SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Military appreciation with a P228 Karma ---> *** WINNER = Yellow Jacket ***
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military appreciation with a P228 Karma ---> *** WINNER = Yellow Jacket *** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the chance. My dad was a fighter pilot in the Pacific during WWII and my grandfather was an artillery man during WWI. I have the revolvers each carried during his service. One of my uncles’ claim to fame was having to bail out three times- once from a B-29 and twice from a B-47.

My greatx4 grandfather fought in a Louisiana infantry regiment during the Civil War. He assaulted Culp’s Hill at Gettysburg and was captured afterward during the retreat. He spent a year in a Union POW camp before escaping and returning to the South where he joined a Louisiana Cavalry regiment and served until the end of the war. I believe his original regiment had just 17 soldiers when they surrendered at Appomattox.

Posts: 992 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I served in the early '60's in the USAF, mostly as a LEO, but more to the point a K-9 handler. I had the pee-willie scared out of me a few times at night in France but all ended well. Thanks for the chance at a great karma !

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
U.S. Army 1981-1985. Two years in a border patrol unit in West Germany , Two years in the 101ST Air Bourn Division. Thank you!

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post

807th Tank Destroyer Battalion staff officers, including my grandfather.

Also had two uncles serve in Vietnam.

Thanks for your generosity, as always!

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I'd like a chance. Army guy here, but I'd like to enter this one for my Great Uncle Billy who was in Vietnam. He did a few tours and carries them with him daily, both physically and emotionally.

Thank you Q for the opportunity.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opportunity. Your question about service matched an earlier thread about family I military history. I posted the following:

Revolutionary War: 2x great+ grandfathers. They were in militia units out of New York. As best as I can determine, they were in minor battles/skirmishes only;

Mexican/American War: Great+ grandfather was in the Mormon Battalion;

1927-WWII: Maternal grandfather. Coastal field artillery battalion out of California and calvary (the real horse kind);

WWII: Maternal grandfather, Lowry Army Air Corp,
Uncle, Battle of the Bulge (POW), and
Uncle, guard at POW camp in Utah;

Korean War: Maternal grandfather 204th FAB, UTNG
Uncle stateside,
and FIL Korea;

Post Korea - Pre Vietnam: Uncle; and

War on Terror: Brother.

Nobody was interested in my grandfather’s military service but me. So my grandmother gave me my grandfather’s Class A dress uniforms from WW2 (probably earlier), dress saber, what paperwork existed and significantly 4 8mm reels he took of his final unit, the 204th FAB during their service in Korea during the war. His unit used the 155mm Long Toms and in one year fired over 100,000 rounds and at one point, a couple of the guns were firing directly at ChiCom tanks. His unit arrived in Pusan, South Korea on 2 February 1951.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Q,

Please don't include me, since I already have a couple P228s, but thank you so much for your generosity! Quite a few served in my family. My father served in the Army in Germany in the early 1960s. His brother and sister both served in the Marines. His brother was killed in Vietnam in 1968. Several uncles and great uncles served in the Army and Navy during WWII and Vietnam. My great grandfather served in the Navy for 30 years, including WWI and WWII. My cousin served in the Marines, and I retired from the Navy a few years ago. My cousin and I had Thanksgiving dinner together in Afghanistan in 2011. I thought some members here might like to see a photo of the military version of the P228 (M11) in use. I won't relate the boring story about why I was firing that M11 into a berm in Afghanistan!

Posts: 154 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Q,

I qualify, but please don't include me, as I've already won a P228 from you.

I just want to take a moment and express my appreciation for your outstanding generosity on SIGforum. The kindness you display is a thing of wonder and legend here. I will always remember the great things you do for deserving ones.

On top of that, your posts are entertaining and spot on. Your contributions to discussion are always fun and informative.

Thank you for making SIGforum more of a family than just a forum.

H&K-Guy

I echo H&K-Guy's post. Thanks for your contributions here.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please put me in, U.S. Navy 1986 - 1990. Thanks for the opportunity.

Posts: 77 | Location: Coopersburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Dad was USN WW II on the USS Frederick Funston and was at Saipan, Iwo Jima and Leyte invasions to name a few. Please include me even though I’m in one of the less gun friendly states...although I’m moving to friendlier territory in two years!! Yeah!! Thanks for the opportunity!

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Air Force 1984-2015 and now I'm GS working for Dept of AF training F-22 pilots. If my name is drawn - send it to Dave Troung.

He's too generous and is deserving of this.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1367 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please count me in.

I had the honor of serving in Marine Corps from 1986-1990.

Good luck to everyone

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Very generous karma! My daughter and son-in-law are both in the National Guard.

Here's my daughter showing us her bunk on family day at Fort Jackson:

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the chance.

SSgt USMC 1977-1985

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer, 8.5 years active, Reserves on both ends.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Awesome offer! I’m 17 years active duty AF and a special operations pilot. Please don’t add me to the karma, just wanted to say it’s very generous of you.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful Karma. Thank you , I am in.

United States Coast Guard from 1976 - thru 1980.
Boot camp , 2 years on the USCGC Jarvis , and the remainder spent at The Port of Corpus Christi Marine Safety Office driving a 32 ft harbor boat.

The Jimmy Carter years starved me out of the military. Was going to make a career out of it. Thank God for President Ronald Reagan.

God closes one door and he opens another door. Spent the next 30 years as a police officer here.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 126 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Awesome! US Army, 1986-2004

Posts: 1987 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please add me. USMC 83/87. 0311

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My father was a Marine in the late '50s. My father in law was a career Air Force officer from 1942 to 1964.

Thanks for the chance.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post