SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon To Fire 10,000 Employees, Largest Layoff In Company History
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon To Fire 10,000 Employees, Largest Layoff In Company History Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well , they are about to open a huge distribution center here . They'll be plenty of openings . Did I mention that it's huge ?

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If Bezos was smart, he’d use his billions to pay off school loans, and for a shit ton of scholarships. Seeing as how he’s throwing it away anyway, that would remove the burden from the taxpayer (if they get that particular money tap turned back on). Imagine the political clout his leftist buddies could gain.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Article said... "corporate and technology jobs"

I wouldn't think it would involve the workers on the floor filling orders. Christmas rush is coming.

Just last week Amazon was advertising for warehouse workers in my zip code... $14 minimum starting, $1000 signing bonus.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Between Amazon, Meta/Facebook, and Twitter that's 30,000+ IT people now looking for jobs.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Funny how all this starts AFTER the midterm elections are safely over for Democrats. Roll Eyes

Frown

I wasn't surprised by the rest of your post as lay offs is a part of a recession that I've been expecting.

The announcement after the midterm did ring a bell for me. That's downright malevolent.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twitter let go over 5,000 contractors Saturday. No severance package for those people.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Article said... "corporate and technology jobs"

I wouldn't think it would involve the workers on the floor filling orders. Christmas rush is coming.

Just last week Amazon was advertising for warehouse workers in my zip code... $14 minimum starting, $1000 signing bonus.

remember much of the business is Amazon Web Services (AWS). It's not all cheap crap stuffed into cardboard boxes.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AWS is about half of Amazon's profit.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I parted ways with Amazon many years ago. Someone hacked my account from their end, bought a camera with a credit card on that account (which was expired) and they let the transaction go through! I didn’t get charged for it since the card was expired.

They then told me that I would need to change my email address if I wanted to continue my account. I told them to stuff their account and never looked back.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon is one of the biggest companies in the world and no doubt has acquired some employee excess and first sign of a business down turn won’t hesitate to chop off people. A company I worked for 30 years ago had too many middle management and one (day) fired 2500, and not long after hired newbies at lower pay for the same jobs.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Amazon also pays it's tech employees some of the highest salaries when you roll in bonus & RSU.

https://www.levels.fyi/companies/amazon/salaries

I know contract recruiters there making $150K a year.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I’m sure that those who are about to be fired will take comfort in their boss’s generous charity… Roll Eyes

Jeff Bezos says he plans to give away most of his $124 billion fortune

Billionaire Amazon founder Jeff Bezos recently said he plans to give away the “majority” of his fortune. Bezos’ comments were made in an interview with CNN on Saturday, when he said he plans to use his wealth to fight climate change and to support societal “unifiers.” Bezos is worth about $124 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
Jeff may be gonna give most of his shit away, but he apparently likes to fish and bought this boat for use on the weekends. Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Jeff may be gonna give most of his shit away, but he apparently likes to fish and bought this boat for use on the weekends. Smile

That's not exactly a Bass Tracker...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

I don't fault him. If you have the means, and want something why should you not be able to have it. There are tons of people that benefited from his purchase. Would it be better he lived in poverty and gave his wealth to Greta Thunberg with all of her silliness.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Ruh Roh

That rail road strike might be right around the bend too
Then hopefully a Delta strike, then United strike, then……

Why would you say that? Aren't you in that business?

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had three orders from Amazon delivered yesterday. By three different drivers at three different times. Talk about efficientcy.

Ordered three fishing rods. Two broke during transit. Reading the reviews, it seems like fishing rods get broken left and right. Jeff would have been a lot richer if his company didn't hire tons of buffoons.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

I don't fault him. If you have the means, and want something why should you not be able to have it. There are tons of people that benefited from his purchase. Would it be better he lived in poverty and gave his wealth to Greta Thunberg with all of her silliness.

Oh, I don't fault him either. If you have the means, and want something why should you not be able to have it? Totally agree.
I'm just saying it's not a fishing boat.
based on "he apparently likes to fish".

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I thought there were plenty of jobs to go around? Confused

My local McDonalds, Taco Bell, KFC, and Burger King all have help wanted signs.

But a professional position... that is too funny.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31444 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Well , they are about to open a huge distribution center here . They'll be plenty of openings . Did I mention that it's huge ?

They have 1.3 million employees. 120k is nothing.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
AWS is about half of Amazon's profit.

Most people only are familiar with the consumer facing parts of the business. AWS, like Google Analytics, is a major business segment of those respective business.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post