SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lindesy Vonn failed at the Olympics and I could be happier about it only if...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lindesy Vonn failed at the Olympics and I could be happier about it only if... Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
family members were all waving rainbow flags but not the American flag

If it had been just rainbow-y bad enough. Instead they'd actually found somewhere who fashioned a stars and strips version in rainbow. Not going to post a pic, but it was as bad a disrespect of the flag as I've seen.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Seems political corruption has infected everything now. There has developed a great division among the population of the world between those who love liberty for all and those who only love liberty for themselves.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Little Lindsey is appearing in about 9 commercials. Frankly, she oversold herself and didn't live up to the hype. It used to be that a gold medal winner appeared on a cereal box. Now, before winning anything, they get TV commercials.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If there were never again another Olympics, I'd be just fine with that.

I'd like the Olympics reinvented, and see them go back to sports rather than arts.

If you can't measure it objectively - how far the javelin went, how fast the skier went - it's not a sport, it's an art. With art, you end up with blithering twits who get judged "winner" based on "cool" rather than athletes who know outright who won and who didn't.

It wouldn't cure all the idiots flapping their gums, but it would cull the herd of the dancing gibbons.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
quote:
If there were never again another Olympics, I'd be just fine with that.

I'd like the Olympics reinvented, and see them go back to sports rather than arts.

If you can't measure it objectively - how far the javelin went, how fast the skier went - it's not a sport, it's an art. With art, you end up with blithering twits who get judged "winner" based on "cool" rather than athletes who know outright who won and who didn't.

It wouldn't cure all the idiots flapping their gums, but it would cull the herd of the dancing gibbons.

Amen, anything requiring a judge is on my not to watch list for the reasons you stated.
IMHO, they have ruined the Olympics. When they changed the rules to include Pros they ruined everything. Yeah, the old East Block used to cheat with their lack of professionals but it made it even more special when we kicked their ass.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
If there were never again another Olympics, I'd be just fine with that. I've had it with these pissing, preening prima donnas running their ignorant commie mouths about things they do not understand and which have nothing to do with their little games.

Get a fuckin' job and be quiet

"Spoiled brats" is right. Spot on. What have you done, girly, other than run your fucking mouth about politics, show poorly in the games, and refuse to participate on Saturday because you probably won't win? I don't care what anyone else thinks about you, or how much they adore you. In my book, you're just another loudmouthed, know-nothing spoiled brat loser.

Let's go back to the way the Olympics used to be. That would end much of the vanity on display,

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, as I recall, they played their games buck nekkid.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I remember when the Olympic broadcast consisted of televised events in full with very little commentary and the athletes kept their opinions to themselves. IIRC somewhere in the 80's there began to be more commentary and less event coverage or the coverage was so chopped up that I couldn't follow it. That is when I quit watching.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Did the Greeks compete to the death or merely to maiming? IIRC, in wrestling it was a legit move to grab the other guy's junk to 'win his heart and mind'.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
IIRC, in wrestling it was a legit move to grab the other guy's junk to 'win his heart and mind'.
Please, don't get the figure skaters all riled up.

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
"But Para, how would you feel if she actually snapped her neck?"

I'd feel like having a fucking sandwich.

Big Grin

That made me laugh really hard!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12334 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I was rooting against Lindsay Vonn as well. Also, what is the deal with Australian and Bristish announcers on the US coverage? Do we not have good American announcers that can fill the role? That actually may be a loaded question so I digress.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Did the Greeks compete to the death or merely to maiming? IIRC, in wrestling it was a legit move to grab the other guy's junk to 'win his heart and mind'.

https://youtu.be/GJPZzlOhBmA

Confused

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
"But Para, how would you feel if she actually snapped her neck?"

I'd feel like having a fucking sandwich.

Big Grin

That made me laugh really hard!

x2, and thanks for quoting it, I somehow missed it. Big Grin

Posts: 17133 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think this latest gaggle of self-absorbed 'athletes' has simply demonstrated that the federal government should eliminate any and all funding for olympic sports and training facilities

you wanna be an 'limpic athlete' - then pay for it yourself

and better yet, it would be great if President Trump simply sent a few invites to some of the athletes but ignore the others...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
The hills are alive, with the sounds of necks snapping. Lindsay Vonn shutyurfuckin Trapp.

That's "comedy gold" right there, i don' care who ya' are; git r dun ! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
"Hahahaha maybe she won’t get any more endorsements and fade off into the skiing sunset...."

I'm sure that if she dropped to her knees, Tiger would take her back.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Bring back the ROMAN Games, say, for 100 days. I have some candidates in mind. Attendance and participation are, of course, mandatory. In the Arena, everyone is equal....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Been a while since we’ve seen Para this fired up.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, as I recall, they played their games buck nekkid.

Well the swimmers in the summer games are all gonna be complaining about shrinkage

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post