SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It’s Cinco de Mayo – support your local taco shop!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s Cinco de Mayo – support your local taco shop! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have not found any good Mexican restaurants here in South Korea yet. May have to celebrate when we get home next week.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Tatortodd, what's your opinion of Torchy's? It seems decent for a chain taco joint.
I ate there twice this week including last night. Big Grin

Is it traditional Mexican? No

Are their tacos delicious? Yes

I've tried pretty much every taco on the menu except the fake meat one and the vegetarian one. Generally, I get a half order of queso, their taco of the month and rotate one of these:
  • trailer park (fried chicken)
  • (secret menu) green chili pork missionary style (it's better than their regular green chili pork)
  • chicken fajita
  • Mr Orange (blackened salmon)
  • (secret menu) Ace of Spades (jalapeno cheddar sausage, brisket, and fried egg)

• Give me a Trailer Park, but make it trashy (minus veggies, add queso).

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Who Woulda
    Ever Thought?
    posted Hide Post
    My lovely wife and I ate soft tacos at Taco Bueno in Gainesville Texas today.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Homemade Tamales tonight and black beans.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Conservative Behind
    Enemy Lines
    Picture of synthplayer
    posted Hide Post
    There are certain days of the calendar that I celebrate, and on each of those days I can tell you WHY I am celebrating. The fifth of May holds no value for me - I really don't understand why Americans celebrate it.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by oddball:
    Sorry, Texas BBQ tonight Smile

We will BBQ tomorrow.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Three on, one off
    Picture of G-Man
    posted Hide Post
    I had lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant, and then later I made a tequila old fashioned for the first time. It was delicious!

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lastmanstanding
    posted Hide Post
    Had my own Cinco De Mayo celebration. Kids and grand kids came over. Fired up the margarita machine and made fajitas, quesadillas with chicken and chorizo, esquites (Mexican street corn) off the cob, fire roasted salsa in the molcajete, and guac.

More Americans celebrate Cinco De Mayo than Mexicans according to most of what is written about the holiday. I think because so many Americans love Mexican cuisine and it's a good excuse to put the Mexican feed bag on. Besides it's my birthday! Razz

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8529 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    Half order deluxe Campechanas from the local joint

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    Puzzled. “Campechanas” was an unknown to me so I googled and found several descriptions saying it was a Mexican seafood cocktail. E.g.:
    https://rancheritarenton.com/product/campechana/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    I've always thought of campechena as the Mexican version of seafood/shrimp cocktail. IMO, the best appetizer in all of Houston is a shrimp & crab Mexican cocktail at Goode Company.

A little Googling lead to finding it's also the name for a Mexican puff pastry.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by arfmel:

I had to look that one up.

"campechana is a traditional dish in Mexican cuisine. It consists of chopped octopus that is slowly boiled in water with its ink, vinegar, onion, garlic.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I grew up in San Jose CA. The Bay Area has a huge Hispanic population and consequently the ability obtain amazing food was legit. Here in the Florida panhandle we have Mexican restaurants buy they are meh. So yes it’s a lame holiday especially in America to celebrate, but back in San Jose, when coworkers of Mexican heritage in the office organize and want to bring in aluminum trays of all kinds of home cooked goodness and the company is ok with people folks chugging modelo and tequila shots and calling the afternoon off, who am I to say no.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    I was right about Cinco de Mayo specials still being available at Carmen’s today (Saturday, May 6). Pork Chile Colorado! So good, so tender.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Save an Elephant
    Kill a Poacher
    Picture of urbanwarrior238
    posted Hide Post
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
    I go to Carmen’s Mexican Foods here in San Diego every Saturday morning. Saturday will be May 6, but there’s no doubt that Cinco de Mayo specials will still be on offer.

Looking forward to that! Maybe even tamales.

San Diego?..San Diego is "El Indio restaurant" all the way every day!!

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    quote:
    Originally posted by arfmel:

I had to look that one up.

"campechana is a traditional dish in Mexican cuisine. It consists of chopped octopus that is slowly boiled in water with its ink, vinegar, onion, garlic.

Well, I’ll have to tell Tommy Ramos his deluxe campechanas are wrong. (like he’s going to care) He makes them with tortilla chips, ground meat, refried beans, cheese, guacamole, lettuce and tomato. Fresh jalapeños, too, if you want. I’m pretty sure his recipe would handily outsell the octopus version, here.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    Mr. Ramos' recipe sounds way better.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post