SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gatwick Airport closes runway because of rogue drones. Army called in.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gatwick Airport closes runway because of rogue drones. Army called in. Login/Join 
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Is that 4 miles in optimal conditions like the 50 miles in optimal conditions range of my GMRS radios? I'm assuming optimal conditions mean clear line of sight and if these drone operators are not standing in a wide open field that the range would be severely limited.

Check online for videos doing a search like 'mavic pro distance test.' Here is a test of two different models going out 2 and almost 3 miles respectively. If you don't care about loosing the drone, you can go longer distances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M73mup1EeAY

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The two people arrested are reportedly 'eco warriors' in their late 40's/early 50's.

Well, 'eco' can stand for ecology, or economy, and the approximately $150M it has cost to shut down the second busiest airfport in the UK for almost 50 hours, is certainly a hit to the economy. Of course, the cost is far more than that - yet again the UK management have been shown to be complete dwongs in the face of what could have been a national emergency. Imagine if that had happened at an RAF base with interceptors? Or Heathrow, with over a thousand flights a day to EVERYWHERE?

Hundreds of kids have had their Santa Claus trips to Lapland f*****d up, too, all so that these two smug middle-aged hippies can exercise their opinion on the rest of the population.

Imagine it happening at Elmendorf AK......?

How would the USA have dealt with this?

Posts: 11328 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
How would the USA have dealt with this?

Probably poorly.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I hope the perps spend a long, long time in prison.

In spite of all the publicity, it’s shocking how many thoughtless assholes continue to fly UAVs in the airspace of active wildland fires, grounding all aviation operations. My last couple of years in the Forest Service I was part of a cadre working with the FAA on policy with respect to fire ops.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/...est-cyclist-spotted/

Sussex Police said today: "A 47-year-old man and a 54-year-old woman, both from Crawley, were arrested in the town on suspicion of disrupting services of civil aviation aerodrome to endanger or likely to endanger safety of operations or persons.

"They remained in custody at 11am on Saturday."

The Christmas getaway hell saw 1,000 flights cancelled or diverted - affecting 140,000 passengers - since Wednesday night.

And travellers are now being warned to expect a fourth day of chaos as Britain's second biggest airport re-opens today.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/22...-neighbours-8278086/

Police arrested a couple after swooping on a new build house in Crawley, West Sussex, just three miles away from the airport. Elaine Kirk, 54, and Paul Gait, 47, have been named locally as the middle-aged suspects police arrested, but their neighbours believe they have the wrong couple.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Emulating the Park City couple that was busted in Sept for taking hunting stands and vandalizing hunter's vehicles...?

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The two persons arrested have been released without charge. The man is a r/c plane fan, and has a couple of little drones that he flies around in the back yard. The wife is not interested in his 'toys'.

A neighbour probably snitched them, possibly over an overhanging fence hedge that the neighbour won't trim, and they are not 'friends'.

What is NOT in dispute is the the man, who is a double-glazing windows and doors fitter, was working with two associates on a job many miles away when all the shenanigins were 'shenanigins-ing.' It might be asked why this cogent point was not mentioned earlier......

Meanwhile, another person SAW a younger man in his thirties in hi-vis clothing, stuffing one very large and one smaller drone into the back of a panel van of some kind...Hmmmmmmmmmm....

Posts: 11328 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
- affecting 140,000 passengers -

One open-handed slap per inconvenienced passenger seems fair.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
So how many drones have they shot down? I must admit, while taking them down with shotguns sounds fun, using one of these would be a hoot, you know...for the higher flying ones! Big Grin

QF 2-pounder quad mount

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it was an overreaction to create more drone laws. Not possible I know.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I sometimes wonder how many people offer up opinions and speculation about such incidents without making any real attempt to understand what happened.

As for what the response was, just what should have been different?

