SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just Announced To Friends and Family I'm Leaving Facebook
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Announced To Friends and Family I'm Leaving Facebook Login/Join 
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
It is super easy to delete your Facebook account. Takes 30 seconds, go to account settings and hit the delete button. They may ask if you want to just temporarily shut it down, but you can pass right over. There certainly isn't a process, it's easy.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
It is super easy to delete your Facebook account. Takes 30 seconds, go to account settings and hit the delete button. They may ask if you want to just temporarily shut it down, but you can pass right over. There certainly isn't a process, it's easy.

This is what I did last Wednesday.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I waited 10 years
for this
posted Hide Post
After watching the social dilemma I deleted mine. Good watch for the family if you have kids.

Posts: 133 | Location: nebraska | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I deleted it off my phone.

I haven't had FB or FB Messenger apps on my mobile devices for years. They are often serious battery hogs and they've more than once been caught in privacy violations.

quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I'm still admin for a few car pages that I'm not ready to give up but quitting it for personal use.

I was Admin for a political group. I announced its termination two days ago and terminated it today.

quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Good for you ensigmatic! My apologies if I sounded harsh to you the other day in regards to this it was not my intent.

We're good

quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
How do you do it leaving nothing? Aren’t your old posts in other peoples threads and wall?

I used to use a social post manager that would scan though your activity log and delete content for a date range you specified.

For the last year I've been in the habit of pruning all content of mine, including likes and other reactions, that were over 72 hours old. Hardly anybody ever looks... well, looked at anything more than a day or two old, anyway.

So, when I shut that thing down, tomorrow, there will be no old content from me hanging around Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Seriously and not to deride you, but if you let such things as Facebook keep you from sleeping easily, you're doing life wrong. Either that or life must be perfect in all other things for you that you're letting Facebook be the pea under the 20 mattresses you sleep on.

I have never had Facebook or any other social media crap. Never believed that it was worthy of my time. However I do agree with Rey HRH regarding doing life wrong if it’s keeping you from sleeping. A good friend of mine once said that “Facebook was not like an airport. He did not have to announce his departure.”

No offense intended in quoting my good friend.

Posts: 798 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
A good friend of mine once said that Facebook was not like an airport. He did not have to announce his departure.

To each their own, but I have 97 "FB friends" that are actual real life friends--some from as far back as high school, and family. They're spread out literally all over the U.S. and the world.

You don't go to a gathering of friends and family and just up and walk out at some point without saying your goodbyes, do you? Same thing. Sure, they're not right here, but that doesn't make them any less living, breathing human beings with feelings. It's called having respect and consideration for others.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I really don’t understand this mentality.

I’ll remain on FB forever. I refuse to watch cable news, network news or anything of the sort. Facebook keeps me informed of what the enemy is doing. I also receive regular emails from places like the Gifford’s gun control PAC, and SPLC. There is a lot of valuable intel to be gleaned from it. They never conduct business in a shroud of secrecy. They always proudly boast their plans.

Know your enemy, gents.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
On the flip side of that argument if you stay you are letting your enemy know a frightening amount of info about you as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
On the flip side of that argument if you stay you are letting your enemy know a frightening amount of info about you as well.

Not necessarily. E.g.: I used to use Twitter only for following computer and network security feeds. I contributed no content.

Eventually, though, I started following all kinds of political people and their followers, and contributing to the noise level. Eventually it became overwhelming. About the same time, Twitter started blatantly muzzling non-leftists.

I briefly considered trimming my follows on Twitter back down to only computer and network security feeds, but, knowing what I then knew about the political agenda they were promoting, I could no longer in good conscience use the service.

That is what has finally happened to me with Facebook, as well. FB isn't as bad as Twitter, but they still do it.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, if you want to be on fb, fine. If you want to off fb, fine. No need to be pointing fingers at one another. Just don't be donating anything to them, because that would crossing the line, and I'll have to point all 10 fingers at you.

Q

Posts: 27618 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

What information are they getting about me that isn’t publicly known? I have posted on my personal page once in 8 years?

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Same thing.

Is it? I have no experience with Facebook or anything similar so I’m not entirely sure about this, but I get the strong impression from reading about the site for years that use of the word “friend” there can mean something much different from its traditional meaning. Your friends there are evidently what I think of when I hear the word, but that certainly isn’t true of all of everyone’s Facebook “friends” as I understand it.

