SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    White fruit peaches..yummy.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White fruit peaches..yummy. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Just had my first ever white peach. It was a excellent fruit. Never seen them before tonight. Anyone familiar with them? I dont understand what is meant online by 600 hours or 700 to 800 hours as it pertains to different brands of white peaches.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
The white peach is the natural peach. Yellow peaches, of all varieties, are "hybrids".
And yes, they are very good. Try to find "White Lady" variety.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I'm familiar with eating them, but no idea about the hours.
I used to have about 4 trees in the back yard, but now it's down to 1 tree.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chilling hours are the minimum number of hours that a peach tree needs to get, specifically, nighttime temperatures between 32 and 45 degrees Fahrenheit, in order to produce a good crop of peaches.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I need about 4 more and a pint of heavy cream. Maybe some nice blue berrys. What a night time snack.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
We always buy white peaches and nectarines now. Have for years. Self pick is best but store and farmers markets can be okay. Personally prefer the nectarine over peach.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Stone fruits are a specialty item around these parts… peaches of all verities, nectarines, apricots, plums, pluots… I love them all, but none more than a peach.

There is really something special about a tree-ripened peach. A store bought one can’t compare because they are picked too early. A tree ripened peach is only rivaled by a patiently vine-ripened boysenberry and a vibe ripened strawberry.

One of the few things I’ll miss about CA is the summer fruit.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thumper - do guys get the angelcots? When tree ripened and cold, those things are great on a hot summer day. #1 is still tree ripened (room temp) white nectarine for me but the cold angelcots are nice too.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love good white flesh peaches......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I never liked white peach. I don't like their taste. In fact, I hate them. They really piss me off, because the wife and I had a huge argument tonight about them. I wish they never existed. Goddamn white peaches. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26342 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Dang it, going to have to chain saw and get rid of my peach tree. We had a big north wind that blew it over and uprooted it. I can’t save it.

It made wonderful peaches, and many jars of peach jelly were canned by me.

I had 2, one didn’t make it. Both were $19.95 each about 7 years ago.

Oh well, time to shop for new ones.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
They're OK, but I do prefer the big yellow freestone peaches. The orchard near Scott AFB, Illinois produced huge yellow peaches, about the size of grapefruit--they were wonderful!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Alberters (sp?) is what they are called if my memory from my youth is correct.... I grew up on a peach farm in Edgefield county S.C. and I think we, the area around there back then, shipped more peaches than the entire state of Georgia.

Here's a picture of me in I'd say 1959 sitting on uncle Jerry's lap, he ran our peach stand under the air conditioned pecan tree.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I find them to be too sweet & not peachy tasting.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
Chilling hours are the minimum number of hours that a peach tree needs to get, specifically, nighttime temperatures between 32 and 45 degrees Fahrenheit, in order to produce a good crop of peaches.
OK I see where it can take up to 1000 hours in some areas of low temps for the trees to produce good fruit. This can vary across a State from a couple hundred to 1000 hours.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I never liked white peach. I don't like their taste. In fact, I hate them. They really piss me off, because the wife and I had a huge argument tonight about them. I wish they never existed. Goddamn white peaches. Lol.
Who won the argument? Big Grin

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Dang it, going to have to chain saw and get rid of my peach tree.

Definitely save that wood for the smoker, or if you don't have one give it to a friend who does. That stuff is awesome for pork, fish, etc.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Who won the argument? Big Grin

We both did. Peace shall reign in the Q's household a thousand years. And when the thousand years are expired... Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26342 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer a white peach for eating, a yellow peach for cooking. Because, cobbler.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
I prefer a white peach for eating, a yellow peach for cooking. Because, cobbler.

This. A white peach that's ripe is amazing and I like the texture better for eating.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post