SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    “I Love Poison Ivy!” ...Said no one ever. (With Photos)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“I Love Poison Ivy!” ...Said no one ever. (With Photos) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am not very allergic. I can work in it all day, and just get a bit of rash and itch around my eyes, inside of wrist, between fingure, soft areas.
Wash as soon as possible, (to late for OP) with cool, soapy water. Hot or warm water just spreads it.
Never had it below the beltline. When you know what it looks like, and you know you've been in it, why would you even think of rubbing, touching or tugging?

When I have gotten it, enough to be distracting, bleach or white vinegar. Dry it out. I would use neither on an open rash like that though.
Might have some scaring from that.

Posts: 36 | Location: Near St Louis MO, Let's Go Blues! | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Scrub myself?

Just in case you aren't yanking my chain, the ivy is an oil on your skin you want to wash off the same day. Works best w/ a wash cloth, soap, and some scrubbing. I usually wash twice when I know I've been in contact.
When you don't wash it off, it sits on your skin and continues to cause a reaction. Like what I'm seeing in those pics.

Once you've washed the oil off your skin, you can itch all you want. The idea that it spreads from scratching is misunderstood due to the fact that it has a slow release and appears over time on different areas of the body.

^^^^ This! Tecnu works well and whatever you use, use a wash cloth - even better. think of it as washing off axle grease you cannot see.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2011 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Yeeouch! Leaves of three, let it be.

There's poison ivy all over behind the shop I work at, and substantial amounts of tall climbing poison sumac along the fence line behind our other building. Sucks, because our employer has decided to save money on lawn care by having us do mowing, edging, etc.

The ivy doesn't intimidate me too much, as most of it is low and can be handled with a string trimmer. The sumac... That stuff gives me the willies. It's a good 8-10 feet tall, and as I'm riding a 24HP/60" cut mower, I gotta remind myself to keep the discharge chute pointed away from it. Don't want to aerosolize the oil!

Weed and brush killer?
Hell, diesel fuel and epsom salts! (I'm kidding)

Seriously that's some nasty stuff!

I wish. You'd have to know my boss. He wanted me to mow the ivy (yeah, be a man and take it), then spray it.

F-ing brilliant. Yeah, have me be a tough guy and have at it. Going to buy chems and kill it before I wade in next time.

The sumac, not messing with it. Have a rash from monday. Discharge chute plus wind left my right forearm with a rash.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Had poison ivy encounters as a kid living on the east coast.

I was amazed a few years back to find it on one of my north facing hills on the place in Montana. Took me two seasons of hitting it with herbicide to kill it all.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post