SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marathon or tag heuer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marathon or tag heuer? Login/Join 
posted
Ok, I know tag is a solid watch. What about the Marathon? Not looking for anything crazy. Day date, water proof, and longetivity.
Will basically be a daily wearer, and be a bit abused.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Maybe look at this brand

RESCO

http://rescoinstruments.com

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no experience with the Marathon, but I have worn an automatic 2000 every day since 1998.

I wear it every where, in the ocean, in the pool, in the river and to formal dinners.

Our local Dealer, Dave, has serviced the watch and it is still going strong.

My Tag has served me well.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Tags are fine watches, I had a Twin-Time for a few years. I got rid of it once I discovered that they have some plastic inside holding the movement. I moved up to a Rolex, and won't be looking back. I may pick up one again in the future, for a beater when I go outta the country. They have a GMT version now with blue on half the bezel. I like the way it looks. Enjoy yours.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I really like my TAG. Used to wear it everyday for years.

No experience with Marathon.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
There are a few Marathon divers in the watch thread in the gallery. Perhaps you'd get a better response there...

Style-wise you'll have more options with Tag. Marathons are pretty much field, pilot, or dive watches. They make their name on military watches. They are also going to be cheaper, apples to apples, than comparable Tags. They have quartz watches from $200-400 and autos from $600-1500.

Tag divers start around $1500 and a Carrera is more like $2500 I think. They will have a good bit more variation in design and I'd consider them more "fashionable" than the rugged Marathon.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I have a Marathon SAR that I have used and abused since 2002. Had it serviced once during that period. Solid. No TAG experience. Both are now expensive.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No experience with any Tag, but my Marathon is solid! Mine is about 5 years old, I've worn it about 75% of the time, and have yet to have any problems with it.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I wore my Marathon today!

Rubber strap and knurled crown,looks great with casual clothes.
HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've had a Marathon GSAR for about 6 years. Bought the stainless steel bracelet too.

I don't have a Tag, but the Marathon has served me well. If I had to pick one to wear into Hell, it would be the one.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the Marathon, nothing wrong with tag but just not my thing.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm old school. I've always been suspect since they went from Heuer to Tag Heuer. The 60 Minutes stopwatch used to say Heuer on the face before somebody got skittish about showing brand names. I had a military issue Heuer stopwatch once with a plastic case. Paid $12 for it at a gunshow. Some SOB on the janitorial crew stole it from my office desk drawer .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Been wearing my TSAR for a month. Purchased from a member here. Great watch, wears lots smaller than it's 42mm case. If you want an auto, get the GSAR. I still need to score a stainless bracelet for mine. Tag's as really nice watches with a bigger price on them. Really impressed with my Marathon.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blusmoke:
Ok, I know tag is a solid watch. What about the Marathon? Not looking for anything crazy. Day date, water proof, and longetivity.
Will basically be a daily wearer, and be a bit abused.
Thanks in advance for your input.

TAG is NOT a solid watch if it's a bit abused. I work on boats and have worn TAGs for years....now I generally do not do heavy mechanical work.....light to medium at best. Every TAG I have had has broken every 2 years without fail, usually just shy as I warrantied one out one time. I have 2 broken Formula 1 TAGS sitting in my house right not as I speak. I was going to replace it with another, but quite honestly have just been wearing my Rolex everyday for the past 3 years and it has had zero issues.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I too have had a Marathon SAR since 2002. Bullet proof. I've not been impressed since they became Tag-Heuer instead of Heuer. I love my vintage Heuer chrono!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I've had a Marathon GSAR for about 6 years. Bought the stainless steel bracelet too.

I don't have a Tag, but the Marathon has served me well. If I had to pick one to wear into Hell, it would be the one.

