, that particular stipulation (fortunately) has yet to make it into actual law.”

www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo.c...al-id-1505105796/amp

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
Oklahoma has not complied (one of those states that passed a law that they would not comply, although they reversed it a year ago). The current exemption expires in October. If the state does not get another exemption things could go haywire quickly. A whole lot of people would get a suprise if they could not board a domestic flight.

Same with Missouri.

We have a trip planned a week after the exemption expires in October. We didnt want to take a chance on missing our flights so we renewed our passports.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
I waited about 90 min in line to renew my license, they would not take my social security card as it was laminated, even though they have had my SS number for 48 years.

My license says not for federal ID, I have a passport and a Global Entry Card (GOES) card so for now I don't care.

Some states will allow you to use a current carry permit (and no other documents are needed) to qualify for a REAL ID certification on renewal of your drivers license.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Some states will allow you to use a current carry permit (and no other documents are needed) to qualify for a REAL ID certification on renewal of your drivers license.

You have to have at least one picture ID with your name and address. AZ CCW permits do not have any picture. Some states may. You also have to prove US citizenship. Both AZ regular drivers licenses and CCW permits can be issued to legal resident aliens, so for RealID, we need to provide a passport or birth certificate.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post