SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Casting a vote based upon who is "nice"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Casting a vote based upon who is "nice" Login/Join 
posted
I live in NJ and come into contact with lots of Biden voters as you might expect. A lot of conservatives seem to think that Biden voters know exactly what they are getting when they vote for him. I disagree. In speaking with one relative, she thinks that Biden is "nicer" than Trump, and that's a good reason to vote for him. In speaking with her, it's obvious that she is badly uninformed about what his policy positions are and what direction he will take the country. I'm not talking about the far out stuff (like packing the court etc - which could happen). I am talking about basic Democrat dogma that he will implement. I do think that literally millions of people vote based upon their perception of personality and other non-policy issues, rather than a cold and logical analysis of issues, policy positions, and what would be best for the country. What say you?

Posts: 1072 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Attractive candidates have a better chance of being elected as well. Many of the campaign signs resembled glamour shots.

If the postion is District Attorney looking tough plays well.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
It’s called “identity politics”, a Marxist fundamental.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Of course. Most people vote on how they "feel" not on known facts or ideological consistency.

Most voters are shockingly uninformed about the positions and ideology of the people they vote for. They either identify with "nice" or they identify with "tribe". There is no thought.

It has long been my contention that the most dangerous voter in the country is a suburban soccer mom with kids. Utter vacuous ignorance, overflowing feeling.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
This is also a symptom of the blatant media bias in this country. joe biden is a mean old b*stard, but the media portrays him as Mr Rogers. President Trump is a really nice guy, but the media portrays him as a mean old humbug who wants to kick your dog.

This is incessant and almost inescapable, and it eventually wears people down. People are used to trusting the media. Perhaps, this was a good thing decades ago, but definitely NOT today. I can easily see why people vote democrat, thinking they really are the 'love/tolerate' crowd.

I remember during Bush's two terms, where the media CONSTANTLY portrayed him as a buffoon. I had to catch myself every so often, as I found myself starting to believe some of the lies.

Now, take somebody who watches cnn, msnbc, etc, and it's easy to see how they have allowed themselves to be deceived by the CONSTANT lies and dishonest reporting. You can bet that, were President Trump to prevail and get all the fraud overturned, people will still believe he 'stole the election.' The msm will never quit (that's why they went overboard this election, refusing to call Florida, since that would show President Trump as ahead in the Electoral College count (correct me if I'm wrong, but the msm NEVER showed Trump ahead by as much as a single point at any time in this election). . .

It is yet one more reason we need a revolution in the media. If it can't be saved, then burn it to the ground (figuratively only, of course) and re-build it from scratch.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21928 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Fools logic..

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a friend in CA, a "Republican" who will not vote for Trump under any circumstances. He agrees that he has done "better work than Obama"actually likes much of what the President has done, but despises him because he is "unpresidential and beneath the dignity of the office". Pressed further, he says Trump is mean, coarse, and that Romney would be much better as POTUS. So voting for a "nicer guy" is not strictly a Democrat trait.

Coincidentally, I haven't spoken to my friend in almost a year.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Casting a vote based on who is “nice” is stupid.

It needs to be thought of as a hiring decision. Who do I think is going to do the better job running the country?

Sleepy, Creepy Joe with 47 years in politics and no accomplishments to speak of? The Ho who kept wrongly convicted people in jail to work for the state? Or the guy who’s been in politics for the last four or five years and has accomplished a hell of a lot with the media, big tech, and the DemonRats 100% against him and the Republicans certainly not 100% behind him?

Gee, let me think about that for a half second or so.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Occasionally I have to remind myself that 90% of the time people (sadly, me included) make decisions based on emotion rather than reason/logic.

We like to think we all do the opposite, but that's essentially denial.

What you're describing from your relative is the norm not the exception.

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I have a friend in CA, a "Republican" who will not vote for Trump under any circumstances. He agrees that he has done "better work than Obama"actually likes much of what the President has done, but despises him because he is "unpresidential and beneath the dignity of the office". Pressed further, he says Trump is mean, coarse, and that Romney would be much better as POTUS. So voting for a "nicer guy" is not strictly a Democrat trait.

Coincidentally, I haven't spoken to my friend in almost a year.

I used to wish PDJT were more presidential, but the reality sank in that in the uphill battle he has been fighting only a rabid, frothing at the mouth, never give a fraction of an inch, pit bull attitude would have a chance.

You’ll never see it in the media, but PDJT has been very empathetic, very presidential, very kind, very positive and supportive when appropriate. He has also been combative as hell in dealing with all the forces arrayed against him, forces that would have left folks like mittens clutching their blankie and sucking their thumb. I do not know of anyone else who could have done what PDJT has done. He truly is the *only* man for the job today.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
People bet on horses based on the color of the Jockey's silks....

