SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sleep Apnea Question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleep Apnea Question Login/Join 
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
It's pretty clear they are going to push the full face mask. At this point I am thinking the cure is worse than the disease. I could be wrong about this but I don't think my sleep apnea is severe. I have never fallen asleep while driving, at red lights etc. However I have no doubt I have it. My research also tells me untreated sleep apnea can damage my overall health. I would very much appreciate some advice.

I have moderate to severe sleep apnea, but I also never fell asleep when I wasn't supposed to before I was diagnosed. I went to the doctor because of really loud snoring and being told that I stopped breathing in my sleep. I also woke up a couple of times gasping for air. Even so, I was perfectly able to get through my day and be productive at work, even though I wasn't really rested (lots of caffeine). Anyway, that was 10 years ago. I don't even take a nap without the machine now. I really feel a whole lot more rested and energetic, and I don't snore at all. I didn't need a full face mask. I used nasal pillows from day one with no issues. I doubt I'd have a problem with a full mask either. I'd deal with it if I needed it. The CPAP has been great for me. I probably should have got one earlier.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I've been on CPAP for about four years now, ResMed 10 machine.I absolutely couldn't stand the thought of the full face mask (my sister uses it and wakes up every morning with strap marks on her face).

I started out on the AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask and have been on it ever since. The straps do get out of whack if you roll around a lot, but I wake up, fix them then right back to sleep.

My first night with it I slept 10 hours and felt re-born. Wherever I spend the night it does too.

I even bought a spare ResMed10 just have in case the original quits on me.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I use Nasal Pillows and a Chin Strap.

Let me repeat that:

Chin Strap.
Chin Strap.
Chin Strap.

It helps to keep my mouth shut so the Nasal Pillows can do their job.

Talk to your local equipment provider about a Chin Strap. There are several different kinds, it's just a strap goes around the top of your head and keeps your flippin' mouth shut.

If your mouth is open when using any CPAP device, you're just screwing yourself. Don't do that ! Get fitted for a Chin Strap!!!

If you can get a good fit with Nasal Pillows and keep your mouth shut with a Chin Strap, you can thank me later.

Posts: 11861 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Surrounded by
Fruit Loops
Picture of Baran
posted Hide Post
I started with a full face mask, I found it best that if the hose came out and went down, then under my arm and then under my pillow to the headboard tucked in by the mattress. I also switched to the semi full face mask, that goes over your mouth and under your nose.

The other item I did is found out how to change the air pressure settings on the machine to dial it back. I found this helped from over pressurizing me and making it feel like I was suffocating. When I went to see the doctor I told him what I did, gave him the reason why, you can see in the records how many times your sleep gets interrupted, so I dialed it back until it started to increase, then left it there.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Happy Valley, MA | Registered: November 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear the full mask by choice. Sometimes I’m a mouth breather sometimes I’m a nose breather. It was a very weird feeling to try the nose only mask then open your mouth.

Every night I feel like a mother fucking fight jet pilot!!! But seriously. It not that bad. I actually sleep like crap if I don’t use it and snore.

My wife’s only complaint is she can feel air blowing. So we put a pillow in the middle of us.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't fall asleep at red lights or any of that stuff either. Test results said my SA was severe and the doctor explained the health consequences. Scary shit friend. I use a nose mask and it took about a week to get used to. Go get it and figure out what works best for you. I promise wearing a mask, even full face, isn't worse than dying.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Love my cpap, don’t be scared of it.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2247 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I have it and wear a full mask. I don’t recall it taking too long to get used to. I’m so used to it now, I have trouble sleeping without it.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I've been wearing a full face mask for around 6 years. If I recall it took 7 to 10 nights to really get used to wearing it. I sleep so much better with it that it's all been worth the minor discomfort of getting used to it.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Going on 18 years for me wearing the full mask. My initial sleep study found me to stop breathing an average of 32 times per hour.
My wife had been telling me long before that that I was not right!
I use it every night. Much better sleep and I started dreaming again.
Takes some getting use to but worth it!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using a cpap for about 3 1/2 years. Nasal pillows work best for me.
I'm about (in 3-4 weeks) to start a new treatment that looks promising:
https://vivoslife.com/
As part of the evaluation, they did a CT scan of my head & neck. My trachea is severely restricted, like how can you even breath restricted. Normal is 10-12mm, mine is normal side to side, but only 1-2mm front to back.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diagnosed in 1999, been using a full face mask the latter half of this time. I also use a humidifier tank attachment.
I had maybe a couple of hiccups when I transitioned to a full face mask, but otherwise it has been an uneventful experience.
Please don’t underestimate the necessity of treating your sleep apnea. I too never fell asleep at a traffic light, but I could otherwise drop off - on a plane flight and other random occasions. But that is a symptom, not the health effect you’ve trying to mitigate. For me the health issue from the Dr. was congestive heart failure! With that focus, I have never looked back from using a BIPAP, then a CPAP. If I have a problem I would look to my CPAP provider and my Dr. to help me resolve it. CHF mitigation and my otherwise improved sleep/rest tells me to tell you don’t drop the effort to make this work!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1529 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in December 2020 (apparently stopping breathing 60 times an hour!) and began CPAP therapy February 2021. The first week or so was a little weird but you do get used to it and it will really benefit you. I no longer drive my poor wife crazy with loud heavy snoring and sleep really deeply with vivid long dreams. I also no longer wake up in the middle of the night choking, literally choking to death feeling like I am drowning and I can’t catch my breath.

