SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any PVC experts out there?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any PVC experts out there? Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted
Suppose’n I wanted to use 4” schedule 40 PVC as a stand, meaning I’d cut it in to a 4” section and stood it upright, how much weight would it support? Can it hold 400lbs?

What about schedule 80 pvc?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Look up pvc jet ski stands. Most you see are supporting in similar weight and that is lengthwise.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert, but I believe the tensile strength on 4" schedule 40 is over 4000lbs. I'm not sure how that relates to compressive strength, but I'd bet 400lbs is no big deal.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough."

-Mark Twain

Posts: 416 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You mean like a deer stand? 10 feet or so above ground? Sch40 will get what you want, but I don’t know that I’d feel all warm and fuzzy about it….plus unless you paint it UV is a pvc killer….

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Just like sizing a post for a deck it depends on the height.
I’d assume that if you’re talking about 2 or 3 feet probably but if you’re talking about 15 or 20’ not so much…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It'll support a lot more weight if you pour it full of concrete. Makes a great post for the mailbox.

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
I used 3" pvc, 3 pieces about 3" long under the water heater so it didn't sit directly on the concrete floor.
A 50 gallon water heater full of water has to be around that weight.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
In this instance, it would be 4" tall, 4" diameter, supporting +/- 400lbs, I cannot fill it with concrete. It would be interior, so I'm assuming UV degradation isnt a problem.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
In this instance, it would be 4" tall, 4" diameter, supporting +/- 400lbs, I cannot fill it with concrete. It would be interior, so I'm assuming UV degradation isnt a problem.

4" will not be any sort of problem. You could use much smaller dia & not have an issue, the vertical load bearing isn't even worth looking up.
The only issue I could possibly see is how you are supporting/balancing whatever load you have - I'd bet it's bigger than 4" dia, so balance & attachment will come in to play. 4" is not a big deal no matter what, but PVC doesn't have great lateral strength - it will bend & then fail if the load isn't balanced.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Strength of materials is one thing. Whether it will work in a particular design is another. Whether a structure will support a given weight depends on the details (geometry, e.g.)

In other words, just knowing XYZ material is being used will not tell you whether a given structure will fail. You could build a bridge using wood and have it stand, or a bridge out of steel and see it collapse.

Some things are strong in compression and fail quickly under tension. I think PVC pipe probably fits into that category - a long stretch of unsupported PVC pipe would not be hard to crack with sufficient load in the center of the unsupported span.

In other words....need more details. Wink

A sketch, maybe?

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I dont have a sketch. Assume a totem pole, varying in height from 5' - 7'. This PVC will operate as the base for the totem poles, or a spacer if you will. PVC sits on floor and totem poles on PVC. Max weight is around 400lbs.

I suppose the alternative is steel.

NRA Life Member

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That should be no problem. Hockey pucks might do the trick as well.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
That should be no problem. Hockey pucks might do the trick as well.

I need the material to be hollow as it's overlaying a 3" steel pipe.

NRA Life Member

I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
From strength and materials classes many moons ago:

Cross sectional area of schedule 40 PVC pipe = 3.12 in2.

Compressive strength PVC = about 8000 psi

8000 psi/3.12 in2 = 2564 pounds to compression failure. 400 pounds good to go.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post