SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gatwick Airport closes runway because of rogue drones. Army called in.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gatwick Airport closes runway because of rogue drones. Army called in. Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
What do you use on drones? Number 4 lead seems like a good place to start. Maybe number 2s.

Eactly. 3-1/2 inch express, #2 Hevishot. Hevier than lead, hits real hard. Or #4 buckshot for extra effect. I think those assholes should go to prison for causing that scale of personal mysery and economic chaos.

But knowing how soft the British justice system can be they will probably give them a brief lecture and a bottle and then tell them to go home and get a good night's sleep. But you're right about top British gunners. Last time I checked the best sporting clays gunner (by far) is British. I watched a video of him once doing an exhibition shoot, really amazing shooting at distances not normally even comprehended for clays shooters, breaking clay that shouldn't have been otherwise possible to break at the distances he was shooting.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
There are specific munitions made for drones in the corrections market. There are options in both 12 gauge and 37/40mm.

Posts: 6367 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
TBH I'm aamazed that country like the UK, with so many world-class shotgunners, hasn't done the job already.

My exact thought, as well. Seems to me that it should not be too hard to take one down with a load of #2 birdshot. Or maybe buckshot.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you guys completely confuse me. To stop using the runway you can have a drone anywhere in its length and probably in the descent or ascent zones. That's miles. That's a lot of world class shotgunners. In addition the max range of birdshot (or any shot) is well below the height of the drone. you aren't going to shoot it down. It probably has a camera as well. This is not a shotgun problem...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
There are specific munitions made for drones in the corrections market. There are options in both 12 gauge and 37/40mm.

Skynet

But hrcjon makes a good point. It’s not like taking down something that’s hovering over your backyard taking pictures of your wife sunbathing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
you guys completely confuse me. To stop using the runway you can have a drone anywhere in its length and probably in the descent or ascent zones. That's miles. That's a lot of world class shotgunners. In addition the max range of birdshot (or any shot) is well below the height of the drone. you aren't going to shoot it down. It probably has a camera as well. This is not a shotgun problem...

Well, gunners shoot one helluva lot of wild hogs here in the southern parts of the USA, and with rifles from a moving helicopter. Put some shooters with shotguns in a chopper and turn them loose. I doubt there are too many idiots flying those drones around the airport.

Never priced one, but suspect they are not cheap.

And,if the ones flying the drones are captured, a few years in the gray bar hotel should dissuade others from doing it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Top Men

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Recalled that back in 2015 a father caught a drone hovering over his sun bathing daughter...three times. He shot it down.
I looked up the results. While Dad was arrested, when he appeared in court and the judge declared it was a good shoot. There were also a couple of witnesses that reported how low the drone was.
The drone operatior, outraged that someone dared shoot his drone down sued. He lost. He appealed. He lost.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/...ayer_rules_in_court/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No doubt this incident will be used by gov policy makers to enact laws requiring registration, licensing, and industry regulation.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

What's the range on these drones? I watched one do a controlled landing into Mullet Key Bayou at Fort Desoto last year. I assumed it had exceed the range of the controller and had gone into an auto landing mode. If they have limited range, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how far away the operators are. You also wouldn't have to cover miles of runway.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
What do you use on drones? Number 4 lead seems like a good place to start. Maybe number 2s.

I would suggest a system of ground based, radar guided focused radio beam. I assume they run in a narrow frequency spectrum. Take out it's control, or for that matter fry its receive circuitry and it should drop like a (plastic) rock.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What's the range on these drones? I watched one do a controlled landing into Mullet Key Bayou at Fort Desoto last year. I assumed it had exceed the range of the controller and had gone into an auto landing mode. If they have limited range, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how far away the operators are. You also wouldn't have to cover miles of runway.

The DJI Mavic Pro I was looking at can stream its video live and operate from 4 miles in optimal conditions. The service ceiling is something like 3 miles. Large airports would qualify as optimal conditions during the day or night, as long as the weather cooperates. This is a drone that costs about $1k, and you can quickly fold it up / unfold it in a matter of seconds. It fits inside of a shoebox.

