SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Casting a vote based upon who is "nice"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Casting a vote based upon who is "nice" Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I call bs. Citizens have a duty to be educated and informed. And get off this notion that it doesn’t matter who’s in office because nothing changes anyway. A shit ton has changed since Clinton and Obama. People who vote based on superficials should just leave.

I don’t give a rat’s fart about what he does on Twitter. That’s inconsequential relative to all the good he’s done in office.

Seriously, people can’t distinguish nit from important? Treating this stuff equally is stupid.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I call bs. Citizens have a duty to be educated and informed. And get off this notion that it doesn’t matter who’s in office because nothing changes anyway. A shit ton has changed since Clinton and Obama. People who vote based on superficials should just leave.

I don’t give a rat’s fart about what he does on Twitter. That’s inconsequential relative to all the good he’s done in office.

Seriously, people can’t distinguish nit from important? Treating this stuff equally is stupid.

My point is that what he does on Twitter IS important if it alienates a segment of voters who might otherwise cast a vote for him. Why not just be reasonably civil? Who did a better job mobilizing the liberals, Joe Biden or Trump's twitter?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:

My point is that what he does on Twitter IS important if it alienates a segment of voters who might otherwise cast a vote for him. Why not just be reasonably civil? Who did a better job mobilizing the liberals, Joe Biden or Trump's twitter?

Not to keep this thread going on, BUT Joe Biden doesn't remember what he said to the Liberals five minutes later.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
it's all about the hair. Good hair will get you elected

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Shit, conservatives do it too.

Not only that, thinking that being “reasonably civil” is going to sway voters is naive. Before Trump, we’ve played this “high moral ground” for the last 30 years. It has gotten us no where. What’s that old thing about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:

I understand. And my counterpoint is that these people wouldn't be alienated if they were informed and looked beyond the superficial and irrelevant. As an extreme example, I don't care an inkling of how crass he might be on twitter if he brings back big biz from PRC. Why ask him to be civil? Why not expect the citizen to be educated. If a citizen's vote is modulated by twitter behavior and not by policy, then the citizens deserve the president they get.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Such folks should be spayed or neutered.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17293 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Elections are a popularity contest plain and simple and the perception of looks play a big part also. If either candidate looked and talked like Barney Fife I don't believe this election would have been close.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was watching news today and a guy on there said it well. There’s diehard trump fans people that just love trump. Then there’s people that hate trump. Not very many people seem to love Biden, they just hate trump

Posts: 1307 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not denying that popularity is part of the system. But that’s a significant part of what’s wrong with our country today. All the pandering. A candidate who is nice and well mannered but gives our country away to prc and the antifa vs a candidate who is rude but makes America great - I’d vote for the latter everyday and twice on Sunday. People who superficially vote for the former have no business voting. If a person can’t go deeper than the irrelevant superficial, then they don’t deserve to vote. Freedom is wasted on them and they might as well live in a dictatorship.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a citizen's vote is modulated by twitter behavior and not by policy, then the citizens deserve the president they get.
Yes, but I don't! And, unfortunately, we are in the same country.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
No matter how much charisma, nice, and even a complete cessation of Tweets, acerbic speaking, insults or whatnot, would make a difference in the fraudulent balloting, obstruction, end running political moves and malfeasance of those in the various state legislatures in this election.

The only thing I see at Trump's feet, are pitfalls and snares placed there by those who hate us.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the day he won the election has been a constant wave of negativity from the democrats and the press. Not the kind of negativity faced by Reagan (doddering and semi-incompetent) or Bush W. (dumb and hokey), but just unhinged insanity.

Calls for impeachment from day 1, the "RESIST" signs, the "not my president" mantra, Hillary's what happened? cry fest, insisting that since he didn't get the popular vote his election is ILLEGITIMATE, Russia Russia Russia, racist, white supremacist, sexist, rapist, xenophobe, liar, thief, tax evader. Every time anyone associated with government business stayed at one of his hotels he was lambasted for "emoluments" even though the net income from such visits was insignificant. Then the sham impeachment, Schiff's blatant lies, WuFlu, and everything we've seen this year.

Just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. There has never been anyone in office I have been aware of that has caught so much sheer bullshit and kept standing and fighting and implementing his platform to greater success than anyone else since Reagan.

Sorry but he'd have to be the Dalai Lama to take all of that and not fight back the way he has. Good god, have some perspective. Can anyone say they could endure all that and maintain "dignity"?

Now, anyone who was undecided is a moron. How can you not know if you want someone espousing pure marxism and job killing oil/gas restrictions, or a free marketer that believe in sound energy policy and individual liberty?

Yeah, emotion and not brains. God help us.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say this as an enthusiastic Trump supporter and voter. I have to respectfully disagree with those who say that if Trump had acted differently with the tweets and rhetoric, it wouldn't have made any difference anyway. Plus many are willing to give him a pass on this, because - what do you expect. Look at how they treated him.

There is clear evidence that the tweets and the rhetoric hurt Trump with suburban White women, and it cost him votes. In fact, it may have cost him the election. Plus many of the things that he said about McCain were no doubt true. But did the feud help him in any meaningful way? No. Everything that may be true doesn't need to be said. No question the McCain feud hurt him in Arizona.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
There is clear evidence that the tweets and the rhetoric hurt Trump with suburban White women, and it cost him votes. In fact, it may have cost him the election. Plus many of the things that he said about McCain were no doubt true. But did the feud help him in any meaningful way? No. Everything that may be true doesn't need to be said. No question the McCain feud hurt him in Arizona.

I see, you are assuming the election is free of widespread fraud, that Trump simply lost votes because he is mean?

Give me a fucking break.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16719 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Are you surprised by this? Many, if not most voters make their choices on such criteria. Who is "nicer," "tougher," or whatever other characteristic they think is important.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

I see, you are assuming the election is free of widespread fraud, that Trump simply lost votes because he is mean?

Give me a fucking break.

Nope. Not saying that at all. Just saying that all that stuff cost him votes. That's all I am saying. Not saying that there hasn't been fraud. I believe there has been fraud. But I also believe that all that stuff cost him votes. I think it's clear that it did. His support among suburban White women did decline as opposed to what happened in 2016.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plus many of the things that he said about McCain were no doubt true. But did the feud help him in any meaningful way? No. Everything that may be true doesn't need to be said. No question the McCain feud hurt him in Arizona.

Cindy McCain did lead a campaign against him in AZ. To a increasing segement of the population, truth no longer matters. McCain was no friend of Vets or Republicans.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
quote:
Plus many of the things that he said about McCain were no doubt true. But did the feud help him in any meaningful way? No. Everything that may be true doesn't need to be said. No question the McCain feud hurt him in Arizona.

Cindy McCain did lead a campaign against him in AZ. To a increasing segement of the population, truth no longer matters. McCain was no friend of Vets or Republicans.

Yes. I agree completely. It's also obvious the feud cost him votes. Both things can be true.

posted Hide Post
Considering the entire Democratic presidential campaign has been based on "Trump = orange bad man" I don't disagree.

The reality is that elections focus on one or two key issues. In this case, it came down to Trump's personality more than anything else.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post