SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Did Man Come Into Existence?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Did Man Come Into Existence? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
1) God created us.

Posts: 169 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
I wrestle with the concept of God. I'm like Thomas, I suppose - I believe, help me with my unbelief. As an engineer, I tend toward the explanations involving reason and science. But reason and science are not mutually exclusive of a belief in the supernatural.

One thing I have come to realize is that I tend to put God in a box - I create Him in my own image, I try to understand Him from my own ethnocentric point of view. Where, in reality, God is so much more than that and I have no chance of comprehending what He is.

Our understanding of God is like a mosquito's understanding of man. (Poor analogy, but it's all I've got off-the-cuff.) Depending on the mosquito, man is a source of food (the cosmic "Santa Claus"), an annoyance with his constant swatting and repellent, or the being that slaps him out of existence. In reality, the man has so much going on that the mosquito is nothing more than a small part of his reality. Think about it - if you think man is the only thing God has going on, then you have a very inflated view of man's importance and place.

So my answer is a combination of several of the choices.

I don't think I explained myself very well, so I think I'll stop now before I get myself into trouble.

I will have to disagree with you, that man is not that important to God. He gave His Son, that part of Himself for us-not for the mosquito, cow, etc., but to man. He lowered Himself for us. He could have done away with us but did not because of His love for man. He even gave man power over all the animals. That is how much He loves us.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
I wrestle with the concept of God. I'm like Thomas, I suppose - I believe, help me with my unbelief. As an engineer, I tend toward the explanations involving reason and science. But reason and science are not mutually exclusive of a belief in the supernatural.

One thing I have come to realize is that I tend to put God in a box - I create Him in my own image, I try to understand Him from my own ethnocentric point of view. Where, in reality, God is so much more than that and I have no chance of comprehending what He is.

Our understanding of God is like a mosquito's understanding of man. (Poor analogy, but it's all I've got off-the-cuff.) Depending on the mosquito, man is a source of food (the cosmic "Santa Claus"), an annoyance with his constant swatting and repellent, or the being that slaps him out of existence. In reality, the man has so much going on that the mosquito is nothing more than a small part of his reality. Think about it - if you think man is the only thing God has going on, then you have a very inflated view of man's importance and place.

So my answer is a combination of several of the choices.

I don't think I explained myself very well, so I think I'll stop now before I get myself into trouble.

And I am going to agree with you, sort of. I get what you are saying. I’ve struggled my entire life with the previous question in the thread about “if man needs a creator then so does god and who created God?”

But your analogy of the mosquito is similar to what I’ve heard (and I forget who, it was a YouTube debate). God is outside our realm. We can’t possibly grasp how God came to exist or always existed. It’s like an ant in an ant farm asking who created the dude feeding them.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have often wondered if God, in a moment of levity, created Man as a little practical joke on the other animals. Then, when it came time to end the practical joke, God was reluctant to do so - he chose to let us "extinct" ourselves. Based on current progress, it appears we are right on schedule if The Comet doesn't get us first.

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
2. But exactly every step along the way we may never know. There exists the possibility that it was random, and there exists the possibility that it was not.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't be some " God"

God's know every thing.

If a "God" knew that people would be treating each other this way,
Do you think for a second that

He/she would just go ahead and
Create man,

Out of boredom or cruelty ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
As for the “If man came from apes, why are there still apes?”

1. Man didn’t come from apes. We share a common ancestor from some 7 million years ago.
2. There are no “missing links.” A band of apes didn’t produce a “missing link” which in turn produced humans.
3. The “First human” was pretty much indistinguishable from the rest of his tribe and family. Evolution is slow.
4. Apes have evolved to suit their environment. There is no reason a species must go extinct when a new one appears. The “why still apes” can be seen When you go shopping. When you get home, should You be surprised to find old clothes in your closet?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
so, in six days, God created the heavens and the earth, and all the plants and animals. An Angel said, "Wow, God, that's a terrific piece of work, what's next?" And God said, "OH, I Guess I'll call it a day.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I believe there is a God and he has a purpose that involves righteous men and women.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
This

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
As for the “If man came from apes, why are there still apes?”

1. Man didn’t come from apes. We share a common ancestor from some 7 million years ago.
2. There are no “missing links.” A band of apes didn’t produce a “missing link” which in turn produced humans.
3. The “First human” was pretty much indistinguishable from the rest of his tribe and family. Evolution is slow.

1 and 2. Is there evidence in the fossil record of CHLCA?
3. Do you subscribe to the phyletic gradualism model?

To the OP's question of man's existence - In the beginning God created.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I believe there is a God and he has a purpose that involves righteous men and women.

I agree. I also believe that we move on after we leave this life.

I have a good friend who is an atheist, claims after we die we become food for the worms, nothing else. I told him if he is right and I am wrong, when we die we will never know. But if I am right and he is wrong, I will be able to "rub it in" every day forever. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
“if man needs a creator then so does god

doesn't this violate several of the rules of logical debate, in that the statement makes an assertion under the pretext of a hypothetical, thereby conditioning a response based on a flawed premise?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

I have a good friend who is an atheist, claims after we die we become food for the worms, nothing else. I told him if he is right and I am wrong, when we die we will never know. But if I am right and he is wrong, I will be able to "rub it in" every day forever. Smile

Sort of a George Carlin-esque variation on Pascal's wager.... Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with the #1 folks!

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
#1. Absolutely no doubt.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Energy and Nature created us.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

And of course God has a sense of humor. Smile

quote:
Personally, I think God created the earth and all its flora and fauna on Monday through Saturday, then went out for a bender with his bros on Saturday night. When he came in hung over to the max on Sunday, he looked at his ToDo list and all that was left was 'man'. And this is what we ended up with.

Yeah, well... made in the image and likeness of God, with free will and all. Sometimes we disappoint Him. Heck, I'm disappointed plenty by my fellow man as well. But sometimes I think we please Him too. Smile

As for our atheist friends... that's OK.
The only atheists who bother me are those that are so convinced that God does NOT exist that it becomes fanatical for them, a religion so to speak, with themselves as the gods.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Energy and Nature created us.

I get the energy part, totally.
It makes sense,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
God

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post