SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    “I Love Poison Ivy!” ...Said no one ever. (With Photos)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“I Love Poison Ivy!” ...Said no one ever. (With Photos) Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
I decided to not heed the warnings of the guy who lived next to me for 50 years.

That really is poison ivy by my back fence after all.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Ouch - you get that bad!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Nasty!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Sumbitch!! Eek

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Feel bad for you. I never get a mild case, usually close to what you have. I will go to the doctor and get a steroid to clean it up. Otherwise, it stays for a week or two.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Yuck. That sucks.
Would you believe, of ALL the things I am allergic to (basically everything green in east Texas, and horses & cats), I can roll around in poison ivy naked and it doesn’t affect me. One of the universe’s cruel little jokes, I guess.

Hope it clears up soon. I understand it is quite miserable.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Wow, I've never seen anything like that. I've pulled it up and then showered and scrubbed w/ a soapy wash cloth and not had problems except for spots I missed.
I'm assuming you've washed the oil off by now? How long was it on you skin before scrubbing yourself?

Posts: 7370 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Scrub myself?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Scrub myself?

Just in case you aren't yanking my chain, the ivy is an oil on your skin you want to wash off the same day. Works best w/ a wash cloth, soap, and some scrubbing. I usually wash twice when I know I've been in contact.
When you don't wash it off, it sits on your skin and continues to cause a reaction. Like what I'm seeing in those pics.

Once you've washed the oil off your skin, you can itch all you want. The idea that it spreads from scratching is misunderstood due to the fact that it has a slow release and appears over time on different areas of the body.

Posts: 7370 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! That brings back memories of yester-year when my teenage female cousin bragged to her friends that she was immune to the stuff. To prove it, she grabbed two handfuls of leaves and proceeded to rub them vigorously on her bare arms and face.

She spent about two weeks recuperating and her body looked about like your arms. (I wasn't too sympathetic since I never cared much for her and her attitudes). I have always been pretty much immune to it, but I don't tempt Mother Nature!

Posts: 1627 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never run into it, at least not that I know of. by the looks of your pics, I hope I never do!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Steroid shot is the only thing that works for me.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3977 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Scrub myself?

Just in case you aren't yanking my chain, the ivy is an oil on your skin you want to wash off the same day. Works best w/ a wash cloth, soap, and some scrubbing. I usually wash twice when I know I've been in contact.
When you don't wash it off, it sits on your skin and continues to cause a reaction. Like what I'm seeing in those pics.

Once you've washed the oil off your skin, you can itch all you want. The idea that it spreads from scratching is misunderstood due to the fact that it has a slow release and appears over time on different areas of the body.

It seems I have greatly underestimated my foe once again....

I’m gonna go scrub.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Treat it like grease. Washing w/ a soapy cloth does better than just your hands and soap. Do it twice and get all the soft areas. Like between fingers and behind knees and inside elbows, and face. Do it twice in all the crevices.
Then when it appears, itch it all you want. Any new spots are just latent and not from itching.
I say itch all you want but judging from the severity, you might want to be gentle cause dude, that's some harsh rash already.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My brother would get poison ivy like that from reading this thread. I have never ever experienced it. And I have been a mountain biker and trail runner for decades. Very strange, huh?

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Wow that's bad! My sympathies.

The only thing worse if when someone unknowingly burns it, as in a burn pile. If you breathe the smoke it goes in you and your mouth, throat and lungs get it. That's a severe health situation.

Good luck to your recovery.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Dude! That’s ugly!
Your gonna need steroids to rid yourself of that!

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have found that after a good scrub, styptic pencil helps dry it and scab it over. And Scotch. Don't forget Scotch.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Ha, thanks for your sympathies and disgust. Now I know I’m not the only victim of this Satan Bush.

It’s on my legs and some rubbed onto my torso as well. (I didn’t know I was handling poison ivy until the blisters starting popping up). Some on my face, and torso. Oh, I kept wearing the belt I was wearing when I handled this evil plant, which I’m sure spread it all over. Including some on little ramius.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
All you tough dudes who "don't get it" - try getting the oil on your hands, and then scratching your balls. Yes, I did that once, when I was a teenager, wanted to die.

A friend of mine once told his girlfriend, "you know, if you eat a few of the young tender leaves in the early Spring, you won't get it for the entire year." She was dumb and trusting enough to fall for it. Spent a couple of weeks in the hospital.

I say: don't fuck with it, it won't fuck with you. This philosophy has served me well in other areas of life as well.

Posts: 6502 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post