SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Took the new (to me) motorcycle out for a ride
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took the new (to me) motorcycle out for a ride Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
I recently purchased a very loved 2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure.

It came with the three Vario cases, and a MST of accessories (e.g., it will likely take a week to get past all the engine crash guards Wink).

Still, despite the cool weather (55Fº) I took her for my first real ride as her new owner.

It was interesting. I've never ridden a bike with as high a center of gravity, but that will just be a matter of experience riding. Its also a more powerful motorcycle than my past bikes (the largest a Honda PC800).

Suffice to say, I am in LOVE with her.

Now I just need a good name.... something Austrian.

Any one else get out on their motorcycle today?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Austrian? You could go with von Trapp.

There is a forum for your motorcycle, where you will learn much about it and make new invisible friends.

I recently retired from riding. K1600GT was my last two-wheeler.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5078 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a 2020 GSA and absolutely love riding it more than any other bike I've owned. The bike is quick for what it is, nimble, reliable with a ton of aftermarket support.The boxer engine is near bullet proof and easy to work on if you do your own wrenching.

Posts: 1631 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Austrian? You could go with von Trapp.

I'm thinking either Senta (for Senta Berger) or Magda, for the role she played in Cast a Giant Shadow.

After all, any hot chick with a Sten...

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I got a ride in today as well… we don’t get to many 50 deg days in during December. It took me an hour and 15 minutes to go to the gas station 2 miles away for milk.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3697 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
The BMW MOA and Adv Rider are good sources.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3697 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
My ride today was entirely in first gear.

And the reason is that I was following my 23 year old son as he learned to ride his very first motorcycle. I have been trying to get him to ride since he was 8. Offered to buy many dirt bikes over the years. A month ago, he called me and asked how to get his permit and if I would teach him. He took delivery of a KTM 390 Duke on Saturday. I rode it home as he had to get to work. His idea was to make his first ride on Christmas.

It really was a present for me... Smile

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I owned a BMW, my license plate frame read:
"From the fine folks who brought you WWII".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16126 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Any one else get out on their motorcycle today?

Congrats on your new ride!

It was flirting with 50° this afternoon and I gave some thought to going for a ride, but chickened out.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
40 degrees is my limit(sunrise), and it's been over 40 all week, but I've been sick this whole time. Hopefully the end of this week, I'll take it for a spin.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
No ride for me today as I'm stuck working and it's raining.
Got in a good 150 miles yesterday however.
Was 65 degrees and sunny!

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Due to balance issues I can no longer ride in a manner I consider safe, but have many BMW miles under my belt with lots of great memories from years past. BMWMOA is the 800 lb. gorilla for Beemer clubs and has rallies all over the USA but seeing you are in VA, I would also or possibly instead consider joining BMWRA. It is more East Coast oriented and tends to have smaller rallies. Either club is great, like a big family reunion but with beer!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2897 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
While your bike isn't quite "16 going on 17" it's close enough. May I suggest the very Austrian name of Liesl? (Check you Sound of Music references)

Congrats on the bike! While I've not ridden a GS I understand they're great bikes.

Also let me say it's good to meet someone else who appreciates the Honda PC800. It was my first bike (a 1994) and was also my wife's first (a 1997) which she still has although she rides a Goldwing F6B now.

Ride safe!

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6740 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great bike. I’ll have one eventually but as of now just have a Road King to putter around on. I’ve done a few test rides with Morton’ BMW out in Fredericksburg. The GS/GSA is the bike I’m most infatuated with when I go. It’s like the 4Runner of motorcycles which suits me just fine

Posts: 2836 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Sig2340, post up a pic of your new ride. Those big ole GS bikes are a hoot.

I have a yellow R1150GS.

I didn’t take any bikes out today but I did take my Integra GSR out for a VERY spirited ride to the country along with my father. We later switched cars and took his 6 speed manual mini cooper for a ride. The Mini is a surprisingly fun car to drive. It does feels as nimble or light as a manual Integra GSR but it is still quite a fun car to drive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21129 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I have always said that a GS would be in my garage if I had the inseam. Enjoy that ride!

Posts: 1635 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
I have always said that a GS would be in my garage if I had the inseam. Enjoy that ride!

I wouldn’t let that stop you, the wife has a GS 800 with low suspension and low seat from the factory and it’s pretty low!

YAT-YAS

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Magdalena
Johanna

Be safe.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I recently purchased a very loved 2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure.

It came with the three Vario cases....

It was interesting. I've never ridden a bike with as high a center of gravity, but that will just be a matter of experience riding....

....Any one else get out on their motorcycle today?

Congratulations on your Hexhead GSA! I had a 2009 GS and a 2012 GS Adventure and enjoyed them both. The Adventure models with their large gas tanks filled do have a little higher COG and having a trunk on makes it more so. You might try riding w/o the trunk and just attach it when the panniers alone won't hold enough.

Unfortunately not me because I'm visiting my daughter and SIL in VA now. Heading home tomorrow but I'm bringing my two grandsons (8 and 10) along for the week so no chance I can get out. I just hope I survive the week.......

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7122 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Jana
Leopold

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21129 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post