My experience as well, same watch. I also have Tag Aquaracer that my wife bought me a few years back from Torneau, a well know watch store. I couldn't hate either of them more. In less than 1 yr, the POS bezel on my Tag broke a spring, and would turn both ways. Torneau and Tag both refused to service it stating only the movement is warrantied for a year. They told her she should have bought the additional insurance. Fuck extra insurance, and while 1400.00 or so isn't terribly expensive for a nice watch, its still alot of money to us. We figured buying perceived quality from a well know store would be good for our needs. If it wasnt a gift from her I would have sold the POS years ago. Sometimes I still go into the store where she purchased it just to see what is new. Inevitably, I get approached by a sales person. Imagine their dismay when I convey the above story in front of other customers, always makes me laugh. Just two weeks ago, I sent an em to Marathan about wanting to purchase a few spring bars as mine are worn and my bracelet is loose. Within days I had a pair in my mailbox free of charge.
I have a few nice watches, a Rolex that my Dad bequethed me and a Ball Spacemaster Hydrocarbon. For everyday wear the GSAR gets the nod. It has stood up to years of abuse and is still great. I will say, like most autos, it gains a few minutes per month, but in its defense it has never been serviced. Marathon wanted 250.00 I believe when I spoke with them about the spring bars. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another, and picking up a used one saves lots of scratch. I realize there are lots of Tag lovers, and their autos are probably very good, but Ill never know as I will never give them, or Torneau, another dime. Good luck either way, pls post pix.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience with Marathon but have this Tag and love it.

Posts: 428 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I too have had a Marathon SAR since 2002. Bullet proof. I've not been impressed since they became Tag-Heuer instead of Heuer. I love my vintage Heuer chrono!

Among my watch collection I have a Marathon J-SAR that I wear about every other day. Now six years old, it's built like a brick outhouse and is the soul of unsubtleness. If needed, it would make a great club.

Got a lot of others - Breitling, IWC, Omega, Rolex and so on, but never had a a TAG anything.

However, now I've seen your chrono, I'm deeply in love. I've just been talking to the guy who fixes my watches in Peterborough, and axed him to find me one.

It really lit all my candles.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
tac,
It's a 1986 vintage (here's the catalog page with model number). The movement is a Lemania 5100. FWIW My 510.503 sports a Sinn 157 bracelet that I beadblasted to match the Heuer's grey matte case. I like it much better than the factory original which I have stored away. The 510 series is rather rare. I've turned down a number of hefty offers to buy mine. As an aside, of the matte black, matte grey, and matte olive drab versions I much prefer the grey. Smile
--Bob

ADDENDUM: Did a quick search and found one in Sweden that sold in a day this past January for $1800 but probably needed service. http://www.chronocentric.com/f...cgi?md=read;id=62985. This one ended too but had an asking price in the $2000-2500 range: https://theheuer100.com/product/heuer-pewter-510-503/. And a current listing on eBay for $2700 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintag...4:g:f6MAAOSwB-1YyPKp

Oh and one caveat, the mineral glass crystal is not something you can readily replace. Thankfully they, at least mine, has stood up very well over the years.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
tac,
It's a 1986 vintage (here's the catalog page with model number). The movement is a Lemania 5100. FWIW My 510.503 sports a Sinn 157 bracelet that I beadblasted to match the Heuer's grey matte case. I like it much better than the factory original which I have stored away. The 510 series is rather rare. I've turned down a number of hefty offers to buy mine. As an aside, of the matte black, matte grey, and matte olive drab versions I much prefer the grey. Smile
--Bob

ADDENDUM: Did a quick search and found one in Sweden that sold in a day this past January for $1800 but probably needed service. http://www.chronocentric.com/f...cgi?md=read;id=62985. This one ended too but had an asking price in the $2000-2500 range: https://theheuer100.com/product/heuer-pewter-510-503/

Oh and one caveat, the mineral glass crystal is not something you can readily replace. Thankfully they, at least mine, has stood up very well over the years.

Many thanks, Sir, for that information. Sorry to hear that you had to do the BB yourself - I have a very similar-looking IWC chrono in BB titanium .

My pal be's lookin', him.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post