SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida move update
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida move update Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Was in town last week and looked at some homes. It's a really tough market. Won a bid on a new construction in Auburndale around Lake Juliana. Still working out my FFL with the HOA. Worst comes to worst, I stay there until the market slows and I pick up a home that will allow me to run my FFL.

The bottom line is that I need a home to live in. The resale market is absurd. The new construction homes don't call for as much overbidding as resales. Looks like the timing will be perfect and the home will be finished as we move into town. I'd rather build equity and property value than rent and throw away money while I fight over a house with everyone else.

I just have to keep reminding myself that FL, no matter how competitive real estate is, is way better than Oregon. Our home in Oregon sold for $50k over asking after only 3 days on the market. We had six offers. FL is nowhere near as competitive as Washington County, OR. The rest of the state is slowing down, but I still live only 10 minutes from the Intel campus, so the market here is still very hot.

Looking forward to meeting the FL crew.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I do not agree with your second paragraph. But understand. Hope it all works out for you in FL. Benny.

I have some serious reservations that all these moves on a whim and the reasons behind them are going to pan out for all that have made them. Not saying you are one of them.

I think there in pain in the future for many.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! You are just 36 miles south of me, right down Rt. 33.

Have you figured out where you and your wife are going to work yet?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I do not agree with your second paragraph. But understand. Hope it all works out for you in FL. Benny.

I have some serious reservations that all these moves on a whim and the reasons behind them are going to pan out for all that have made them. Not saying you are one of them.

I think there in pain in the future for many.

With the sale of our OR home, we're going to be able to pay off all debts (student loans, two cars, etc...) and have only a mortgage and utilities. And we're still able to put enough down on the house to avoid PMI. So we're walking into this debt free (minus mortgage). Wife's a travel nurse and will be making enough that my income will be supplimental.

Tony.

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Congratulations! You are just 36 miles south of me, right down Rt. 33.

Have you figured out where you and your wife are going to work yet?

Wife's doing the travel nurse gig and working at Orlando Regional during the weekends or between contracts. I'll figure something out in the meantime. Best case scenario, I get my FFL straightened out and I start working on guns. Worst case, I fill the time with some other menial job until I sort out a place to open up shop.

Looking forward to having you over for some good BBQ!

Tony.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Tony Please do not take this the wrong way. I am happy for you.

But "debt free" and "minus mortgage" don't belong in the same sentence.

As we have discussed in multiple threads. If the market drops. People paying todays prices could be upside down in a hurry when carrying a large mortgage. And even if they pay cash. It would result in a serious loss of equity.
Selling can be an option. But will result in a short sale/foreclosure for many I fear.

Again, not trying to say that is you but why I said I disagree with the last sentence in your second paragraph.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Benny, even if you go into an apartment for a year, it won’t be money wasted. You’ll still have a roof over your head and will be able to find the right neighbor hood for you and your FFL business.

And he bottom of the market may drop out and you get a better home for the money you have in the bank.

And Dave Ramsey considers you “debt free” even if you have a mortgage. It’s super easy to pile all the earned money into the house when it’s to only bill you have.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Do you have a date yet, for the actual move?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tony Please do not take this the wrong way. I am happy for you.

But "debt free" and "minus mortgage" don't belong in the same sentence.

As we have discussed in multiple threads. If the market drops. People paying todays prices could be upside down in a hurry when carrying a large mortgage. And even if they pay cash. It would result in a serious loss of equity.
Selling can be an option. But will result in a short sale/foreclosure for many I fear.

Again, not trying to say that is you but why I said I disagree with the last sentence in your second paragraph.

Well, right now we both have student loans, two car payments, a timeshare, a mortgage, a radical left wing governor, a radical left wing education system and police that allow riots but don't allow parent protest. We have homeless, rioters, Pantifa, BLM, a spineless mayor, etc...

When we move we will have no other debt but the mortgage. We'll have an awesome governor. Our kids are now protected from groomers. No amount of money is worth staying where I am now. We're out. We're done. We're grown-ups. We'll be fine. I don't really care about money and I'm not attached to money or material things, but we've counted the cost.

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Do you have a date yet, for the actual move?

Moving June 16th and will arrive around June 28th or the 30th. Something like that.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

And Dave Ramsey considers you “debt free” even if you have a mortgage. It’s super easy to pile all the earned money into the house when it’s to only bill you have.

Exactly. We're pretty aggressive about stuff like that.

Tony.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Tony. Enjoy freedom.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Congrats Tony! Good for you guys escaping the Left coast. We are trying to hold on a few years ourselves to capture an early pension but every day we are a little closer to saying “screw it” and going.

Good on you guys.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best of luck. I know it has been a rough year for you. You have a positive attitude and I am sure things will work out for you.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Congratulations, Tony. Enjoy freedom.

I second this.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, right now we both have student loans, two car payments, a timeshare, a mortgage, a radical left wing governor, a radical left wing education system and police that allow riots but don't allow parent protest. We have homeless, rioters, Pantifa, BLM, a spineless mayor, etc...

When we move we will have no other debt but the mortgage. We'll have an awesome governor. Our kids are now protected from groomers. No amount of money is worth staying where I am now. We're out. We're done. We're grown-ups. We'll be fine. I don't really care about money and I'm not attached to money or material things, but we've counted the cost.

Tony.
Sounds like a good move to me. If you sold your house at the top of the market and bought at the top of the market it’s not really hurting you. It’s the people who don’t have a home to sell but need one to buy that could get clobbered.

Congrats on the move!

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, cashing out and having no debts but the mortgage sounds like a good idea.
Your wife can get a job in her field almost anywhere and living in a free state sounds good too.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:

Tony.
Sounds like a good move to me. If you sold your house at the top of the market and bought at the top of the market it’s not really hurting you. It’s the people who don’t have a home to sell but need one to buy that could get clobbered.

Congrats on the move!

Yeah, it all came together nicely this last month. Housing prices in my neighborhood went vertical. In three months we saw our property value increase by $100k. Both me and my realtor agree that the market is about to pop here and I don't see how anyone can afford homes at this price level. I think we sold at the peak.

We're getting rid of $900 monthly in car payments, $750 in student loans and $400 in timeshare. Plus by home schooling my son, that's $800 monthly we're not spending in private school.

That's $2850 a month we're not losing anymore. That's more than my current mortgage. Plus we're not paying state income tax any more.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats, and good luck! Glad you're punching out. This whole area has lost its damn mind. We wanted Florida, we'll take Arizona. Sounds like you're gonna come out ahead on this thing.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome. You are going to love Florida.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Details aside, I’d be taking FL over OR any day. As was posted, since you sold at a good price, should offer some cushion with buying.

A big, long distance move, hope all goes well.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post