SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your hard Salami sandwich
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your hard Salami sandwich Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

V-tail. Provide the brand plz.

Thanks all, so many great idea's. All sound delicious, except Ketchup Razz
Agreed, Ketchup is about the last thing I would put on a salami sandwich. I wouldn't use Catsup, either.

Re mustard with horseradish, there are many choices on the shelves in grocery stores around here. I don't see your location; if you're in the southeastern U.S., Publix is a great grocery chain and has quite a variety.

If you're not near a Publix, you can probably find a Walmart -- here's their brand:

I asked Mr. Google about "mustard with horseradish" and he showed me about a dozen or so different choices.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid Mom used to make em with Hebrew National sliced thick and sweet relish on white bread.(I find that repulsive now) Now it's a nice Italian- Soppressata or Genoa and Provolone or thick sliced Mozzarella. With mustard if using Provolone or sliced tomato and some EVOO and some balsamic if using Mozz. And always on a crusty bread- either a thick sour dough or ciabatta. Never heard of mayo on salami before.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the number 14 at Kampy’s Korner. Ham, salami and provolone sub.

It’s called Dara’s Catering now, but I will always think of it as Kampy’s…

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay, went to the market and they had these choices: Olympia Provisions, Olli, Creminelli, Hellinic Farms, Molinari, Coro, Thuringer, Rovagnati, Levoni. And then also Boar's Head and Columbus.

I usually buy the Creminelli for charcuterie plates. This time I bought: Olli (sounded like a comparable tier as Creminelli), Olympia and Levoni. The latter two were the most expensive (almost double per pound vs the others). The Olympia sounds like an artisan, obsessive brand.

I'll try the three I have as-is and also in a sandwich like above.

If anybody has any recommendations given the choices above, let me know. They are just names to me - other than Creminelli, never tried any of them before.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olympia Provisions is a butcher brand out of Portland, they're more known for their sausages. Really good stuff, not sure if they can be classed as a boutique brand these days but, definitely on the more premium side. I look forward to October-fest time, Whole Foods and other upscale grocers will usually have 2-3 different sausage from them on Prime promotion; they don't last long as people have caught-on.

Find a type of salami you like, then try that same type across a few different brands. That'll help zero-in on your preferences.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Salamagot,brahjzoot,gabbagool, and mutzzadel. Translation to English, Salami, Prosciutto, Capacola, and Mozzarella.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The Olympia was very good. But on the milder side for me. There were two choices - traditional or fennel. I got the traditional. I'll try the fennel next time. They said there is something special about the back fat they use.

The Levoni is very rich and more pronounced. Very tasty and forward. Nice pepper notes.

Neither were oily or greasy as I imagined they would be.

I tried these first as they are just wrapped in paper. The Olli is plastic packaging.

I think I like the Olympia just as cubes. The Levoni stands out more in sandwiches with cheese.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
FRESHLY BAKED Hoagie roll: Corropolese or Conshohocken Italian bakery
Salami
Mortadella
Provolone
Olive oil
Finely shredded iceberg lettuce
Sliced tomatoes
Sliced Vidalia onion
Sliced hot cherry peppers
Salt
Pepper
Oregano

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am more of a Cotto salami eater. Start with fresh Russian Rye bread, add New Orleans olive salad mix, then brown spicy mustard and shredded romaine lettuce. Plan to have one this very evening!!

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Student of Weapons Craft
Picture of Exodus
posted Hide Post
Onion roll
1 layer of thinly sliced cucumber
1 layer of thinly sliced tomato (salted)
2 - 3 layers of salami (and / or pepperoni) crisped in microwave.
Diced / shredded spring mix
Pepperoncini Peppers
Avocado mashed and whipped with salt, garlic and a shot of malt vinegar spread on the top bun.

Posts: 261 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
FRESHLY BAKED Hoagie roll: Corropolese or Conshohocken Italian bakery
Salami
Mortadella
Provolone
Olive oil
Finely shredded iceberg lettuce
Sliced tomatoes
Sliced Vidalia onion
Sliced hot cherry peppers
Salt
Pepper
Oregano

This is about where I'm at. That's about as good a salami sammich as can be made.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8798 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm entitled to this Title
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Mustard, salami & bread.
Same here.. Hell, I thought I was gettin' Fancy when I added a slice of American cheese with the salami and mustard!

Posts: 13991 | Location: WV | Registered: October 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yea, I know.

With your guys help my salami sandwich today while not perfect. Was an upgrade. Chopped onion and iceberg lettuce with some chopped black olives. Sliced tomato, thinly sliced cheddar cheese. Some Italian dressing. Only had thin sliced wheat bread. But it was a really nice upgrade.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hard salami, rye bread, braunsweiger, mustard and anything else you want

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I can go with a couple bare slices of hard salami with a slab of cheddar, Havarti, or white American cheese in between to a full boat concoction with everything available in the fridge (much like some already posted in this thread) held together with some great bread. Both work. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To simplify, you can buy some focaccia bread or, ciabatta and then mix n'match whatever meat you want. Otherwise, when I dream of Florence, these sandwiches come up frequently in my thoughts.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
To simplify, you can buy some focaccia bread or, ciabatta and then mix n'match whatever meat you want. Otherwise, when I dream of Florence, these sandwiches come up frequently in my thoughts.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/02f2fXaEpXE?si=jvDIq2TevJhSjeHy" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

News flash for this guy--- half your audience starved to death before you got around to making that sandwich. Looks really good, the folks at the wake and funeral will enjoy it.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
In Southeast Pa, I made my salami and cheese on a hard kaiser roll. If you've never had a hard kaiser or long roll (aka hoagie roll) from the SE Pa / South NJ area you don't know what you're missing! The roll is the key to a great sandwich.

I make my sandwich with two layers of salami (enough to completely cover the bread), with two slices of white American cheese between the two layers of salami, along with lots of horseradish or hot mustard. The "Pretzel Factory" Super Hot mustard was the best, but I haven't found it yet in my area of Florida. I tried Publix brand horseradish mustard and it's surprisingly very good - almost as good as the Super Hot mustard. Publix bakery has hard kaiser rolls that are decent as well, but it's just not the same as in SE Pa.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post