SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just Announced To Friends and Family I'm Leaving Facebook
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Announced To Friends and Family I'm Leaving Facebook Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Over these last several years I've justified my continued presence on Facebook as being how I was keeping in touch with far-flung friends and family. With the constant parade of social and political travesties over the past four years being aided in no small part by the dominant social media sites, culminating in this farce of an election, I could no longer in good conscience continue to lend an air of legitimacy to Facebook, or any other the others, with my presence on those platforms.

So just an hour ago I announced to friends and family that I'd be leaving Facebook for good.

Will my leaving make a difference? Maybe not to others, but I think I'll sleep more easily.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Started the deactivation process on Wednesday myself.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just do what so many others have done, go over to Parler app. It's free and posts are NOT censored.

Get your friends/family to do so.

"messages" is another free contact site.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Are there benefits to Parler over MeWe?

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey are the George Soros of the U.S. They control mass communications and "information", while using their billions to interfere in elections. To be a part of these real life Lex Luthors is to be part of the destruction of our country as we know it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I have not been particularly impressed with Parler. I've no idea who MeWe even is. Gab seems pretty cool, but not a single individual I know is on it, and I've lost interest in following social/political commentary. (I even just unsubscribed from Reason, to which I'd just subscribed a couple months ago.)

So I'm probably completely off social media entirely.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Seriously and not to deride you, but if you let such things as Facebook keep you from sleeping easily, you're doing life wrong. Either that or life must be perfect in all other things for you that you're letting Facebook be the pea under the 20 mattresses you sleep on.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Seriously and not to deride you, but if you let such things as Facebook keep you from sleeping easily, you're doing life wrong.

Perhaps I did not explain myself well.

Facebook, and my friends and family with whom I have been FB friends, wasn't keeping me awake nights. It was a niggling little corner of my conscience over continuing to use Facebook, knowing they and the other big social media networks are a big part of today's problems, that was weighing upon me a bit. (And that wasn't really keeping me awake nights. That was what we call a metaphor.)

It's kind of like getting the bill for a meal at a restaurant and realizing they'd undercharged you. Do you just pay the bill, knowing the waitress/waiter had made a mistake and it might come out of their earnings, or do you make it right?

I'm making something right--at least in my mind.

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I deleted it off my phone. Im still admin for a few car pages that I'm not ready to give up but quitting it for personal use.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Over these last several years I've justified my continued presence on Facebook as being how I was keeping in touch with far-flung friends and family. With the constant parade of social and political travesties over the past four years being aided in no small part by the dominant social media sites, culminating in this farce of an election, I could no longer in good conscience continue to lend an air of legitimacy to Facebook, or any other the others, with my presence on those platforms.

So just an hour ago I announced to friends and family that I'd be leaving Facebook for good.

Will my leaving make a difference? Maybe not to others, but I think I'll sleep more easily.

Good for you ensigmatic! My apologies if I sounded harsh to you the other day in regards to this it was not my intent. Social media has always been a trigger with me. Anyone who knows me knows better than to start a sentence with "I read on Facebook". I railed against this garbage back in the My Space days too.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I dropped off Facebook during the 2016 election cycle when friends I’d know for years began espousing their liberal garbage and I decided to take the high road..

Unfortunately it’s virtually impossible to delete your FB account...but I just don’t go there anymore.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should all just jump on facebook with bogus profiles and fuck with their heads for 4 years. We should be flooding their platform with 24/7 bullshit and overwhelm their little fact checkers.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3488 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
What is facebook? Never had it.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I did this about a year and a half ago.

It was the best damned thing I ever did. I don’t have time or energy to associate with the people and ideas that are abundant on faceplace.

Notice, when I dumped those shitheads and all the crap that wound me up, I started posting here quite regularly. Much nicer to be around people with like minds, values, interests, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got rid of Facebook a few years ago, and got rid of Instagram 15 minutes into the virtue signaling "blackout Tuesday" crap.

Posts: 440 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
How do you do it leaving nothing? Aren’t your old posts in other peoples threads and wall?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I deleted my FB account early in October when FB censored / deleted / covered up / down graded any posts concerning hunter biden's laptop story. Leaving FB was a long time coming and that was the last straw for me. I was only ever on FB for shared friendship with folks I'd met on a couple of dog forums but FB's continued blatant extreme left liberal dem bias is just too much to tolerate.

Posts: 4841 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I set up an army of alternate accounts after being censored a few times during the meme wars. After this motorcycle deal goes through tomorrow that I found on Facebook classifieds I’m deleting my real account and just using an alternate account to follow a few interests that I otherwise wouldn’t be able to follow nearly as well and use their classifieds section.

I should probably just delete all the accounts because I hate Zuckerberg and don’t want to support him but there is no viable option to get the same coverage for MotoGP and the classifieds is better than Craigslist.

It’s a damn shame Facebook is run by fascist fuckweasels. Facebook is bad for society, it is toxic and brings out the worst in humanity intentionally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing good comes from facebook. Recognized this early.

Sig Forum is my only social media.

Posts: 995 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
I locked everything down (only I can view) deleted all pictures (there were less than a dozen) and logged out just under a year ago. I will log in briefly at some point before year's end just to maintain some minimal activity. Otherwise, I'm happy to let FaceWaste and their advertisers/sponsors spend money on what is essentially a dead account.

If the need arises in the future as a way to contact far flung friends or family then it's still there

Besides, if things really do go pear shaped as many here believe, then why give up a possible source of localized intel? (Not really why I keep it, but hey, ya' never know I guess.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post