SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anoyone Else Just Plain Like Baseball?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anoyone Else Just Plain Like Baseball? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
High School/Pony (as long as the coaches are good/well mannered), college, minors, majors; I really like watching a good game of baseball.

Maybe keeping score for my son's teams or maybe hearing Vin Scully, Harry Carey, and other radio greats - or a combo of all the above are the reason.

I played water polo and swam in college so playing the game isn't why it appeals to me.

Anybody else here love the game (or another which they do/did not play)?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14142 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yup. Don't get to see much of it, but love it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12915 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Baseball is the only team sport that I watch. (I am too uncoordinated to play any.) Most of the sports move too fast for me to keep up with the action. Baseball is more my style. (And there usually is no real violence during a game, either.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta love those Red Sox

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 268 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I did and do. I need to find time to watch more of the local college games like I used to. While I love the game, I've all but abandoned MLB for various reasons. Haven't watched or listened to a game in years. The last two times "my team" was in the World Series, I didn't even bother to follow the outcome.

Posts: 21339 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
No better way to spend an evening than at a ball park. Well, I can think of many better ways to spend an evening, but I love a night at the park. Played ball and coached it.

Many years ago my brother and I traveled to the east coast; we did nothing but watch live pro ball, drink beer and assess ball park food. It was the trip of a lifetime. Caught the Sox, Yankees, Mets, Orioles and a couple other clubs over two weeks of beer drinking fan barnstorming.

Posts: 3263 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I do, but my team just plain sucks. Seattle Mariners. Frown

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19702 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I do

And I'm a dodgers fan

And I'm a fucking nervous wreck right now

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Count me in. I loved playing, and watching. My team , the Brewers, did a lot better than expected this year, looking forward to next season.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, wife and I are both big fans. I am a Nats fan, she loves her Giants.

Posts: 203 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Not any more. Baseball died for me when the Dodgers left Brooklyn.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31374 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan. Loved to play and love to follow the pennant race. I seldom watch on tv even though I subscribe to MLB.com and can get all the games. What I much prefer is the audio feed. I think baseball is better suited for radio, at least for my taste. I listened to the Houston audio feed last night and the play by play was good. No commercials on the MLB.com audio feed either, or video for that matter.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yes, but not so much the Majors any more. Really like college bb. I follow the U of Arizona through the season, watch a lot of the "Road to Omaha" Regionals and Super Regionals, and most of the College World Series.

Posts: 13559 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta love a game that is best played in warm, sunny weather and there isn't a clock counting down. It ain't over till the last man is out.

Posts: 430 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Nope not me. Ever since they went on strike years ago for more money to play a game I have no need for them.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1434 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
It is my favorite game. I watch my Braves religiously (which is hard right now) and follow the Georgia Tech program closely. I played when I was young and in HS but I am reduced to only playing in a work industry softball league now, but it is still a ton of fun.

There is so much nuance to the game and I love the pace. I also love football but part of that is the atmosphere and pageantry of the game.

People talking about the strike are missing the point. Baseball is a game. Baseball never went on strike.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10570 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Win Forever
posted Hide Post
I love the game and could watch it at any level. When I travel for work or go on vacation, I try to catch a local game and most of the time find a good minor league, college, or summer league team playing. For me it is about the overall experience, being outside, the grass, the smell of a leather glove, and the intricate aspects of the game. I like to watch how all 9 fielders move when a ball is put into play, it is a pretty amazing game. And yes, it is a game of failure with only about 3-4 minutes of overall action in a game, but to me it is a perfect game that can be enjoyed at any age.

I have also been blessed in my life to have played when younger, coached my son up to high school, and now I get to enjoy watching him in high school and being recruited to play college baseball.

Posts: 692 | Location: Charlottesville, VA & Seattle, WA | Registered: May 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
In person. Can't stand to watch it on TV.

Only sport I can stand on TV is The Bengals as it is generally cold but still prefer being at the game. Though I have dumped the NFL. Don't watch the Bengals nor do I wear any of the gear.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25665 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's okay.

Lotta standing around waiting. When the action occurs though - it can be quite dramatic.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Baseball family here. Grew up watching the Astros in the Dome. I have two boys, age 13 and 11, that play travel ball. We drove to San Diego this spring for the World Baseball Classic with a stop in Arizona for spring training games. We will likely finish the baseball year at Minuite Made Park Sunday watching game 5 of the WS. Yep, we like us some baseball over here Cool

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post