SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got the hummingbird feeders out today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got the hummingbird feeders out today Login/Join 
posted
Probably a week or two late, they will come.
One at the front window,one at the back window.
So much fun to watch,and boy are they fast!

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you also put orange halves out for the orioles ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We put ours out yesterday. We've seen hummers at the feeder today. We're in Illinois near St Louis.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Do you also put orange halves out for the orioles ?

I wish we had Orioles around here. Lots of Cardinals, Bluejays and Finches!

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
So much fun to have those out. I had my first visitor on Thursday. Hoping more show up.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
TTIWWoP

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My wife's had her humming bird feeder out for more than a week, but we haven't seen any so far. I think she goes through about 50 lbs of sugar feeding those little hogs every Summer.Smile

We also have two pairs of orioles who nest every year in our trees out back. They never use the same trees two years in a row & never use an old nest. I'm told they return to the same area every year, but these have been coming back for well over 10 years, so maybe it's their offspring coming back too.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say put some grape jelly out or meal worms or an oriole feeder.

One or two might just show up this year.
You get more fish when your bait is in the water

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I say put some grape jelly out or meal worms or an oriole feeder.

One or two might just show up this year.
You get more fish when your bait is in the water

I've heard of the grape jelly. My problem is the squirrels.
We used to have Redtailed hawks in the neighborhood, but I
haven't seen them in a couple years and the squirrel population
has exploded. Live and let live. I would love to see an Oriole.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:

I would love to see an Oriole.

I'm probably 20 miles due south of you. We see lots of things down here along the river. The most interesting recently are the Bald Eagles. I knew there were some east of here, but now I see some about every week. We also see some herons at the water's edge. Some of what appear to be Storks from time to time. My guess is they become trapped in barges that come up the Misissippi after getting trapped in covered barges. Once here, they seem to hang around for a while.

Back to the eagles. We eat about once a week over in Miamitown. The wife drives and i watch the tall trees along the Miami River. Because they don't wear jerseys with numbers, I may be seeing the same one.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:

I would love to see an Oriole.

I'm probably 20 miles due south of you. We see lots of things down here along the river. The most interesting recently are the Bald Eagles. I knew there were some east of here, but now I see some about every week. We also see some herons at the water's edge. Some of what appear to be Storks from time to time. My guess is they become trapped in barges that come up the Misissippi after getting trapped in covered barges. Once here, they seem to hang around for a while.

Back to the eagles. We eat about once a week over in Miamitown. The wife drives and i watch the tall trees along the Miami River. Because they don't wear jerseys with numbers, I may be seeing the same one.

Thirty years ago I lived in Cleves, Do you go to the Beir Haus in Miamitown? I used to work in Harrison, went there many times.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We have the feeders out for a few weeks. The Hummingbirds are here but not the quantity we used to have. We have an Oriole feeder, too, and like other years there seems to be a pair here. The Hummers like that feeder, too. We use the same sugar mixture for both and both species seem to like it.

The Orioles will nest in our palm trees, for a few years we had Hummingbirds nesting on the patio. A nest was started last year but not finished

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a Hummingbird drinking out of one of my bird baths with fountain today. they are a little late but have good company. Cardinals, Bluebirds, Orioles , finches out the butt and even Red Crested Grossbeaks !
Frikking Aviary in my back yard.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Nope, the Main Street. Its a good place. Usually Wednesday afternoon, after the rush. We try to eat in the side room.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. West Illinois saw one at the feeders today..

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Put feeders out today and already getting activity. Southern Indiana

Only Oriole I've ever had was last year and I got a picture.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
SW MO, had them up last week. Colder weather seems to have delayed them some here.

I saw that hummingbird "bar" feeder online and since Her Birthday was coming up went to the hardware store (with coupons) to get some presents. Saw one of those bar feeders and got it. Put it up last week with brackets to properly hold it up. Works just fine - we have aggressive birds here who stake out a feeder and chase other birds. Not sure it's chase them off or chase them to see which one stops.

We get ruby throats here and they will stay thru late September.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Two feeders out, 3 hummers so far. They arrived on 4/13/

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Living on the coast just south of San Francisco, we never took our feeder down.

There's constant action, never lets up - winter, fall, summer, spring.

I mix straight sugar 1 ~ 4 in hot water and bottle, then store it in the fridge till needed.

Lots of hummingbirds here.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Living on the coast just south of San Francisco, we never took our feeder down.

There's constant action, never lets up - winter, fall, summer, spring.

I mix straight sugar 1 ~ 4 in hot water and bottle, then store it in the fridge till needed.

Lots of hummingbirds here.

I envy you. We only have one species this side of the Mississippi. Still haven't seen one yet.