SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any coin collectors in the group?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any coin collectors in the group? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Posted with approval from Para. Technically this could be considered an ad being run outside of the classifieds. Out of respect for the rules, I will not reply to any questions about potential purchase until after I’ve posted an ad within the classifieds section and listed a set price. Thank you again Para.

Guys,

I’ve accumulated these mostly silver coins over the years. Some of them may have more value than just the silver (like the 1878 Morgan and the 1912 nickels).

I also have about 2 dozen silver dimes and an equal amount of buffalo head nickels to sell as well.

I don’t have the time/knowledge to try to sell these off piece-by-piece, any of you guys experienced enough to know what a fair price to ask would be?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12303 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
While I'm not an expert on the numismatic collectible value of Morgans, Liberty Nickels, or Buffalo Nickels, the rest of the more mundane circulated coins, including the quarters, dimes, Franklin/Kennedy half dollars, and maybe Ike dollars (if they're silver*), are basically only worth a bit under their silver melt value, based on their percentage of silver and their weight.

For the 65-70 Kennedys, that'd be 40% silver, or 0.1479 ounce of silver in each.

For the 71+ Ikes, that also could potentially be 40% silver, or 0.3161 ounce. (*This is assuming they're actually silver; most Ike Half Dollars were not, but there were some 40% silver-clad commemorative/collectible ones produced. It's hard to tell just by a photo, but judging by the dullness of yours, I don't believe they're silver.)

For the pre-65 Kennedys and Franklins, that'd be 90% silver, or 0.36139 ounce.

For the pre-1965 quarters, that's 90% silver, or 0.1808 ounce.

For your pre-1965 silver dimes, that'd also be 90% silver, or 0.0723 ounce.

Now multiply those fractions of ounces by the current spot price of an ounce of silver ($20.04) to get an approximate silver content value of each type of coin:

65-70 Kennedys: ~$2.96 each
Pre-65 Kennedys and Franklins: ~$7.24 each
Pre-65 Quarters: ~$3.62 each
Pre-65 Dimes: ~$1.45 each
*Post-70 Ikes (if actually silver): ~$6.33 each

Then understand that as non-pure "junk silver", they're going to be valued at a bit under the silver spot/melt price.

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Caveat about the Ike Dollars; there are two different versions that were minted.

The General Circulation issues are CuproNickel (CuNi) like the regular coinage issues for Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

The “collector versions” were minted in the 40% silver strip. You can tell the difference as the silver will be bright as compared to the CuNi which will be duller in finish. Additionally, the collector versions were issued only in special packaging (hard cases for Proof, and polyfilm sleeves for standard-level circulation strikes).

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I collected coins as a preteen. The value is based upon the condition of the coin and how many were minted. There are books that price coins. They are worth less than you might think. I still have my collection.

Posts: 17170 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The value is based upon the condition of the coin and how many were minted.

They are worth less than you might think.

That's generally true for coins that do not contain precious metals, or for coin collecting in an earlier era before the value of silver had increased significantly.

Currently, the silver content of most mundane pre-1965 circulated US coins greatly outpaces their actual collectible value, so it's their silver content that's driving their value, not their condition or how many were minted. (Though that's not always the case, especially once you start getting into the more collectible early-1900s and pre-1900 coinage.)

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry man but you don't have anything special there.

You can check the coinflation website and punch in your coins to get the silver value. Pre 21 Morgans usually go for around $30 or so.

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Currently, the silver content of most mundane pre-1965 circulated US coins greatly outpaces their actual collectible value, so it's their silver content that's driving their value, not their condition or how many were minted. (Though that's not always the case, especially once you start getting into the more collectible early-1900s and pre-1900 coinage.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes and no. Condition is the main factor. All of my coins are pre 1965 and some are worth a fair bit. Buffalo nickels which preceded Jefferson nickels have decent value if you can read the date. {Most have the date rubbed off.} Coins that are double struck are highly valued. I have an uncirculated Franklin half dollar that is worth much more than the silver. Again you need to value on an individual basis.

Posts: 17170 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
All your examples are missing my point...

Buffalo nickels have no silver content, so my statement about mundane circulated silver coins doesn't apply.

Your Franklin is uncirculated, so my statement about mundane circulated silver coins doesn't apply.

Double-struck coins are extraordinary, not mundane, so my statement about mundane circulated silver coins doesn't apply.

The fact remains that for coins with basically no collectible value where the silver content is the primary driving force of the value, like the various mundane circulated pre-65 coins in the OP's photo that I discuss in my initial post, the condition and mintage don't matter one bit, only the silver content.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the thread skew, but the statements about condition raise a question in my mind. What is the favored way to clean/shine older coins to present them to their best advantage? Lazy old me says just chuck them in the tumbler with steel pins and some Lemishine for 20 minutes, ala fired brass. However, I suspect this is way too easy, and that truly anal coin collectors would react in horror to this suggestion.

Posts: 6393 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
What is the favored way to clean/shine older coins to present them to their best advantage?

Nothing. Literally.

Truly valuable collectible coins should never be cleaned or shined. You're only going to hurt their value by doing so, not improve it. You may make them "prettier" in your eyes, but their condition for grading and collecting purposes will actually go down by introducing non-natural finishes/patinas and adding additional wear to the features.

posted Hide Post
I did not know that Buffalo nickels had no silver.

I started work at age 14 at an ice cream parlor that catered to Senior citizens. They brought in some rare coins, but the coinage from the railroad had the best. I used to go through the change every night looking for that special coin.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Today silver is at $20.

A dealer will pay roughly $24.50 for the Morgan, while selling it for $32.50.

90% coins will be bought for $14 per $1 face, and sold for $16.60, with half dollars bringing a 50 cent premium on the buy side, and $1 on the sales side.

40% halves will be bought for $5 per $1 face, and sold for $6.18.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15689 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I collected coins as a preteen.

I recently unearthed my own pre-teen penny collection. Was warmed by the vicarious reliving of the moment I found a few semi-keys in general circulation circa 1960ish.

That VDB penny, the near mint Indian Penny, etc etc. Have a few various # of the old Blue collection folders for various nickles & dimes.
Probably not worth dealer wading thru.

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
old Blue collection folders

Yep. Still have those and some red ones. My uncle got into it big time. As an usher he passed the basket in an old established Catholic Church in Chicago. Lots of DPs attended. {DPs was the expression for displaced persons or recent immigrants from Europe.) He would then go to the bank and get 50 pound bags of pennies. Had some good finds over the years.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
If you, or anyone else reading this, has some "junk silver" of no real numismatic value, our friend David Truong offers to buy from you.

I'd shoot him an email, or call him. Mimis Jewelry in Fountain Valley CA.

To get an idea of what coins are selling for in the more collectible numismatic realm, you can do a search of sales completed on ebay. Do not rely on the asking prices. Completed sales only. This will give you a fairly good idea of prices.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Dave was gracious enough to offer to take a look, but it’s a lot of coins and a lot of work to go through them individually.

I did some reading and found an app that appears to be highly regarded among coin collectors, “Coin Snap”. It offers minimum to maximum collector value for each coin and also includes current strike price.

This week I’m going to run each coin through the app, record the values, organize them into baggies by type, come up with a price that seems fair, and then place the whole set for sale in classifieds.

Thanks again Para for affording me the opportunity to have this conversation online.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12303 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post