SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP Otto Warmbier
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Otto Warmbier Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sad, and unfortunate, but he did willingly sign up and pay for a tour that takes you to a country where even the slightest, seemingly most innocent thing can be interpreted as hostile. The ramifications of running afoul of the authorities there is nothing to take lightly.

Why on Earth would you willingly financially support such a despicable regime? I get the "curiosity" of "seeing" behind the Iron Curtain (or at least the laughable Disneyland-like facade of what they want you to see)...but would you willingly travel to Iraq or Afghanistan for sightseeing? Like the Middle East and Central Asia, the DPRK is technically a war zone with respect to the United States and our Allies. Outside of diplomats or military, one should have a very, very, compelling reason to travel there willingly.

Posts: 821 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
RIP Otto. May the good Lord embrace you and bless you and your family.
I pray that POTUS Trump gets some painful payback
for that POHE Kim.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Granted he broke the law in a foreign country, but that level of abuse in custody to the point of death seems a bit extreme for a crime that would be less than $100 anywhere else in the civilized world.

My sentiments EXACTLY. While a student trip to CNV was ill advised, this kid was imprisoned and tortured for 18-monts for taking what is, essentially, a "campaign poster" (not exactly, but from a college students perspective).

What he thought was a cool travel souvenir got him dead. Very sad.

And FUCK that fat, little, narcissistic, prick - KJU!!! Mad

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Very sad, RIP.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v...8001/?#sp=show-clips

North Korea used chemicals to stop Warmbier's heart: Dr. Marc Siegel

Jun. 20, 2017 - 3:09 - NYU Langone Professor of Medicine Dr. Marc Siegel on the death of Otto Warmbier.

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The disgusting rhetoric of the racist, America-hating Left.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/547...880001#sp=show-clips

"Cretins, through and through." No doubt.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Just heard on the news that the family declined an autopsy.

Makes no sense, you'd think they'd want to know what may have contributed to his death.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Maybe they just want to be left alone to mourn the death of their loved one.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Maybe they just want to be left alone to mourn the death of their loved one.

Ha, yeah, good point.

They've probably been through enough.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

Makes no sense, you'd think they'd want to know what may have contributed to his death.

Losing a member of the family can be a very stressful event for the parents. You have to put it behind you and move on. If not, I have seen the stress cause cancer within a period of ten years or so.

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I saw this hinted at months ago when he was first incarcerated.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion...t-otto-warmbier.html

quote:
*SNIP*

On January 2, Warmbier was arrested while in the process of departing North Korea from the Pyongyang airport. The other guests in his tour group all left the country without incident. On February 29, 2016, he “confessed” to stealing a piece of North Korean propaganda to take back to the United States as a “trophy” for someone from his home-town church who offered to pay him for it with the gift of a car worth $10,000.

*SNIP*

Does anybody know if this is true, about somebody offering him money for a poster?

If so, that guy has blood on his hands. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:

they already know, and so does everyone else

North Korea killed him

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
quote:

they already know, and so does everyone else

North Korea killed him

Maybe it's better that they NOT know the specific details of how they tortured and tormented their son for months. . .?

Some things are better left unknown.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
A terrible loss.

Even sadder that there is really nothing that the USA can do about it. We have no ties with NK that we could cut. There are no sanctions we could impose that we haven't already that would matter at all. Military retaliation is off the table. There is just nothing we can do other than issue a strongly worded condemnation, which will mean zero to the Norks.

we could impose sanctions on China for supporting them though. My understanding is that they have missiles that could reach Seoul, which is why, like you said, we can't do anything militarily (unfortunately)

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I think an autopsy is something "we" want. The family of course is in a very different position.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39229 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post