SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gift ideas for the wife?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gift ideas for the wife? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I need some ideas. She like the outdoors and has become something of a bird watcher. Last year for her birthday I got her a pair of Vortex 8x binoculars and a couple of books on birds in our state and region. That was a hit. I'm drawing a blank this year.

"Here's a c-note, hon. Get yourself somethin' nice."

Nope, that won't work.

Posts: 107664 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Bird Feeder ?

Posts: 1352 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Bird feeders and pole to hang them from. Bird houses etc

We’ve watched two clutches of blue bird eggs hatch already this year already. Bought my wife a WiFi endoscope so she can take pictures inside the birdhouse

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
A nice waterproof down filled coat (Arc'teryx, Northface). Kuiu makes hunting specific outerwear using some high tech fabric and great camouflage. Canada Goose also has some nice stuff, some with coyote fur lined hoods, the Gucci of outdoor gear.

A nice, ultralight (backpacking style) folding stool or chair.

Thermoflask for keeping drinks warm while out in the field.

A DSLR with a fast telephoto and stabilization.

And of course, travel/experience/education. A professionally guided bird watching trip or outing?

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If she likes the outdoors perhaps a Day trip, or overnighter to one of the sanctuaries in GA, or surrounding states, dinner, someplace y'all wouldn't go on a weekend normally.

List of 10 top GA Nature and Wildlife

Posts: 23512 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
A DSLR with a fast telephoto and stabilization.

First thing that came to mind

and, or

Gift cards to this place

https://www.wbu.com/

Posts: 5340 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Weel, you could spring for a weekend getaway where there are lots of birds. Around here, it might be Cape Cod,Parker River Reservation, or any place where there may be an Audubon Society in the area.

Might look at Davis Attenborough's "Life of Birds" DVDs, or "Birding by Ear" CD set.

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Bi...orough/dp/B000069HXL
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bir...f=pd_sl_9r6fgmu1n5_e

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Wife likes to walk in the woods, got her a pair of Columbia waking tennis shoes, she loves them wears them almost everyday. Good fit, but sturdy and waterproof.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snapzoom makes a nice lightweight tripod with binocular mount. Nice if she has a favorite viewing spot where you can settle in for a while.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
“Here's a c-note, hon. Get yourself somethin' nice."

I had a business acquaintance who would, for his wife’s birthday, Christmas, etc., stop by his local Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom’s, Macy’s and take about $300 of nice clothes of the rack, have them gift wrapped, ensuring that the gift receipt was included. He’d be in and out in about 20 minutes. She’d be pleasantly surprised and then happily take everything back to exchange it for whatever she wanted. Seemed to work for the both of them.

Do you have a hummingbird feeder? This is what I bought for my bethroed for her birthday.

https://thehummingbirdfeeder.com/

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
A pretty bird house. There are lots of choices beyond the basic wood box, although that always works. I believe that chickadees are pretty easy to attract and they will use a bird house.

I bought a small bird bath a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed watching the different birds that stop by.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Nice weekend out at a local-ish hotel, spa treatment/pampering, dinner at a nice restaurant, write her a poem or a song.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
A nice weekend at a bed and breakfast in Cape May, NJ. There's a huuuge bird sanctuary near the point.

While she checks out the birds, you can go tour the WW2 bunkers and fire control towers, Sunken Concrete Ship, as well as soak in all the history and town beauty. Enjoy some lobsters at the lobster house.

Fly in to AC cheap, and take a 25 minute ride down the coast.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seney National Wildlife Refuge.
Come up and see us!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16106 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.lowes.com/pd/KANTE...-Concrete/1002608458

If she does not have one already .

If I had to pick between
either feeders or a bird bath ,
I'd pick the bird bath.

if you set it on a 16 in. x 16 inch
concrete paver it till be easy to mow around.

the only thing is
she has to keep it filled and
cleaning it every week can get old
you will need a stiff plastic brush.

birds will come from four homes away to get all cleaned up . or just to get a drink.

especially if you are not near a creek or pond.

the only thing better than a nice clean bird bath ,
is a bird bath that makes noise,
they have small solar powered fountains. that work great.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54676 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Some sort of class, or educational/instructional engagement around bird watching (or anything else she may be interested in)?

I've done cooking classes for example. Both at a place, and where they come to your house.

Maybe there is a local bird expert who can take her out bird watching, teach her, etc. .

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
There was a company in Wilson NC that made copper top bird houses..guy never advertised but drove around with them on display in his truck. Well made either pvc or wood.

Maybe your wife would like one for her birds.

Google it, copper top birdhouse.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the problem with feeders is you have to make them vermin proof , and that ain't easy , unless you have the perfect set up.

possum, rats , squirrels, raccoons,
ooof!

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54676 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
-Bird Feeder

-Hummingbird Feeder

-Small Ornamental Bird Bath
(We have one that pumps the water from below, up through a pineapple, and out the top of the pineapple. I added a heater for the winter months. I still find it amazing how many repeat birds we get year round).

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Moving water brings birds.
Any bath with a bubbler or moving water element is always a hit with wildlife.
Love the idea of a birdwatching trip, but not sure how active she is, or the birds she wants to see. Does she have a life list?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5334 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post