SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My hair stood on end, a chill ran down my spine, and I realized we're in a different world now...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My hair stood on end, a chill ran down my spine, and I realized we're in a different world now... Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
For the first time in over 20 years I heard the local civil defense sirens tested in attack mode.

I stepped out of a store and heard it, my hair stood up, a chill rand down my spine and I realized had no idea where to seek shelter. Then I remembered what day it was and looked at my watch. 1300hrs. First Saturday of the month, must be a test, but a test mode I haven't heard since the mid 1990's We aren't in the same world we were in a week ago....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38251 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duck and cover drills may be on the way back.

Posts: 889 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sirens will just bring people out to the streets with their smart phones to get the big event on video for their Facebook page. Maybe that’ll be a good thing if that time comes.

Posts: 3974 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I saw a report yesterday about Hawaii using their emergency siren in a test for the first time in decades.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I've been under a rock.

What happened a week ago that is going to make CD sirens the new norm?

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Little Kim has a ballistic missile that could reach anywhere in the US.

Posts: 11207 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Then I remembered what day it was and looked at my watch. 1300hrs. First Saturday of the month,

Except they suspend the Saturday at 13:00 tests in after October or so, if memory serves. (Used to be a Ham, member of ARPSC, Skywarn-trained [repeatedly], participated in the test reporting, et al.) Something about the cold weather being hard on the hardware or something.

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
must be a test, but a test mode I haven't heard since the mid 1990's We aren't in the same world we were in a week ago....

Must've been local. I didn't hear them here. (Looks at the time...) I suppose the vacuum could've been running and I missed it.

Odd they'd pick a predictable time to test "air raid" warnings. If I were an adversary, that's when I'd choose to launch.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
It's the same world, we just can't be as complacent as we have been. Lot's of folks have had us in range for a lot of years before this. The only difference now is the current little shit stain in NK. He will have to be dealt with sooner than later.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Little Kim has a ballistic missile that could reach anywhere in the US.

That he claims could reach anywhere in the US.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10544 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I think all the experts took the last test and extrapolated the numbers and it is highly probable that he has such a missile.

Posts: 11207 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Where did NK get missile tech? Which political leaders were in power during this nuclear advancement? The track is clear. We are under nuke threat again because of their incompetence.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
The sirens will just bring people out to the streets with their smart phones to get the big event on video for their Facebook page. Maybe that’ll be a good thing if that time comes.

My girlfriend tells me that's exactly what happened in Honolulu this morning. Apparently the Faceplant comments were so stupid they were hilarious. One woman, asked what she would do if it was the real thing, said she'd get in her car and drive around until she found somebody who would let her into their house. Eek

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9380 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I actually kinda hope lil Kim hits California with a nuke. It's the only way to fix CA as I see it now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I hear them tested quite often. Mostly used for tornadoes and tests now.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Yes, I’m an hour above the Motown. They have been on schedule for decades.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
If it comes, I'll sit outside and have a glass of Wine and be Thankful for the life I've lived. I lived through this stuff in the '50's. Chances are, , if it happens, there wont be much to live for this time around. I would not want to survive. I've learned things...Smile Zebulon

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I hope that Kimsdongnotlong is sane enough to understand the consequences of his launching an ICBM, warhead on board or not, and having it hit anywhere in US jurisdiction.

I do believe that President Trump would order the JCS and STRATCOM to obliterate North Korea. I'm talking the complete load on six or seven SSBNs.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32056 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I actually kinda hope lil Kim hits California with a nuke. It's the only way to fix CA as I see it now.

I'm kinda hoping that doesn't happen.

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10864 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

I'm kinda hoping that doesn't happen.
Can we compromise on Southern CA? Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post