SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got the hummingbird feeders out today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got the hummingbird feeders out today Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Still haven't seen a hummingbird. I'm bummed.

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be a downer, but I’m still lightly researching reduced songbird numbers. I’ve noticed it on the property, at the feeders, now this Spring. When I Google, I see mention of reduced bird numbers.

To many with a busy life, not something that’s on the radar screen, hardly notice. It depends on the species too, where, habitat & type of food they consume. I don’t buy the ‘habitat’ excuse.

Anyway, take notice & keep an eye out birders.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We have the hands-off feeder, called a Desert Willow tree (not a true willow though). It has trumpet shaped flowers that the hummers love. The flowers drop daily, and are immediately replaced. If you look at a branch end where the flower is, you can see a dozen or so buds waiting in line. Perpetual fresh flowers all summer long.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My wife's had two feeders out for a couple weeks, but I just saw our first humming bird on Saturday. The little pigs are buzzing around the house almost constantly now, and she's filling the feeders every other day.

Our resident orioles returned on Sunday. One year we were lucky & they hung their nest in the big maple behind the house, so we were able to watch them from the back porch. But most years we can't find where they nested until Fall when the trees are bare. They always pick one of the huge trees, then hang their nest high up, and on the end of a branch where it'll catch the breeze.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 2 feeders have been up for less than a week. 10 minutes after hanging, they were chowing down, and haven't stopped. Fun to watch.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
Our 2 feeders have been up for less than a week. 10 minutes after hanging, they were chowing down, and haven't stopped. Fun to watch.

I don't know how much sugar my wife uses in the feeders every Summer, but it's got to be near 20 lbs. The orioles & occasionally some downey woodpeckers eat out of the hummingbird feeders too.

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. West Illinois seeing hummers now.

Rose rested grosbeak and orioles too

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still have not seen one hummingbird. I've put the same feeders out for
ten or twelve years. It's mid May. I miss them.

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Put mine out about 10 days ago. Don't know if they come back to the same spot every year but I had 2 of them hanging out at the spot on the porch eaves where I always put the feeder like they were waiting for it so up it went. I usually end up with 5 or 6 of them. Let the battles begin.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I've had mine out for a week and I saw my first one yesterday and another one today.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
Put ours out about a month ago; So far have seen Black chins, Ruby throats and a Rufas or two. It started slow but all seem to be hitting pretty regular now.

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
My SMokin' Hot Wife banned hummingbird feeders Frown
After her trip to Costa Rica where some hippieDogooder told her that feeding them is bad

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The hummingbirds are active up at the lake. I'm seeing more bird varieties up there than I have in a number of years and in numbers. Just this weekend I had in addition to the usual Hummingbirds, Gold Finches, Cardinals, Orioles, Blue Jay's Red Wing Blackbirds, Grosebeaks, swallows and the usual nut hatches.

This is very odd because the last few years I've commented on the lack of birds up there as it was very noticeable. The national forest starts right where I stop mowing the lawn but this is the first year for this many bird sightings. I'm very glad to finally see it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I noticed a hummingbird checking out my empty feeder ~ 8/15. So I cleaned and filled it. I got two fighting over it quickly. Just put my 3rd feeder up.

This is NW Houston.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
We have a few. They stay up year round, as we have them here year round.
We also have a ladderback woodpecker that drinks a ton of the hummingbird juice. There is a pair of them and they just gorge on suet, then suck down the juice. Pisses my wife off. I think they’re pretty cool, and the fattest woodpeckers I have ever seen.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kept my feeders out for 2 months, changed the sugar water weekly.
Never saw one. First time in 15 years.
This website shows their migration north every year. https://www.hummingbirdcentral...-spring-2022-map.htm

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Funny little creatures, we have a few every year. Experts say they often return to the same place every year. I believe it after last year... we were a tad late getting our feeders out and then one day one showed up at our kitchen window, where we always hang a feeder. It came several times just hovering in from of the window staring in at us until we got the feeders out and hung!

We only have have a few and it drives the wife crazy because they fight viciously over the feeders. We had never seen more than five. One year... wife put out one feeder for each bird and one extra, 6 feeders for 5 birds, spaced all around the house and yard We have almost 4ac. They still fought over them!

They successfully migrate hundreds of miles and back... why can't they find their way out of my garage?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
We've been seeing increased activity around our two feeders in the past week or so. The little hogs are feeding like crazy preparing for their trip South.

Thomas Sowell

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
We've been seeing increased activity around our two feeders in the past week or so. The little hogs are feeding like crazy preparing for their trip South.

Same thing here, they're going through a smallish feeder once a day, a larger every two days. We had very few this year, not sure why. Our Orioles were back for the 4th or 5th year, nested and loved their feeder. They share with hummingbirds on a specific oriole feeder.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Living on the coast just south of San Francisco, we never took our feeder down.

There's constant action, never lets up - winter, fall, summer, spring.

I mix straight sugar 1 ~ 4 in hot water and bottle, then store it in the fridge till needed.

Lots of hummingbirds here.

Do you get any Pigmy Nuthatch? Razz

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post