SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you fall asleep with music or the TV on??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you fall asleep with music or the TV on?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have had a TV in my room for as long as I can remember. I have a very difficult time going to sleep without some sort of noise with words.
For the longest time I flat could not go to sleep without a TV. I finally broke that but still need at least a touch of music.
My wife can’t do music to sleep so the TV it is. Usually some sitcom we have seen a bunch of times or does not really have much plot.
The Office was our go to until it was pulled from Netflix and now we fall asleep to Seinfeld.
My kids will never have a TV in their room as long as they live in my house.
Sometimes when the kiddos all pile in the bed and I don’t feel like fooling with it I just go in one of the boys rooms and sleep.
So I fall asleep to some low volume music.
I have 3 albums that I tend to fall asleep to.
Robert Miles - Dreamland is my usual go to as for whatever reason I have super vivid dreams when I fall asleep to it. Kind of enjoy the dreams so I pick it mostly.
Waterdeep - Enter The Worship Circle or Deas Vail - All The Houses Look The Same come into play just to mix it up on occasion.

I can fall asleep with no music or TV but it takes me forever. My mind tends to race and I worry about a lot of stuff that need not be worried about. The noise helps drown that out I guess.

I remember going to summer camp as a kid and not sleeping much of the week as my mind would just race and not slow down.
I found a tiny little flat speaker that I could hide with a walkman in my pillowcase and have the volume just loud enough I could hear it and no one else was the wiser.

Anyone else stuck with needing some sort of sound to be able to sleep well?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I got a set of musicozy Bluetooth earphones to play YouTube videos.

I found that listening to certain voices help me fall asleep. Male voices don’t work for me. Annoying whispering female voices don’t work either. Lina Grace has the best stuff.

These three stories are my favorite: https://youtube.com/playlist?l...OOBp6NJd6IrT7BIpHpJ9

Sometimes stuff like this works for me, too: https://youtu.be/i6Yvk8eT2Ss

Edit to add - I can’t do a TV because I need darkness to get to sleep.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I sleep with the TV and the lights on and usually 1-3 cats in my lap. Typically get 3-4 hours in before I have to use the bathroom, then another nap.

Much of the TV on when I'm sleeping is reruns of the various NCIS shows.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Neither for us. I read for a while on my Kindle Oasis and drift off.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have tinnitus and my mind races. If I stream a lecture or interview on youtube I can fall asleep in a few minutes. Y

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I like it quiet when I go to sleep unless I'm feeling restless, then I'll put on a YouTube video of soft rain. The rain helps relax me and I usually fall asleep pretty fast after that.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
For me it is a continuous loop of American Sniper.

Either that or the grandfather and cuckoo clocks tick, tick, ticking away.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night and start overly thinking about stuff. I will then go into the den, turn on the television low barely enough to hear and my brain starts thinking about that instead of worry stuff ... and I fall asleep again.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Never. Even a loud ticking clock has to be moved from my bedroom.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I fall asleep with the TV on, but to stay asleep I need to use the sleep timer feature. If I don't use the sleep timer, either the noise or the bright flashing screen will wake me up in the middle of the night.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23251 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother had to have the radio on to sleep

I fall asleep with the TV on every night. Have done for decades. The GF hates it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the T.V. on and usually playing a video, I can't get to sleep without it.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
When I started travelling for work back in my twenties I got the habit of sleeping with the tv on in the hotels I stayed at. First thing when I walked into a hotel room the tv was turned on and it stayed on the entire time until I left sometimes two weeks later. Never watched it much it was just on. Now forty years later I still go to bed with the tv on.

I usually have one of the forensic crime shows on. I can't fall asleep to comedies for some reason. I think the canned laughter annoys me. Can make for some interesting dreams at times. When we travel out of town and stay at a relatives and there is no tv in the room I will play a podcast on my phone. Takes me a lot longer to fall asleep but it eventually works. Oh, music doesn't work for me it holds my attention and doesn't let me drift.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The TV, always. Something that is kinda interesting but not really. If there is no white noise then I will hear every creak the house makes and think about what happened yesterday or what I need to do tomorrow. With the boob tube on my mind switches off and I fall asleep in a heartbeat.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Oh no...I gotta have it quiet.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you fall asleep with music or the TV on??

Never. I'm used to sleeping here with windows cracked and the only noise is an occasional owl.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I use earbuds with the volume on super low, almost inaudible.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
No, I like it dark and quiet.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
My mother had to have the radio on to sleep

I fall asleep with the TV on every night. Have done for decades. The GF hates it

I always go to bed/fall asleep with the TV on. I also have done this for years as well. No GF though. My wife would not approve. Although we do sleep in separate rooms. We both annoy the other with snoring.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I have tinnitus and my mind races. If I stream a lecture or interview on youtube I can fall asleep in a few minutes. Y

Another tinnitus sufferer, but I don't need sounds to sleep or mask the hiss. But many times I fall asleep in the recliner watching programs at low volume on TV, like Newsmax programs.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post