SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It’s Cinco de Mayo – support your local taco shop!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s Cinco de Mayo – support your local taco shop! Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I go to Carmen’s Mexican Foods here in San Diego every Saturday morning. Saturday will be May 6, but there’s no doubt that Cinco de Mayo specials will still be on offer.

Looking forward to that! Maybe even tamales.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There will be tacos for dinner tonight.

Anyone in the Aberdeen area of Maryland, Supermercado Campos, over on Beards Hill road, some of the best Honduran/Ecuadorian/Mexican food I’ve ever had. They have horchata on tap as well!

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eagle10
posted Hide Post
Have a Brave Bull as an after dinner drink. (Brave Bull = equal parts of tequila and kahlua over ice)

Posts: 112 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
YAAAAY Mexican victory at the Battle of Puebla in 1862!!

And yet another reason for Americans to drink!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Texas BBQ tonight Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good day for menudo!

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I am aware of Cinco (the day and the celebrations associated) but am ignorant of the history and background. I have many questions but perhaps more appropriate in a separate thread.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A Mexican military victory over the French doesn't say much for either.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Done, though I opted for beef nachos at one of my favorite spots.

As an aside, it’s also another 5/5 holiday… Big Grin

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24102 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Sorry, Texas BBQ tonight Smile

wrap it in a burrito and poof! Carne Asada!

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Pico De Gallo:

PS this is recorded by some friends of my wife and myself. Cool

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Wife said there is almost 0 cars on 680 this morning and has never seen it so empty. She didn't get the message to not drive to work today. Normally a parking lot.

I said, Cinco de Mayo.

She said, there must not be any Mexicans on the road today.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6966 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The holiday is not all that popular in Mexico, except maybe in the state of Puebla.

Regardless, good deals on tacos is something to celebrate.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
We are ready

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
No patience. We had tacos and margs last night

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s Cinco de Mayo – support your local taco shop!
No Thanks! I don't like crowds. Therefore, I don't go to Mexican joints on May 5th much like I don't go to Irish joints on March 17th. Friday night and Cinco de Mayo means every Mexican joint worth a shit will have a big wait.

I'm making Mexican rice from scratch for the GF and I tonight. Also, have some chicken breast marinating in mojo criollo. I'm planning to pair with Negro Modelo, and likely she'll be having a Paloma.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
It’s Cinco de Mayo – support your local taco shop!
No Thanks! I don't like crowds. Therefore, I don't go to Mexican joints on May 5th much like I don't go to Irish joints on March 17th.

Tatortodd, what's your opinion of Torchy's? It seems decent for a chain taco joint.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Tatortodd, what's your opinion of Torchy's? It seems decent for a chain taco joint.
I ate there twice this week including last night. Big Grin

Is it traditional Mexican? No

Are their tacos delicious? Yes

I've tried pretty much every taco on the menu except the fake meat one and the vegetarian one. Generally, I get a half order of queso, their taco of the month and rotate one of these:
  • trailer park (fried chicken)
  • (secret menu) green chili pork missionary style (it's better than their regular green chili pork)
  • chicken fajita
  • Mr Orange (blackened salmon)
  • (secret menu) Ace of Spades (jalapeno cheddar sausage, brisket, and fried egg)

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post