In short, this is not a problem that can be solved with a few shooters wielding shotguns or any sort of firearm. It will need to be dealt with in another way, most likely looking at shutting them down remotely or blocking signals somehow.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“The Army used a cutting-edge Israeli anti-drone system to destroy the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) that brought misery to hundreds of thousands of people at Gatwick airport.

The British Army bought six 'Drone Dome' systems for £15.8 million in 2018 and the technology is used in Syria to destroy ISIS UAVs…”

https://mol.im/a/6519211

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Police today revealed they are closing in on the suspects who flew 'multiple' drones over Gatwick to deliberately ground hundreds of flights and leave more than 110,000 people stranded before Christmas.

Sussex assistant chief constable Steve Barry has said detectives have now identified 'persons of interest' - but have not made any arrests as the manhunt also involving MI5 continues…”

https://mol.im/a/6519109

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:

The DJI Mavic Pro I was looking at can stream its video live and operate from 4 miles in optimal conditions. The service ceiling is something like 3 miles. Large airports would qualify as optimal conditions during the day or night, as long as the weather cooperates. This is a drone that costs about $1k, and you can quickly fold it up / unfold it in a matter of seconds. It fits inside of a shoebox.

In short, this is not a problem that can be solved with a few shooters wielding shotguns or any sort of firearm. It will need to be dealt with in another way, most likely looking at shutting them down remotely or blocking signals somehow.

Is that 4 miles in optimal conditions like the 50 miles in optimal conditions range of my GMRS radios? I'm assuming optimal conditions mean clear line of sight and if these drone operators are not standing in a wide open field that the range would be severely limited.

I don't think anyone is being serious about guys with shotguns on roaming drone patrol. Based on their limited range, it shouldn't be hard to draw a line from the drone through the boundary of the airport to narrow down where the operators are.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:

Is that 4 miles in optimal conditions like the 50 miles in optimal conditions range of my GMRS radios? I'm assuming optimal conditions mean clear line of sight and if these drone operators are not standing in a wide open field that the range would be severely limited.

I don't think anyone is being serious about guys with shotguns on roaming drone patrol. Based on their limited range, it shouldn't be hard to draw a line from the drone through the boundary of the airport to narrow down where the operators are.

That's actually my question. I didn't think you really need true LOS to fly one of these drones, and 4 square miles around, say, Indianapolis Airport (my home hub) could have thousands of people in it.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fly drones and this is how the minority IDIOTS ruin it for the majority of people. Mad God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:

... you serious Clark ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
I fly drones and this is how the minority IDIOTS ruin it for the majority of people. Mad God Bless Smile

Like everything in life the idiots try and ruin it for the responsible people.

You are supposed to always keep Visual Line of Sight but the reality is very few people do. I have a Mavic Pro 2 that I have flown two miles from my house while I was sitting in my toasty warm garage. It will go 5 miles and back with the battery being the limiting factor. That’s a huge area that could never be covered quickly in a few cars.

You also can’t drop them by interfering with the reception because they are bound to each other and not on a typical frequency like the old RC stuff.

Unfortunately it’s just a matter of time before someone uses one for a horrific situation and then just like guns we will have a mass call for a bunch of restrictive laws that don’t work.

DJI works very heavily with the authorities and constantly updates their no fly zones so that your drone won’t even fly near large airports and many other areas. It’s one of the main complaints from DJI newbies. The people who get it realize this is an effort to try and keep people as safe as reasonably possible.

I didn’t hear if the drone was recovered but if it was these dipshits are in for a much deserved pounding.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Mavic & Phantom Drones can fly a long way - the limfac is battery life and signal strength.

It's not hard to get a better antenna; directional antennas are great at boosting signal / distance capabilities of the drone.

And those are off the shelf drones - there are plenty of people / companies that cater to DITY drone making with motors, computers, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post