Members of this forum don’t have formally identified “friends,” but when a previously active member stops posting that sometimes leads to questions about his/her status, and occasionally someone will make an effort to check on them. I suppose that might sometimes be reason enough to announce one’s departure, but then there are the inevitable “Why” questions that the departee may simply not want to discuss. And of course the reasons for one’s departure are often very apparent, and under circumstances that would make it very unlikely that the departee would feel any obligation to explain his reasons. I have seen that more times than I could possibly remember and only a few stand out.

My only similar experience was on another forum long ago. I participated for only a few posts until I was accosted by a notorious troll (no parabellum to keep things in line there). I posted a reaction and never went back. I didn’t announce my departure, but the other members there were smart enough to figure it out—assuming they cared in the least what my reasons were.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Just don't be donating anything to them, because that would crossing the line, and I'll have to point all 10 fingers at you.

Well... see, Q: There's the rub. If you participate via FB you are donating something to them, in a way: You are donating legitimacy to them. And I just could not do that any longer.

I'm not pointing any fingers, either. People gotta do what they feel is best for them. And I've been on FB, legitimizing them, for a good long while. "People in glass houses" and all that Wink

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
... I have no experience with Facebook or anything similar so I’m not entirely sure about this, but I get the strong impression from reading about the site for years that use of the word “friend” there can mean something much different from its traditional meaning. Your friends there are evidently what I think of when I hear the word, but that certainly isn’t true of all of everyone’s Facebook “friends” as I understand it.

Of course it's not. And, in fact, up until 2-3 years ago I had a bunch of FB "friends" that are the kind of thing about which you're talking. They were people that I met on-line, usually pre-FB, and "friends" of theirs. At some point FB overwhelmed me, I took a 4-month hiatus, and, when I returned the first thing I did was trim my FB friends list down to only people I knew IRL.

So, yes: We're talking honest-to-God real friends. Or at least close acquaintances. And family.

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
... but then there are the inevitable “Why” questions that the departee may simply not want to discuss.

I explained the reasons for my departure in my announcement of same. I phrased it in such a manner so as to brook no discussion. I guess I got it right, because there has been none--other than "sorry to see you go, I'll miss you" kinds of things.

If I had just up and disappeared, then there would have been Questions. Only it would be my wife and, probably, my best friend to whom they would have been directed. I wasn't about to leave them with that.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
jljones, look up Facebook privacy violations and the $5 Billion dollar settlement those violations caused. Trump’s former digital campaign manager said during an interview that if most people knew the extent of the information FB has access to and sells when you join up many would delete their accounts immediately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Gentlemen, if you want to be on fb, fine. If you want to off fb, fine. No need to be pointing fingers at one another. Just don't be donating anything to them, because that would crossing the line, and I'll have to point all 10 fingers at you.

One of the most logical posts in hours. Thanks Q.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
A good friend of mine once said that Facebook was not like an airport. He did not have to announce his departure.

To each their own, but I have 97 "FB friends" that are actual real life friends--some from as far back as high school, and family. They're spread out literally all over the U.S. and the world.

You don't go to a gathering of friends and family and just up and walk out at some point without saying your goodbyes, do you? Same thing. Sure, they're not right here, but that doesn't make them any less living, breathing human beings with feelings. It's called having respect and consideration for others.

I certainly understand your position. Also, I tried to make clear that there was not any malice intended toward you. I offer sincere apologies if you felt slighted in any way.

Posts: 798 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
I deleted mine several years ago, but reactivated it in 2013 to make a page for my business. I no longer update my personal page, and use it only to post business related info.

Facebook is like the STD of social networks.

Posts: 7804 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Maybe not so fabulous after all
posted Hide Post
Did the same thing in June. Only I didn't announce it to anyone.

Posts: 127 | Registered: August 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
jljones, look up Facebook privacy violations and the $5 Billion dollar settlement those violations caused. Trump’s former digital campaign manager said during an interview that if most people knew the extent of the information FB has access to and sells when you join up many would delete their accounts immediately.

Yes. Same thing that google, apple, and everyone else is doing. Facebook is doing no more or less than any of the others. If you have a smart phone you are as exposed as having a FB account. Warning about FB while typing on a smart phone or PC is about like swearing off sweets while drinking a 12 pack of cokes a day and claiming that you’re cutting back.

No one is off grid in today’s world. Very few, if any.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Call me old school but I thank the Lord that I just continue to pick up the phone and flat out call people. Facebook is nothing but a huge data mining operation for the media gods. I appreciate that some folks find it easier to communicate with and I respect your choice but these days it should be called something more like "Mindph$ck" because people, (insert sheeple) accept what they see to be the gospel truth and then formulate their opinions too quickly.
Go ahead and jump overboard...you will sleep better at night soon!

Posts: 598 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post