It's strange because an insurance company here is in the P&C and L&H business, probably the largest in the state. Most all of the top people are big time Dems and major Biden supporters.

They have to know that the D party would toss them under the bus in a Miami second for Single payer care, 40% of the company revenue would cease to exist overnight.... Why would you support such people....

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charisma has always been a factor; media, marketing and PR folks have played on this since the industry was invented and politics is no different. There's a LOT of people who's opinions are swayed simply due to attract-ability. In today's age of social-media, stage managed quotes & appearances, and the formation of celebrity media worship, you can say such attitudes are at an all time high. It's pathetic as a culture and it's pathetic that such an individual is so easily swayed.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know so many people mostly women who are OBSESSED with the private citizen trump who said some things out of context that are not pleasant, stormy Daniels. Yet will ignore 47 years of quasi racist comments, bizarre behavior towards kids and most recently likely strait up money laundering. But DJT is the bad man

Posts: 4975 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How do you think Obama got elected? Younger, good looking, well spoken, presented very well. Whatever his politics or policies were was secondary.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think of "Slick Willie" Clinton, who many women swooned over. (Monica went further).

He was a skirt chasing, sax playing buffoon, inexperienced politician but many voters adored him.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I realize I won't be more popular here for saying what I think, but I really think much of Trump's struggle to be reelected falls at his own feet.

I think his policies and work have been some of the most laudable work by any president in our history, even exceeding some of the successes of RR. That said, if he would put his stupid Twitter account away, and learn to be a statesman sometimes, he would come out better, IMO. When he's on the phone with Netanyahu after brokering the peace deal with Sudan, he talks about "Sleepy Joe," etc. Come on man, stop trying to get your dad's attention or whatever your issue is, and just be a statesman.

I think there are TONS of people who aren't politically active or aware, but who see more of the optics of what he acts like instead of the actual work he accomplishes, and it is a blemish on their opinion. Is it wrong to judge him by how he acts or what he says in his tweets? Maybe, but if he'd act just a little more controlled, I think he would have gotten much more traction with people who don't think of themselves as Republican or Democrat. And in gaining their respect he could argue intelligently to sway them to his position. Simply put, do I think Reagan, transposed into Trump's position and with Trump's success stories, would have been in such a struggle to get re-elected? Nope, Reagan would be cruising easily to another term. But Trump can't shut his cake hole long enough to let people start to like him. Just my opinion, as someone who voted for him, likes his accomplishments, but hates that he thinks everything has to be a thumb in someone's eye.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, me too. One reason I started the thread. (I voted for him twice.)

Posts: 1072 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I realize I won't be more popular here for saying what I think, but I really think much of Trump's struggle to be reelected falls at his own feet.

I think his policies and work have been some of the most laudable work by any president in our history, even exceeding some of the successes of RR. That said, if he would put his stupid Twitter account away, and learn to be a statesman sometimes, he would come out better, IMO. When he's on the phone with Netanyahu after brokering the peace deal with Sudan, he talks about "Sleepy Joe," etc. Come on man, stop trying to get your dad's attention or whatever your issue is, and just be a statesman.

I think there are TONS of people who aren't politically active or aware, but who see more of the optics of what he acts like instead of the actual work he accomplishes, and it is a blemish on their opinion. Is it wrong to judge him by how he acts or what he says in his tweets? Maybe, but if he'd act just a little more controlled, I think he would have gotten much more traction with people who don't think of themselves as Republican or Democrat. And in gaining their respect he could argue intelligently to sway them to his position. Simply put, do I think Reagan, transposed into Trump's position and with Trump's success stories, would have been in such a struggle to get re-elected? Nope, Reagan would be cruising easily to another term. But Trump can't shut his cake hole long enough to let people start to like him. Just my opinion, as someone who voted for him, likes his accomplishments, but hates that he thinks everything has to be a thumb in someone's eye.

Politics has always been a dirty business. It's become more dirty and vicious in today's times.

40 years ago, Reagan was a seasoned actor who could sweet talk an angry person to leave his office.

Trump, a business man would simply tell him to GTFO.

In today's world of politics, we need a Trump in the White House.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
GWbiker, my point is that what we need is a Trump who isn't so full of himself that everything has to be a "see what I did?" moment, that will just do the job and move on to the next one.

The issue with keeping a Trump in the white house is... keeping him there, versus the folks voting him out for their perceptions of him. So here we are...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
NSFW

NSFW

Politics 2012+ in a nutshell.

Posts: 10045 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post