Let’s say it happened in the U.S. How many people would be comfortable with the police opening fire at high flying drones with no regard to where the projectiles ended up? What goes up must go down and all that. People have been injured and even killed when some bozo cranks off a few shots into the air on July 4th or New Years Day; would police bullets somehow be different? We regularly see hissy fits here when the police have to defend themselves in a shootout and accidently hit a bystander, and yet it’s okay to launch a bunch of projectiles into the air with no regard for where they’re going to come down—?

And how effective would it be? I am a good rifle shot, but based on the video I saw, it would be as much luck as skill to hit a drone flying erratically. Does anyone criticizing the UK police know if the drones were in shotgun range? As was already mentioned, the vulnerable area was very large; would police vehicles running up and down runways with shooters hanging off the sides replace the old Keystone Cops movies?

If some cooler (smarter) heads decide that shooting isn’t such a good idea, then what? How many U.S. police agencies have devices designed to jam drone control signals? I didn’t even know they existed, but as I understand it, the police there had some sort of device that should have worked against most commercial drones, and it was only after it wasn’t effective that the military had to be called in. Do we have similar equipment stored in the basement of every police station in this country ready to be deployed at a moment’s notice wherever something like this happens?

There is a shortage of people who can resolve novel emergency situations with the snap or two of a finger, and if you’re one of them, I urge you to get out there and start protecting the rest of us who just have to muddle through.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
The two persons arrested have been released without charge. The man is a r/c plane fan, and has a couple of little drones that he flies around in the back yard. The wife is not interested in his 'toys'.

In other words, These aren't the drones they were looking for.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

In other words, These aren't the drones they were looking for.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
confusing situation

like Tac wrote, Paul Gait and wife Elaine Kirk have been released after 36 hours.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/...ldier-reveals-agony/

Forensic officers spent yesterday combing through their home and vehicles looking for potential evidence.

Sussex Police Detective Chief Superintendent Jason Tingley said: “Both people have fully co-operated with our enquiries and I am satisfied that they are no longer suspects in the drone incidents at Gatwick.

“Our inquiry continues at a pace to locate those responsible for the drone incursions, and we continue to actively follow lines of investigation.

As the culprit remains at large four days after the attacks, police have been criticised for their "appalling investigation".

Detective Chief Superintendent Jason Tingley said there was "no available footage and they are relying on witness accounts."

Asked about speculation if there was never a drone, he said: "Of course, that's a possibility. We are working with human beings saying they have seen something."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

https://www.afp.com/en/news/15...ne-chaos-doc-1bt1c91

"Both people have fully cooperated with our enquiries and I am satisfied that they are no longer suspects in the drone incidents at Gatwick," said Sussex Police detective chief superintendent Jason Tingley.

"We are not back to square one," he said, adding that officers were looking at "persons of interest".

He said that the detectives were investigating 67 reports of drone sightings from the public, police officers and airport staff.

They were also conducting a forensic examination of the damaged drone found near the airport perimeter, close to the last reported sighting location, Tingley said.

Asked about speculation that there never was a drone over the airport, he said: "Of course, that's a possibility. We are working with human beings saying they have seen something."

He added: "Our inquiry continues at a pace to locate those responsible for the drone incursions."

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
So now social terrorists can make their anti-capitalism point jut by programming a quadcopter to disrupt flight paths.
I'm willing to wager this was just a test.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39757 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone actually see- Photograph the Drone?

quote:
Police defend Gatwick drone investigation as they refuse to rule out theory that it never existed

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...-have-gatwick-drone/

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So how can they call it a drone attack if they are not sure that there was even a drone involved. It could have been someone new getting one for Christmas and a neighbor didn't like him hovering it in the neighborhood. Lets take a breathe and see what the results are before exclaiming an attack.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Did anyone actually see- Photograph the Drone?

quote:
Police defend Gatwick drone investigation as they refuse to rule out theory that it never existed

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...-have-gatwick-drone/

Now THAT would be funny!

With everyone's phones and airport video systems, I find it hard to believe that there is no video IF it did in fact happen.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post