SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sleep Apnea Question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleep Apnea Question Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I use Nasal Pillows and a Chin Strap.

Let me repeat that:

Chin Strap.
Chin Strap.
Chin Strap.

It helps to keep my mouth shut so the Nasal Pillows can do their job.

Talk to your local equipment provider about a Chin Strap. There are several different kinds, it's just a strap goes around the top of your head and keeps your flippin' mouth shut.

Apparently, at least according to my sleep doc, some people do fine with keeping their mouth closed on nose-only CPAP. I'm not one of them. When I started with nasal pillows, without a chin strap I would always wake up with my mouth open. Besides making the CPAP not work right (because with your mouth open, the CPAP is just blowing air and can't pressurize your breathing passages to keep them open), the air blowing out of my mouth for hours would make my mouth so dry it was actually physically painful, even with the humidifier on a high setting.

I mostly did OK with nasal pillows and a chin strap. I didn't find the chin strap uncomfortable or anything, although it was one more step to do getting ready for bed.

quote:
If your mouth is open when using any CPAP device, you're just screwing yourself. Don't do that ! Get fitted for a Chin Strap!!!

With a mask that seals over both your mouth and nose (whether a traditional full-coverage mask or one of the new ones that covers your mouth but just seals around your nostrils), it doesn't matter if your mouth is open or not.

quote:
If you can get a good fit with Nasal Pillows and keep your mouth shut with a Chin Strap, you can thank me later.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I went to a full mask because I have constricted nasal passages and sometimes can't move enough air through my nose for the nasal pillows to work well.

With the full mask, there's no reason for a chin strap, so I got to ditch that extra step.

The other nice thing about a full mask, at least for me, is that with a good seal (which I have), the machine doesn't ever blow air in one hole and out the other. Just like without a CPAP, the only air that goes in/out of your mouth and nose is the air you breathe.

For me, that means there isn't really any benefit to the humidifier. I took the water tank off completely and replaced it with a blank panel. Now the machine is smaller, I don't have to fuss with filling the tank every night or two, and it's one less piece to clean and replace.

Between the added convenience and being able to use it with no trouble whether I'm congested or not, I have no interest in going back to the nasal pillow mask, even though it worked great for me probably 95% of the time.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post