SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you fall asleep with music or the TV on??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you fall asleep with music or the TV on?? Login/Join 
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I prefer as quiet and as dark as possible. Not much will keep me awake though when it's time to go to sleep.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I need is a good low volume TV program and my recliner, which I am convinced was impregnated at the factory with narcotics.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Born and raised in the Bronx ( sirens, car alarms, gunfire and any other metropolitan sounds ). I now live in farm country almost no car traffic but we do get horse and buggy sounds up and down my road from time to time. TV. as become necessary for me to sleep ( white noise ).

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to leave my radio on at a very low volume, 24/7. I’d listen to either “Coast to Coast”, or sports talk. That ended when my wife and I moved in together, she couldn’t stand it. For many years I slept with no noise, but lately I have the TV on, specifically the “Boomer and Gio” simulcast, and I fall asleep on the couch.

Posts: 473 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
All I need is a good low volume TV program and my recliner, which I am convinced was impregnated at the factory with narcotics.
I also sleep in my recliner (with the TV going). The semi-reclined position makes it easier to breathe.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Always had music going through a headset since I was a kid. Never had a TV in my room growing up so that's nothing I ever did. That is until I got married. That took a little getting used to but after 27 years I find myself switching on the tube getting into bed, but it gets switched off when its time to get serious.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find that a fan and other noise keeps the ghosts out of my mind but no TV.

Posts: 580 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
My Wife must have the TV on to fall asleep. I prefer a small fan running for a little white noise. I will usually go to bed an hour after her, but either way I need less than 5 minutes to fall asleep. STAYING asleep is the hard part. On a good day I can get 6 hours.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I go to bed around 8:30 and can hear the tv in the background, usually doesn't bother me.
I do fall asleep with the tv on, usually with something about science, planets and such.
Not that it's boring but I'll close my eyes and just listen and sorta drift off, then get woke up shooed off the couch.
I do have a fan in the bedroom that pretty much runs 24/7.

There is a new range getting built out in the forest and I volunteered to stay out there last weekend to keep an eye on the equipment and inform any who showed up that the pit was closed and such till the end of the month.

Perfect weather, clear and barely any wind.
I was sleeping in my Land Cruiser and that's the first time in a long time with nothing but silence.
Except it was anything but silence.
Tinnitus is a bitch.
I was laying there thinking, what the hell is that? Then had a Doh! moment.
A fan definitely drowns that out for me.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I can't sleep without white noise, but I absolutely can't sleep with a tv or music on. I use the a white noise app called thunderstorm sounds, and as a back up on my phone I have white noise lite.

If all else fails, I just turn my room fan to max and put it as close to my head as possible.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need some noise. Typically, I play music with a 15 min timer. I almost never make it to the second song. I also need a fan. I use the overhead one and a small one on the nightstand that blows directly at my face.

I sleep like a rock, almost nothing wakes me up (besides a dog puking, and sometimes not even that). But...if it's quiet, or even if the air is still, I won't sleep more that 20-30 minutes at a time, and it takes me forever to fall asleep.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Been known to nod off during a NAPCAR race...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
No, but I need to either have a small fan on or lately my wife bought me a white noise machine.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Posted by BamaJeepster:

quote:
No TV's allowed in any bedrooms at our house. Studies have shown that it really impacts your ability to get the deep sleep you need to recover.

My wife has insomnia, so I was looking up a medical reference on the condition. There's more evidence for the benefit of "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy-Insomnia" (CBT-I) than there is for any sleep medications.
You can look it up: but one of the rules is no electronics before bedtime.

If my wife doesn't have something to listen to she starts worrying about the kids (yeah the late-40's kids) in the middle of the night.

I'm going to look up the sleep apps to see if some rain and thunder would help.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post