SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anoyone Else Just Plain Like Baseball?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anoyone Else Just Plain Like Baseball? Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Have always enjoyed the post season for the majors. But all "playoffs", pros, college, hs, are great to me. Regular season is way too long.

As I get older the more I'm attracted to the statistics of the game. Thanks Billy Bean!

And from a Southerner, Go Yankees!!!

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just like all things baseball, from Little League to the Majors.
There are some things I do not particularly like about the direction some of the rules are going, but they will get worked out I think.
Some complain about the slow pace and long periods of inaction. That does not bother me, there are numerous things going on behind the obvious that are fun to watch and speculate on to me.
My son is also a fan, always has been so it is fun for us to talk baseball incessantly.
I also enjoy the almost obsessive way that baseball stats and records have been kept. Very interesting to me and keeps me engaged.

Posts: 405 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Not any more. Baseball died for me when the Dodgers left Brooklyn.

I was 8 when the Dodgers arrived from Brooklyn. That started my love of Baseball. I saw many games at the Coliseum and Stadium. Listened to Vin and Jerry every game. A few years later the Angels started up. Met several of them in person at local park where traveling squads trained. Sat in the dugout next to Bill Rigney and players. Loved the games at Wrigley Field in LA.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6400 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I find baseball to be about the most boring game there is to watch. Two guys throwing a ball back and forth for 3 hours. And the one thing that the fans seem to get the most worked up about - the "perfect game" - is even more so. Nothing happens! Snore.

That said, I do know that it's different when you're actually AT the the game as opposed to watching it on the tube. Not sure why, maybe because if you're at the park you're probably rooting for one team or the other. I went to a few of my nephew's little league games and they were kind of fun, but I have no interest at all in pro ball, even with the World Series going on now. I don't have a favorite team, but do I not have a favorite team because I don't care about the game, or do I not care about the game because I don't have a favorite team? Dunno.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I grew playing childhood baseball, and I used to go to Astros games by myself - my grandmother used to drop me off at the Astrodome.

I used to be very vocal in the stands, and the players would look up at me with my calls.

However, I ended my love for the sport after the strike back in the '90s. However, I did take my family to an Astrid game a few years ago so they could experience a pro baseball game and to check out the new stadium. We all had a good time, but it wasn't enough to bring me back.

This is neither here nor there, but I can't stand the new uniforms with the long legs.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1215 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I find baseball to be about the most boring game there is to watch. Two guys throwing a ball back and forth for 3 hours. And the one thing that the fans seem to get the most worked up about - the "perfect game" - is even more so. Nothing happens! Snore.

It's such a technical game with so much nuance you really have to give it a chance. It's the hardest sport to play as well because you have to be so good at so many different things. Pro baseball players are some of the biggest d-bags ever, but that doesn't keep me from loving the game.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Baseball is my favorite of the big-time pro sports, although I also like hockey a lot. (Some would argue hockey is big-time, though.)

Basketball just isn't that interesting of a game to me.

Football is better than basketball. And I enjoy college football more than the pro game. But it is so slow. Start - go for five seconds. Stand a around for three minutes. Go for six seconds . . . Baseball may be slower paced, but the rhythm of baseball is so good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Philistine. Nothing happens at a perfect game? Only perfection, and where else are you going to see perfection?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Philistine. Nothing happens at a perfect game? Only perfection, and where else are you going to see perfection?

Apparently I'm also a Philistine when it comes to pizza. They're having an 'event' at the office today, pizza provided. But damn, there wasn't a slice of pepperoni to be had, and it ain't pizza if it doesn't have pepperoni on it. Nothing but roasted chicken and vegetarian crap.

As for perfection, there's very little perfect in the world. However, there was this one stripper that I used to go and watch...

Posts: 7395 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Ohio, I enjoyed the minor league teams and games.
Cheaper, better seats and more fun.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16375 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The Brooklyn Dodgers. My uncle lived in an apartment house with a view of Ebbets Field from the roof. We used to go up to the roof to watch the games from a distance.

My first sports hero, when I was about 10 or 11, was Jackie Robinson. I never did understand why he was treated as a second class (or worse) citizen when they were on the road.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31374 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
..... (And there usually is no real violence during a game, either.)

flashguy

Ah, come on... are you too young to remember Nolan Ryan vs Robin Ventura? Big Grin

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Well, let's see. I payed little league. I played summer ball. I played high school baseball. I went to college on a baseball scholarship. I coached kids baseball from eight years olds through 18 year olds, for almost 10 years (PONY, Babe Ruth, USSSA, and AAU). And I purchase the MLB package every year so I don't miss a game.

Yeah, you might say I'm a huge baseball fan. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Big Detroit fan, even in their slump years.

I go to a lot of local minor league games, but I am just a novice fan.

Women's collegiate basketball is the only basketball I can stand. No football for me, and like to catch hockey games from Liberty University.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Greatest team game in sports !! Been playing since I was 6 up to my late teens. Been coaching, and umpiring for the last 8 years.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14038 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I only like baseball if I'm at the game. There's just something about being in ballpark.

I'll watch the World Series if it's a good one, but otherwise I'd rather watch paint dry than sit through nine innings of a meaningless regular season game.

I think they should cut the season down to 50 or 60 games. That might make it a little more interesting to watch and pay attention to. 162 games is just stupid IMO.

Posts: 20557 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I only like baseball if I'm at the game. There's just something about being in ballpark.

I'll watch the World Series if it's a good one, but otherwise I'd rather watch paint dry than sit through nine innings of a meaningless regular season game.

I think they should cut the season down to 50 or 60 games. That might make it a little more interesting to watch and pay attention to. 162 games is just stupid IMO.

I agree, playoffs and World Series should be over 1st week in Sept.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes ! I will sit and watch any 2 teams. Even collegiate softball I sat and watched the CWS. Even at the little league field after my son's games were over we'd stay and watch other teams. His little league hosts the Intermediate little league World Series every August. I even drove over and watches those kids play. They were really good.

I played football in high school and I find it tedious to watch ollege or pro. Basketball I will watch the final 2-3 minutes if not a blowout.

Posts: 4954 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Yes.

I can't even bring myself to watch MLB on TV anymore, but I take the family to every Sunday home game of our local minor league club.

Go Rascals.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Yup it’s my favorite. When I was a kid in grade school I read the sports pages looking for anything about Mickey Mantle or Roger Marris. All the stats. I never read anything bad about my hero’s or the Yankee’s. As I grew up and I traveled and I got to watch baseball in a few different cities. When I moved to St Louis I got to see quite a few games. It is great place to watch baseball. They respect the game. What is better than a hot summer day with cold beer watching baseball.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post