My advice to you?

If you are getting a machine and mask via a DME (Durable Medical Equipment) supplier via your doctor, DO NOT I repeat, DO NOT let them give you a mask and force you to use it if you don’t like it and it’s not working for you. Masks are very personal and what works great for me may not work at all for you; you have to find what works for you.

CPAP.com is a really good site that actually helped me find the perfect mask, they have a policy where you can buy a mask to try out and if it doesn’t work or you don’t like it, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund.

My DME issued me a Philips CPAP machine and a Philips DreamWear full face mask (I’ve always been a mouth breather partly due to a deviated septum). I really wasn’t liking this mask so I went to CPAP.com and tried:

1. The ResMed F20 AirTouch: didn’t like it
2. The ResMed F30i AirFit: much better but still wasn’t perfect
3. The ResMed F30 AirFit: PERFECT! Love it. It’s a full face type but a hybrid design that covers mouth but goes under nostrils. Works very well for me.

I actually decided to ditch the DME and just buy my stuff all out of pocket but most people go through insurance. I saw the Philips CPAP machine recall coming a month before it hit and managed to return my DME-issued Philips DreamStation and bought my own ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet machine and then an identical used low-hour model as a backup unit. I really like ResMed machines and masks and would highly recommend them. They’re like the Glock of the CPAP world; very popular and available everywhere and built really well.

You can email me if you’d like more info about the CPAP life, but I wouldn’t look at it as a burden or a negative, quite the opposite. You’re going to improve your quality of life in a short time.

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
17 years on the hose here. On the rare occasion that I wake up without mine on, I'm REALLY bummed! Feel like I've been cheated out of a good night sleep.

Sure it takes a little getting used to; but you won't believe how much better you'll sleep and feel, until after you've had the ole' Ram Air for awhile!!

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I rode with the Nose Hose Posse for 10 years. The first night I used it my life was better.

Eventually I lost considerable extra tonnage. After 10 years of various mask & pillow changes, discovered I no longer needed it. The hard part was getting to sleep without the soft gentle hssssss in the background.

Give your better self a break with a little dose of O2.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
nose pillow and chin strap. sleep is too important for proper brain function to fool around with.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
nose pillow and chin strap. sleep is too important for proper brain function to fool around with.

Yes that works for you

It may not for the OP

I cannot use nose only masks, I breathe through my mouth

Also, if you are prescribed higher pressures, forget the nose pillows, they’ll blow right off your face.

OP needs to find what works for HIM

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I cannot use nose only masks, I breathe through my mouth

Also, if you are prescribed higher pressures, forget the nose pillows, they’ll blow right off your face.

OP needs to find what works for HIM

Your post here reflects why I had not contributed here earlier. I've been a CPAP user since 1997. Yup over 24 years! Big Grin

But unlike the OP and you, I breath through my nose, not mouth, when sleeping and have used a variety of nasal masks, pillows, and cushions over the years. Never a full coverage face mask. The Respironics Dreamwear nasal cushion is my current preference.

I've also had a variety of makes and models of CPAP machine always consistent at the same 11 psi setting validated with repeat sleep studies over the decades.

Currently on my second ResMed AirSense 10. One BIG CAVEAT with them is to NOT LET the humidifier water tank run out. You will get a burning smell that should wake you up. Worse my first machine scorched the wood shelf it sat on when it ran dry.

I wish Fed161 well with his quest here as with all others who can benefit from a properly dialed in and fitted kit tailored to their individual needs. As many have said, it really makes a significant difference!

Sleep well!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I had A-fib and they could find no reason for it - so sleep study. Haven't had it since, so maybe it was the cause...

Anyway, I don't like the full face stuff, but found a mask I like pretty well and have been able to use for almost 2 years now.

https://www.thecpapshop.com/re...wear-nasal-cpap-mask

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been following the posts carefully. Thanks to all for the input. I definitely feel much better prepared for my visit to the doctor Monday to go over the results of the studies - and to come up with an action plan. All thanks to you guys. You took the time to provide me with thoughtful responses and valuable input that I can use to make a decision. Sigforum is a valuable source of information and advice. Thanks!

Posts: 1057 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post