SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marathon or tag heuer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marathon or tag heuer? Login/Join 
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
I have a Marathon SAR (Maple leaf edition) and just last week during the time change for daylight saving time I noticed how smooth the action was while adjusting the date and time--I've had mine about 5 years. I really like mine and highly recommend it. It is a chunk and makes a statement but also bangs on things and it doesn't fit under long sleeve dress shirts though--I have a dress watch for those occasions.

I don't have any experience with TAG.

SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the great responses.
I'll keep you posted on the purchase. Once again thanks

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I've had both Marathons and Tag Heuers. Still have a Tag Heuer Carrera. I don't abuse the snot out of the Carrera because it's more of a dress up watch but all the Tags I've had have been fine including the F-1 models. The Marathons are tough and great field watches but maybe not a dressy watch. Honestly you probably can't go wrong with either. I picked up a Swiss Auto Epos Sportive years back for $500-ish and it's been a perfect everyday watch.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That Carrera is gorgeous!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I had a tag for 14 years, broke it when I jumped in a pool with the screw open.
Then I got another one and I have had that for 14 years going strong.
Going to go to a Rolex just for something new but the Tag is still at 100%

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Bald1: If I had that Heuer Chrono and you had a feather up your ass, we would both be tickled!

That is a very special piece.

There are two or three Bundeswehr Heuer chronos for sale right now that are going in the $5K range. Vintage Heuer stuff is very highly prized.

I will add a caveat. TAG's are jewelry, Marathons are tools.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LH2
posted Hide Post
Marathon for your needs. Better bang for buck than Tag by far, as you're not paying for the name and huge advertising budget Tag has (Leo DiCaprio, etc...).

Lots of cops and military choose Marathon, as they're known as solid pieces.

If you need a recommended Marathon seller, I'd suggest Watchmann. Fast free shipping and great CS if you need it. I've purchased loads of watches from him over the years.

https://www.watchmann.com/marathonwatches.php

Posts: 3443 | Location: Arizona | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Bald1: If I had that Heuer Chrono and you had a feather up your ass, we would both be tickled!

That is a very special piece.

There are two or three Bundeswehr Heuer chronos for sale right now that are going in the $5K range. Vintage Heuer stuff is very highly prized.

ROTFLMAO!

If memory serves the Bundeswehr Heuer chrono design was later "copied" by Sinn as the 156 Military of which I own a pair. Smile

And for the OP, I still recommend a Marathon over a Tag-Heuer!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yes, the SINN chrono's are very much cut from the Heuer Beundeswehr cloth as is the O&W Mirage III which I used to own.

The O&W and SINN are too small for me as I have a large wrist and need a minimum of 42MM to avoid looking strange. (Or possibly stranGER!).

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
for what its worth I have a TAG

gave my first one to my dad because he liked it so much I then bought the same watch again

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I've owned two quartz Aquaracers and one Marathon MSAR. I didn't have any issues with the Tags, but I wasn't rough on them either. The Marathon is built like a tank. I seriously doubt you can break it, and I think you can use it as a bludgeon in an emergency. The downside with the Marathon is it's tall and heavy. It is not a dress or low profile time piece. Both brands are quality watches, but you don't see Marathon's left and right in the everyday world.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
My Marathon and my Resco get most wrist time, both built like tanks

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Thanks P250UA5. I liked the clean face. My wife got an Aquaracer for our last anniversary. The Tag store in Nassau is one of the neatest store in that city.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Thanks P250UA5. I liked the clean face. My wife got an Aquaracer for our last anniversary. The Tag store in Nassau is one of the neatest store in that city.

My EDW watch has changed recently to my Citizen Satellite Wave, from a Movado Fiero. Love the simplistic face on your Carrera & the Fiero.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blusmoke:
Ok, I know tag is a solid watch. What about the Marathon? Not looking for anything crazy. Day date, water proof, and longetivity.
Will basically be a daily wearer, and be a bit abused.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Check out Tudor - that's Rolex's "sister" brand. They'll be around the same price point as Tag, but I think Tudor makes a better and more durable watch. Not knocking Tag, they make a fine product, but I prefer Tudor at that price point.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I am kind of fond of my recently acquired Marathon, WW194015SS. Stainless, real sapphire crystal, quartz movement, and basic readable face.

Wilson Watch Works is another place to visit for Marathon watches. Their web site does not show pretty pictures of each watch, but if you have visited the Marathon site and got your model number picked out, Wilson shows their inventory and discount price. Quick shipping and easy to deal with.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone who works on watches if you want to save some money and want a watch that can take a beating and don't mind the military/diving look then get the Marathon.

I would never buy a Tag Heuer unless it was heavily discounted or grey market because they depreciate so badly that they are worth shit on the used market if you buy them new you get so bent over. They aren't the same quality as back in the day when they were just Heuer, it's all marketing that carries the brand today. That's what happens when you chase after every price point from 700 dollars up to 5500 plus, you don't see Omega with sub 1K watches using cheaper steels and nylon/plastic bezels and crowns.

Me personally I would get a cheaper watch to wear daily not super high end luxury and a nicer one when you want to go out that's how I do it.

I worked on that Tag with the blue and black bezel with the GMT function at retail of 2,200 dollars it was a rip off, customer paid 1,200 grey market new which was a good price for what he got. Unfortunately it retails for so low compared to other models because they really went cheap on the bracelet. Cheap cotter pins holding the links together, links where solid but not the best they offer like on a Carrera, cheaper crown, plastic movement holder, stamped steel clasp not solid, I've seen Swiss Army watches just as good without the automatic movement for 600 dollars and up.

Posts: 966 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post