SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you fall asleep with music or the TV on??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you fall asleep with music or the TV on?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I read before turning off the light. And a purring cat helps me to fall asleep, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I prefer fan noise or bugs/nature/waves/etc, preferably real vs some sound machine.

I want a cool enough to need the covers, very dark, and mostly quiet environment...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always have something on or I won’t fall asleep. It has to be something I have seen a lot. If it interests me at all, I am wide awake. My other option is listening to the Bible. It has to be narrative.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Heck, I fall asleep responding to posts on the interne... zzzZZZZZZZZZ..........

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Not on purpose but sometimes when I “rest my eyes”.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Sometimes I do so. Here are a few of the soundtracks in the rotation. The first one, Clare de Lune had about 28M views when I first found it. The count is now 36M, so many must be using it.

Clare de Lune, extended loop

https://youtu.be/ea2WoUtbzuw

Heitor Villa-Lobos, Suite Popular Brasil, solo guitar

https://youtu.be/Z2_LDC-WQQ0

Takashi Kukoba, The Day I Saw the Rainbow, japanese ambient

https://youtu.be/oyJSV9nnt10

Roberto Lara, Guitar of the Pampas

https://youtu.be/Jt1HnKB5WEc

World War 2, Distant Battle Ambient

https://youtu.be/Ul9Da5c2UXw

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I have tinnitus and my mind races. If I stream a lecture or interview on youtube I can fall asleep in a few minutes. Y

I have tinnitus also. Didn't know I had it for a long while as I thought I was just real sensitive to background noise. Then I realize my hearing has gone down but the background noise level still stayed the same.

I go to YouTube and select from rain sounds with dark screeen with or without thunder. I like the splatty kind of rain sound. Most of them are like 10 to 12 hours long.

That's what I sleep to.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Much of the TV on when I'm sleeping is reruns of the various NCIS shows.

Oh my God, you too? My wife has to sleep to either NCIS or Law and Order. I tried weening her off it but whenever I wake up, the remote is gone and the one of those two shows are playing. Believe it or not, the Ken Burns documetaries 'The War' and 'Prohibition' are also acceptable to her.

I finally got used to it.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Somebody put Sigmonkey to bed........

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I bought a radio shack white noise machine when I first had to work nights. It did more to help me STAY asleep through the normal family noise going on in the house than it helped me GO to sleep.

My night shift work only lasted about 6 months but ~30 years later I still use it 100% of the time, but it is turned down pretty low.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
No, just a fan. If I wake up because the tv was left on it makes me grumpy. I haven’t watched the bedroom tv in a very long time.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
No. I prefer the whooshing of the ceiling fan.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
We have a small stream about 50 feet from our bedroom window that helps put me to sleep in warmer weather. In the colder months, our lab snoring beside our bed does it.

I don't have much trouble sleeping. I think my eyelids are somehow connected to my ass, because all I have to do is sit down on my recliner & pick up a book, and before I know it I'm dozing off.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Every night for many years now.

We call it watching TV with our asses. Switch channels to TNT Series and roll.
Usually, some rerun of CSI or Mentalist.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I can fall asleep with no music or TV but it takes me forever. My mind tends to race and I worry about a lot of stuff that need not be worried about. The noise helps drown that out I guess.

Anyone else stuck with needing some sort of sound to be able to sleep well?

This right here perfectly describes why I have a TV in my room. Exact same reason. We usually watch some kind of Korean religious programming.

What is most important is the show you choose. Now there is a method to picking out the right program. It has to be interesting enough to get my attention and keep me focused on the program. It has to be boring enough that I don’t care how it ends.

The sleep timer is pretty necessary. 90 minutes. Longer than that, the TV may wake us up again. Any less than that and you may not be asleep enough, and the TV shutting off may wake you up.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I use an app on my phone called 'Thunderspace'. It plays a recording of rain in a thunderstorm. I have it set to run for 59 minutes, but I never get past 5.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by darthfuster:

I go to YouTube and select from rain sounds with dark screeen with or without thunder. I like the splatty kind of rain sound. Most of them are like 10 to 12 hours long.

That's what I sleep to.

Same here. I think the channel is called Sleep Relax or something like that.
Rain with thunder on water is a personal favorite of mine.
Another one is blowing Winter wind that I'll listen to.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the programs today it’s easy for me to fall asleep out of pure boredume.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I can fall asleep in the barber’s chair. I can fall asleep with or without music/TV on, with or without lights.

If it’s a road trip and I’m not driving, I’m out within minutes. (Sometimes even if I AM driving…just kidding…maybe)

I used to fall asleep to music but that was in Tech School at Keesler AFB in ‘86-‘87 and I had to distract my mind. Now my mind just shuts off on its own most of the time. Big Grin

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I don't deliberately do so, but most nights I sleep on the couch because of my wife and I have different work schedules, so I will often fall asleep watching Youtube. Very often it will be a blacksmithing video or bushcrafting, so I suspect the sound of rhythmic chopping of wood or hammering of steel puts me out.

Side note: I did occasionally try to listen to Dreamland to sleep back when I was in college. Weird coincidence.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post