SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Took the new (to me) motorcycle out for a ride
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took the new (to me) motorcycle out for a ride Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Great bikes. Had a 97 GS and a 2012 GSA.
Always thought of the 97 as Katarina for Katarina Witt. Dating myself but always found both very attractive in a Germanic kind of way.

Posts: 1974 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2018 R1200GS - you are right about the higher center of gravity. I have the three cases on mine. Went to the store a few days ago to pick up some things - forgot I was on my motorcycle and added a few things to take home. Ended up with all cases full and a shopping bag hanging on my left forearm for the ride home.

I like the GS and get compliments as I have good safety bars and yellow lights on the front. I'd probably consider the RT if I did it again. I'd probably not get as many compliments . . . .

I just started riding 4 years ago, and this is my second motorcycle. My first was an F700GS - I found it not to be comfortable to ride (even with a third party comfort seat) more than about 75 miles.

Posts: 2776 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Beemer!

I didn’t get out today, I went to the range. But I got out earlier this week, and might be going tomorrow.

Posts: 3018 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bulldog, what on Earth is that long eared thing on the back rack?

Also, where was the ride (generally)?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Not Bulldog, but that's Yoda.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several BMW bikes. My “go to” bike is a 2003 GS. It does have a high CG, but that goes away as soon as you are rolling.

Spoke with a dealer in Asheville,SC several years ago after I had just gotten a R100RS. His show room was by and large GS bikes. I asked why? He explained that 90% of what they sell are GS models. Having been to a few rallys, most of the long distance riders also ride the GS.
They are great “All around” bikes. Long instance, short trips, fast when needed, slow and pleasant as well.

By the way, I am 1-2 hours from Lovettsville, VA. An easy trip for you when you have the weather in your favor. About 20 miles east of Gettysburg.

Posts: 2134 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hedy (Hedwig) Lamar

or Romy - Romy (Rosemarie) Schneider.

Both were very beautiful Austrian Actresses.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1688 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Franz Joseph (Emperor) or a good old Mountain man name like Sepp or Anton

Posts: 3576 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

That’s Grogu. He’s my copilot. And this ride was in NW Arkansas, somewhere just north of Huntsville.

Grogu is sort of a mascot that started as a joke, and has kind of turned into a thing. People like him. He sparks many conversations with people from all walks of life.

Posts: 3018 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I never named any of mine, so I've got no good ideas for names and no shame in the game for what you like.

But...

If it's based on where the bike is from, shouldn't it be a Germanic name? I think the GSs are still assembled in Berlin.

Austrian would be more correct for a KTM.

If it's Austrian for a different reason, please disregard.

Ride safe, have fun.

Posts: 10761 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Unfortunately not me because I'm visiting my daughter and SIL in VA now. Heading home tomorrow but I'm bringing my two grandsons (8 and 10) along for the week so no chance I can get out. I just hope I survive the week.......

Get a couple of helmets for the grandkids and take them out for a ride, have to do your part to excite the newer generations on guns, motorcycles, and 'merica!

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post