SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon To Fire 10,000 Employees, Largest Layoff In Company History
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon To Fire 10,000 Employees, Largest Layoff In Company History Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Hmmmmm...Didn't President Two Scoops just assure us all the economy was strong as hell?

Funny how all this starts AFTER the midterm elections are safely over for Democrats. Roll Eyes

Amazon To Fire 10,000 Employees, Largest Layoff In Company History

By BIL works in a tech company and was just warned that a big round of layoffs are coming, all these companies are starting to retrench for 2023 Frown

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I thought there were plenty of jobs to go around? Confused

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Ruh Roh

That rail road strike might be right around the bend too

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some may be hired back , Amazon is opening new fulfilment centers in the future

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Treehouse a couple of days ago -

With Elections Over U.S. Multinationals Begin Announcing Job Cuts

Posts: 3479 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I’m sure that those who are about to be fired will take comfort in their boss’s generous charity… Roll Eyes

Jeff Bezos says he plans to give away most of his $124 billion fortune

Billionaire Amazon founder Jeff Bezos recently said he plans to give away the “majority” of his fortune. Bezos’ comments were made in an interview with CNN on Saturday, when he said he plans to use his wealth to fight climate change and to support societal “unifiers.” Bezos is worth about $124 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Bezos’ comments were made in an interview with CNN on Saturday, when he said he plans to use his wealth to fight climate change and to support societal “unifiers.”

He might as well just throw it into a volcano. What a ridiculous waste of money.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Small nit here.

Fired generally means you don't get unemployment payments and generally you can't get re-hired.

Layoff generally means you get unemployment and generally can be hired back at a future date.

So, these 10,000 were not "fired." Well, some may have been... but in general.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Fired generally means you don't get unemployment payments ....

I have seen that statement before, and perhaps it is true generally, but some 20+ years ago a co-worker was let go and when he applied for unemployment payments, the store manager got a call to confirm that he had been fired, and for why, and hadn’t just quit on his own. In Colorado.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Back when I was first working a day job, you had to conform to a number of strict criteria to get unemployment, not being fired for cause, not quitting, etc. Over the years these criteria faded away, and by the time I was in a management/ownership position, pretty much any employee let go could be expected to qualify, fighting it (to try to keep your companies experience level down) often meant at least the threat of a lawsuit. I can't imagine it has gotten less lenient since then. Fired, quit, indicted, probably makes no difference, Uncle Sugar will take care of you.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Ruh Roh

That rail road strike might be right around the bend too
Then hopefully a Delta strike, then United strike, then……

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
In AZ you can definitely get UI benefits if you get fired, as long as you didn't try to get fired and the boss doesn't claim you were trying to sabotage the business. I've been fired twice and had no problem collecting. Now I work for myself, so I probably can never get UI benefits again.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
and to support societal “unifiers.”

Commie politicians Roll Eyes

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fired, quit, indicted, probably makes no difference, Uncle Sugar will take care of you.
Depending on which state you live in, your former employer may be on the hook for your unemployment payments too.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Bezos’ comments were made in an interview with CNN on Saturday, when he said he plans to use his wealth to fight climate change and to support societal “unifiers.”

He might as well just throw it into a volcano. What a ridiculous waste of money.

Yeah, this just angers me. Why don't these extremely wealthy people actually do something good with the money they throw away? Scholarship funds, paying off medical bills or mortgages for those really in need, helping the poor and the homeless, helping veterans, etc.... So many truly worthy and morally sound causes, and they piss it away on the climate change hoax. Roll Eyes

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
They just opened up a huge facility not too far from here last week. Wonder how it's going affect that?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Don't expect the dough to go to existing organizations in any material way. The likely avenue to 'give back' is to form a charitable foundation or trust which will be a sinicure for family and butt buddies for life. After the skim the charity will benefit but the lifetime, high paid seats on the boards for children, cousins, faithful fluffers are a serious part of it.

My experience, which is long and arduous, in these matters is that modest estates go to the problem, serious money goes to the hi profile, all show, no go operations.

It's their money, they can do what they want with it and if uncle sugar doesn't get any of it that's OK too. But excuse me if I don't get all gushy about their charitable intent and their lavish generosity.

Posts: 6395 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
They just opened up a huge facility not too far from here last week. Wonder how it's going affect that?
They are building 250 Last day delivery centers around the country and investing in 10,000 electric vehicles. They just built 2 Last day delivery stations here, 1 in northern Kentucky, not yet opened and 1 in north west Cincinnati.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m sure that those who are about to be fired will take comfort in their boss’s generous charity… Roll Eyes

Jeff Bezos says he plans to give away most of his $124 billion fortune

Billionaire Amazon founder Jeff Bezos recently said he plans to give away the “majority” of his fortune. Bezos’ comments were made in an interview with CNN on Saturday, when he said he plans to use his wealth to fight climate change and to support societal “unifiers.” Bezos is worth about $124 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

So is the giving all about saving the planet and helping humanity, or is it just a giant tax shield?

These guys aren't giving anything away to REAL charities. Just like Bill Gates, the whole time he was giving away money to support vaccines in poor countries he was buying up Pfizer stock, almost like he knew what was coming, everything they give to charity comes back to them 10 fold. They fund crap that the WEF wants, in exchange they aren't attacked, and then their businesses get pushed onto the public by government.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
They are laying off ten thousand....out of about 1.3 MILLION employees. Not like they are going under.

They have so many areas that may not be profitable and being shut down. Who knows but it's far from a large chunk of their operation.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post