SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My hair stood on end, a chill ran down my spine, and I realized we're in a different world now...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My hair stood on end, a chill ran down my spine, and I realized we're in a different world now... Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
One woman, asked what she would do if it was the real thing, said she'd get in her car and drive around until she found somebody who would let her into their house.

Well, hopefully not a new foreign car, one with electronic everything. First if it were after the blast, it wouldn't start. If she were lucky enough to own a 1950s points ignition model, she'd at least avoid traffic, since she'd be the only one moving.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I actually kinda hope lil Kim hits California with a nuke. It's the only way to fix CA as I see it now.

I'm kinda hoping that doesn't happen.
Can we compromise on Southern CA? Big Grin

No, we don’t want the Truongs to be discombobulated.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10544 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
Agreed on the truongs.But cal.is a big mess.Just got back from L.A.Gosh what a mess when you get into the belly of the city.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
They test every Saturday at noon in Oklahoma City, unless the weather actually looks like the might be a tornado, then they wait till the real thing Wink

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1952 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I think all the experts took the last test and extrapolated the numbers and it is highly probable that he has such a missile.

There seems to be considerable doubt that he has reached the point in warhead development to make one light enough, but robust enough to survive re-entry and still get that kind of range. I have no doubt he's scrambling to get there, but probably not yet.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Anyone see the movie "Threads" ??

That's a tough one to watch. takes a very strong stomach to watch the whole thing.

The entire movie was free on youtube for a while.

All I found now was this clip.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/MrHoMSRZOS4

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11109 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Successful atmospheric re-entry capability has been available for 60 years.

Considering technology advancing over that time and the same time span, being able to find a tremendous amount of data on the subject and untold numbers of opportunities to steal it.

I have no doubt that the NORKs are capable of getting something up and down and making noise.

And extreme fanatical people are always expected to "go all out" first opportunity that can.

It's crazy to underestimate a madman.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to understand why China hasn’t done more to contain him or get rid of him permanently. I’d be doing everything in my power to make sure a country that borders mine wasn’t turned into a radioactive graveyard. China has just as much or more to lose as we do if nukes are launched.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3634 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I was trained in CBR (NBC)warfare a few decades ago. Among other things we were taught about the medical effects of radiation poisoning. Taught by real medical doctors.

Given the choice, I would rather be turned into radioactive dust that die of slow radiation poisoning.

And, depending on the altitude of the detonation, the downwind contamination can be for hundreds of miles. Killing and sickening 10s of 1000s of people.

We once did a plot of the downwind destruction of a 1 megaton bomb dropped on Frankfurt, Germany. AIR, with a scaling wind of 25 KMH the 50% casualty rate stretched for 100 miles.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I was trained in CBR (NBC)warfare a few decades ago. Among other things we were taught about the medical effects of radiation poisoning. Taught by real medical doctors.

Given the choice, I would rather be turned into radioactive dust that die of slow radiation poisoning.

And, depending on the altitude of the detonation, the downwind contamination can be for hundreds of miles. Killing and sickening 10s of 1000s of people.

We once did a plot of the downwind destruction of a 1 megaton bomb dropped on Frankfurt, Germany. AIR, with a scaling wind of 25 KMH the 50% casualty rate stretched for 100 miles.

And actually, one of the best and effective ways to protect yourself from fallout is donning standard rain gear.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
quote:
Little Kim has a ballistic missile that could reach anywhere in the US.

That he claims could reach anywhere in the US.

That's what the targeting engineers told him. "You shoot it, who knows, it could land anywhere in the US."

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I hear them tested quite often. Mostly used for tornadoes and tests now.

Tornado/Severe Weather mode: Long continuous tone. Power is maintained to the siren

Attack Mode: Tone rises and falls as power is applied, then cut to the siren causing it to wind up and spin down.

The city that I used to work for tested the sirens at 1pm the first Saturday of every month. First in Weather mode, then attack mode. They stopped testing attack mode around 1995 as the threat of Soviet/Russian nuclear attack was minimal at best.

Today it was in a different city, other side of the state. Definitely attack mode with a rising and falling pitch for several minutes at 1pm.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38251 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
quote:
Little Kim has a ballistic missile that could reach anywhere in the US.

That he claims could reach anywhere in the US.

That's what the targeting engineers told him. "You shoot it, who knows, it could land anywhere in the US."

I'm sure he would have killed them had they said anything other than that.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
I actually kinda hope lil Kim hits California with a nuke. It's the only way to fix CA as I see it now.

Hyperbole recognized. Wink

The US has been slow to go to major war. It may take something like a Pearl Harbor or 9/11 before something serious happens to Kim's nukes, but I surely hope not.

Posts: 15158 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here we test every Wednesday at 12:00 noon. Different tones for different emergencies.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

I'm kinda hoping that doesn't happen.
Can we compromise on Southern CA? Big Grin

No because then the fallout drifts over me. Besides my daughter has to shoot Indoor Nationals in March at the Olympic Training Center in San Diego.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11890 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
A few years back I was visiting family in Omaha. There were tornado warnings, so I was listening to the radio as I drove out toward Gretna, where my brother lives from near city center.

The radio announcers were amping up their warnings as I drove west on Dodge Street saying things like: “No unnecessary travel.” “If you’re out in your vehicle, you should find a safe place and seek shelter,” etc.

I reached 168th Street to turn and head south, when sirens went off all around me. I don’t know where all the sirens were, but it sounded like the end of times. As I drove further south the announcers were talking about funnel cloud sightings just a bit further south of me. I was worried. Saw a car wash and pulled off, drove into an empty bay, got out and scanned the sky for the tornado. I never did see the damn thing.

Later, when I reached my brother’s house (they were also driving, but took a different route), my niece said, “Did you SEE it!” No, I didn’t, but they sure did. Those sirens can sound terrifying.

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dealer

Can we compromise on Southern CA?

Only if it involves the Kardashians.

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I hear them tested quite often. Mostly used for tornadoes and tests now.

Tornado/Severe Weather mode: Long continuous tone. Power is maintained to the siren

Attack Mode: Tone rises and falls as power is applied, then cut to the siren causing it to wind up and spin down.

The city that I used to work for tested the sirens at 1pm the first Saturday of every month. First in Weather mode, then attack mode. They stopped testing attack mode around 1995 as the threat of Soviet/Russian nuclear attack was minimal at best.

Today it was in a different city, other side of the state. Definitely attack mode with a rising and falling pitch for several minutes at 1pm.

I have not heard that version. Hopefully they educate people on the variations.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

And actually, one of the best and effective ways to protect yourself from fallout is donning standard rain gear.

So donning gas mask, rain coat (top & bottom), rubber gloves, and potassium iodide pills, could get you through it?

Posts: 3237 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post