SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your "Take a Breath" or Zen or Centering "Thing"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your "Take a Breath" or Zen or Centering "Thing" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Intentional solitude. Between work and my bride, I don't get much time truly to myself. I've found that time spent by myself away from electronic gadgets recharges and recenters me. The three ways I typically excercise solitude are: 1)I'll go shooting in the woods for an hour, then spend 1-2 hours picking up brass and just sitting on the tailgate soaking in the sounds and smells of the forest, 2) I take long walks(3-10 miles), and 3) take the boat out alone and anchor for a few hours.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
LS1K,
You have mail to your profile email.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
Locked away in my man cave ... my reloading room, with a Lenny Susskind lecture playing in the background while I work-up loads and run my presses.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

....What definitely gives me a nice recharge is flying electric RC airplanes. It takes your total focus so everything else in life just drops away.

Any suggestion for a decent beginner plane?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ride my motorcycle but the season has ended for that. But I can always take a walk in Park Cemetery (it actually is a city park) or Presque Isle Park. Walked the Cemetary today and other than the permanent occupants, I had it all to myself.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Play my guitar for 20-30 minutes every day.

Play chess on the internet for a while every day.

Dragon and Tiger Medical Qigong along with some Tai Chi every day.

Watching DVDs with my wife for a couple of hours every evening.

Edited to add listening to classical music.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ogie,

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:

Chess.com ?

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
quote:

Chess.com ?

Usually FICS which I have been using since the 1990s, or lichess, or Playchess.com.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Hunting, but I really like crossbow hunting. Just getting out and away from it all. Watching the sun come up from the woods, watching the sun go down. Being outside, away from it all, clears my mind.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:

Usually FICS which I have been using since the 1990s, or lichess, or Playchess.com.

Gotcha.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
quote:

Gotcha.

Just to add that lichess is the best of those that I mentioned.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Guitar, bicycle ride, or jiu jitsu.

If my daughter is home, just laying on the couch and watching YouTube videos with her does the trick.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just to add that lichess is the best of those that I mentioned.

Will check it out, thanks!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

....What definitely gives me a nice recharge is flying electric RC airplanes. It takes your total focus so everything else in life just drops away.

Any suggestion for a decent beginner plane?

There are a bunch of them but I really like the one I linked below. It comes with everything you need including a transmitter that is already programmed with a “safe” mode. It basically doesn’t let you bank too much. It is also made out of EPP foam which is way more durable than the typical cheap beer cooler foam. It has a 24.4” wingspan so you will be able to fly it at local ball field because it will fly much slower than the typical larger airplanes of this type.

There are some videos of it from various YouTubers at the bottom of the link I provided.

https://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-a...4R.html?AFFID=422294

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Exercise usually provides a very good reset.

When things seem at their worst, I just lay on the floor with a Moody Blues album. Takes me back to those formative years Smile

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
When Covid hit, it really forced our family to slow down. We spent a lot more time together, went fishing, took walks, stuff like that. I found that I really enjoyed it. Then I got diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, and I'm trying to keep that under control mostly through diet and exercise, so these days I get up and run every morning, and also try to take a walk in the afternoon.

I'm not someone who loves running, but I've found joy in being up and about before everybody else, watching the sun come up on my days off (I'm out way before that on work days), and seeing all the animals (deer, possums, raccon, sandhill cranes, and even the occasional owl) out and about. This morning was the first day for ice and snow on the road, which made running a little sketchy, but it was cool seeing all the animal tracks and realizing how much life is going on all around us that we don't even know about.

My wife and I also try to take daily walks in the afternoon with the dog. It gives us a chance to spend time together and talk that we don't otherwise get, and also helps with my blood sugar. It's really relaxing and enjoyable.

Fishing is another big one. We have a little boat and a bunch of lakes withing 10 minutes of the house, so we sepnd a lot of time out there getting lines wet. For a while it was mostly spent baiting and untangling lines for the kids, but they're getting old enough now that that's less of a problem and it's a nice relaxing time wih the kids catching fish.

A big one that I can't do on a regular basis is spending time in the mountains out west in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. There's just something about the clear air, few people, and majestic scenery that brings me peace. We didn't get to go this year, and it looks like next year may be out as well, and I'm already missing it.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post