SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your "Take a Breath" or Zen or Centering "Thing"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your "Take a Breath" or Zen or Centering "Thing" Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Apologies for the vague title but what I am trying to say is with everything being sort of a 5 alarm shit show (not just politics) and a lot of us sort of reaching that apathy point so to speak, I figured it might do us all good to talk about that thing or things that let us tune out for a bit and take a breath.

While I like to drive and love movies good and bad my personal zen, re-centering thing is shooting airguns. I've posted some of my stuff in the past here but they really are my escape so to speak.

-I can shoot them whenever I want
-They require a fairly large amount of concentration on my part
-They provide immediate feedback
-Like golf you can never be "perfect"
-The period between lining up and breaking a shot is like a vacation from everything because everything except breathing, trigger control and follow through are the only thing that exist for me.

So that's my "escape" so to speak. It doesn't make the world better but it lets me tune it out for twenty minutes or so a day.

What is your HEALTHY escape (not thinking about alcohol and or drugs here)

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I make these … hamons on shallow hardening steels. This is W2 iirc.

I also play guitar. Additionally, I enjoy the love of German shepherd dogs every single moment of the day.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites is riding my motorcycle on the sparsely traveled paved roads through the nearby national forest. Too bad it's seasonal.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23262 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
For me, just to completely relax by myself, not worry about a single thing, to enter that zone of pure pleasure and relaxation, smoking a cigar with a nice drink in hand, while sitting in my backyard admiring the view.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16702 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
#1 is long, hot showers. The shower is my "happy place". It's where I go after a stressful day or after hard physical work to wash the grime off - both literally and metaphorically. My body can relax while I either turn my brain off and just be, or think deep thoughts and problem solve, depending on which one's necessary.

Having a large, nicely finished shower with good water pressure and a large water heater capacity is a must for me.

A close #2 is playing and wrestling with my 130 pound Labradoodle. He's just so happy and loving and positive all the time, so he has the ability to wrench me out of even the biggest funk.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
I cut my grass. Pretty simple mindless following the lines. Helps me unplug.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I try to avoid needing to "take a breath" in the first place.
  • Watch, read, and listen to almost no "news" whatsoever
  • Participate in almost no social media
  • Avoid toxic people
  • Read almost exclusively books that either entertain or are "personal improvement" books.
  • Eat a healthy, balanced diet
  • Exercise regularly--nearly daily
  • Get sufficient good sleep (minimum of seven hours a night, usually 7-1/2)
  • Stay hydrated
  • Practice relaxation for at least a couple minutes each day
  • Remind myself, should I feel myself becoming angry, annoyed, frustrated, stressed, etc. that these are states of mind and I don't need to respond to <whatever> with negative thoughts
To that last point: On a road trip to buy something, day-before-yesterday, I experienced:
  1. Finding out what I'd expected to be a 2-hour drive each way would be over 2-1/2
  2. Half-way there having the tank in my vaping device develop a leak and lose all its juice
  3. Finding the longest segment was a two-lane rural highway with an inordinate number of slow drivers, slow trucks, and farm equipment being moved at a snail's pace
As each one of these occurred I reminded myself: I really want this thing, I have all the time in the world, there's no reason to stress, and becoming frustrated, annoyed, or angry would do nothing but make the trip less enjoyable.

Again, yesterday: Had my day planned. Then the water incursion problem happened. I could have gotten all wrapped-around-the-axle over having my plans frustrated and having to do the PITA work I knew I'd have to do. Didn't even have to remind myself that would just make things worse. I simply stoically acknowledged it was what it was and carried on.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Cooking.
I forget all of my worries and stresses when making something delicious and exciting in the kitchen.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I just recognize that nothing is really a 5 alarm shit show. There's waaaaaayyyy too much good out there in life to let yourself get mired in the doom and gloom all the time. Sure, there's plenty of crap, but it's really a small portion of life.

Go hiking, camping, motorcycle riding. Have lunch with a friend, hug a family member, go out and find religion. Drive to a town you've never been to and see what's there. Try a new type of restaurant, cook a meal you've never tried before, watch a sunrise or sunset. Visit a nursing home, volunteer to feed the homeless, adopt a dog from a shelter (or just go play with them).

Life is huge and wonderful and every single person in the first world is already incredibly blessed with opportunity to enjoy it. Turn off the news, cut back on social media, and get out there.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Gaming on tablet or console.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Camping and hiking would be #1, but it is necessarily only a few times per year.

Motorcycle riding on back roads, or on dirt roads to camping is a great relaxer.

On a daily basis, playing guitar. Even better is playing in an ensemble with top notch musicians (used to be weekly before C19).

Posts: 9451 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Getting out on the water.

Doesn’t mater if it is out fishing, sailing, on the kayak, just a pleasure cruise to nowhere, By myself or with my wife. Being on the water just takes the entire world and puts it aside.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3852 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I practice anapanasati, zazen specifically.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31444 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
My family has taken up archery. Being able to shoot in the back yard is nice.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
One of my favorites is riding my motorcycle on the sparsely traveled paved roads through the nearby national forest. Too bad it's seasonal.

Same here Todd. While I love longer multi-day/week rides I really do a lot of local riding for just an hour or two most every nice day to relax and just remind myself how fortunate I am in many ways.
Every ride begins on this dirt/gravel road and depending on what bike I'm on I may avoid paved roads for the most part.

Or within a mile I can be on pleasant little paved roads seldom meeting other vehicles.

And yes while seasonal I also enjoy working on motorcycles so I take advantage of winter months for my motorcycle maintenance zen.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Mine used to be golf. When I was a "resident" it was the only thing that kept me sane and focused. My apartment was next to the second tee box of the local course and I had it timed so that I could sneak out and play 2-9 in the evenings, finishing 9 after the clubhouse closed and then walking across to play 1, finishing right at dark. No, I'm not too proud of the fact that I was stealing golf, but I did what I did and what I had to do at the time to keep from going crazy...I was flat broke and couldn't afford to pay greens fees every day. It was amazingly therapeutic as I was always the only one out there...just me and the course.

Nowadays I just go for a walk, think, and talk to myself. Or, sit on the deck with a cigar and a few fingers of whiskey.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Lot of motorcycle folks………not enough sheet metal around me on those. Eek

As far as archery goes, I can shoot darn near anything, hell I can even throw the occasional knife or axe passably but when it comes to a bow and arrow……a man has to know his limitations and I am pretty much a danger to myself and others with a bow and arrow. Smile. Like I should definitely have to yell the equivalent of FOUR!!! When loosing an arrow. Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I find solace in music. Either listening to my stereo, or noodling around on the guitar.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it has always been motorcycling. Riding dirt bikes always did it for me. Unfortunately I'm street only these days and with the attention span of the average driver and my age getting higher I'm noticing that not every ride is a recharge anymore.

What definitely gives me a nice recharge is flying electric RC airplanes. It takes your total focus so everything else in life just drops away.

I am working on an air gun setup in my basement. I have plenty of space for it but my bullet trap is not quite as good as I had hoped. If anyone has some good suggestions that you have had success with I'm all ears.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post