SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon To Fire 10,000 Employees, Largest Layoff In Company History
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon To Fire 10,000 Employees, Largest Layoff In Company History Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I thought there were plenty of jobs to go around? Confused

My local McDonalds, Taco Bell, KFC, and Burger King all have help wanted signs.

But a professional position... that is too funny.

Yep. That's why I quit looking. I looked for months, a year and gave up. Very few interviews.

The MSM was saying "worker shortages" and while they were right, they weren't being totally honest (like that's a surprise).

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
I thought there were plenty of jobs to go around? Confused

My local McDonalds, Taco Bell, KFC, and Burger King all have help wanted signs.

But a professional position... that is too funny.

Yep. That's why I quit looking. I looked for months, a year and gave up. Very few interviews.

The MSM was saying "worker shortages" and while they were right, they weren't being totally honest (like that's a surprise).

There are no longer many 'Now hiring' signs in my area, but for the past year they have seemed to be fake. Many friends applied for local, non-professional jobs and never heard back. Employers seem to be insisting they can't hire people while refusing to even look at people that apply.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
It may be that they have to have a particular skill set. I’ve had ppl apply that have absolutely no skills for the listed job. Today I had someone with a mba apply. They had only worked in kitchens. We are in the medical field. I may even interview them, but it’s not even close to a sort of match..it’s the kind of person that will walk as soon as something in their field/more interesting comes along. I’ve already had that happen twice this year, being desperate enough to attempt to cross over skill sets. Hasn’t worked and I’m tired of dealing with these brats.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The Fed is cranking up interest rates to cause a recession in the name of reducing inflation. It looks like they're succeeding.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
There are no longer many 'Now hiring' signs in my area, but for the past year they have seemed to be fake. Many friends applied for local, non-professional jobs and never heard back. Employers seem to be insisting they can't hire people while refusing to even look at people that apply.

I read a theory that some people on unemployment are applying and then ghosting the interviews so they can say they've been looking as they keep applying for unemployment. One of the conditions of collecting unemployment was they keep searching.

Years ago I collected unemployment in FL. Wasn't much at $275/week but it came back to bite me in the ass as no taxes were withheld and I had a huge tax liability the following spring.

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post