SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    South Florida 12 story condo building partial collapse
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Florida 12 story condo building partial collapse Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For a little more background on this event, look into the collapse of the Hard Rock Hotel in NOLA. Main difference is the Hard Rock site was under construction and not occupied. That shut down a large area of the city and recovery of the victims took months. Lots of folks were pissed about the process to make the site safe. It was a very grim story.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
For a little more background on this event, look into the collapse of the Hard Rock Hotel in NOLA. Main difference is the Hard Rock site was under construction and not occupied. That shut down a large area of the city and recovery of the victims took months. Lots of folks were pissed about the process to make the site safe. It was a very grim story.

I almost forgot about the Hard Rock. I remember there was a body exposed and visible from the street. They had to use a tarp to cover the body until they could be removed. I just read an article that said it took 10 months to recover the last body. The Hard Rock collapse looked small compared to Miami.

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just read an article that said it took 10 months to recover the last body.

If you want to know how screwed you are when it comes time to rely on the government there you have it.

Just imagine how screwed you'll be in a wide spread event like an earthquake. Better hope you have regular folks in your area that will step up if if that time ever comes.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15863 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
In this case, you have 12 stories and millions of pounds of concrete, steel and miscellaneous furnishings right above the rescuers, and it could come down at any moment, killing everyone working to get into the rubble.

That more than anything else is holding back heavy equipment and moving anything without determining what the potential is for causing more problems is going on.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
As far as the heavy equipment goes there are a lot of rules on using it. Most of the movement of debris is done by hand to keep the pile stable. They do use cranes along with heavy rigging technicians who have specialized training. The reason body recoveries take so long is that once people are no longer rescuable the teams take a lot less risk.

Posts: 1148 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I have no words.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Wow seeing that drone video was an eye opener on just what
conditions faces the rescued and rescuer .

Posts: 4449 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The rest of the building was brought down at 10:30 last night. The company that did it got $935,000. I can’t imagine what their insurance costs are. Link

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The rest of the building was brought down at 10:30 last night. The company that did it got $935,000. I can’t imagine what their insurance costs are. Link

Quote from the linked AP News article:

"State officials said they hired the BG Group, a general contractor based in Delray Beach, Florida, to lead the demolition. They did not immediately respond to an inquiry about how the firm was selected, but a contract for the project calls for the state to pay the company $935,000.

A spokesperson for the state’s Division of Emergency Management said the company subcontracted with Maryland-based Controlled Demolition Inc., which experts say is among only a handful of companies in the U.S. that demolishes structures using explosives."

Sooo, why subcontract the demolition? Is C.D.I. not licensed to operate in FL? Would FL law required specific licensing, or that a company be located in FL to get the contract? Is a GC required for such a demolition project? Is it somehow related to contractual requirements for Union labor? Safety/Insurance reasons? C.D.I will only do the actual demolition work and requires somebody else manage the site safety responsibility?

Seems to add unnecessary cost to the job, but hey, it government money...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The photos all show equipment belonging to Alpha. I have worked with them on bank building and vault demos in Florida. They certainly have the ability to get through concrete and steel without disturbing things that shouldn't be disturbed.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15863 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The rest of the building was brought down at 10:30 last night.

Dumb question but what happened to all the personal property inside the building. Lets say you lived on the side of the building which did not collapse. Im assuming you were only given time to grab what you can carry out in one trip and not allowed to reenter. You basically lost everything you own!

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

Sooo, why subcontract the demolition? Is C.D.I. not licensed to operate in FL? Would FL law required specific licensing, or that a company be located in FL to get the contract? Is a GC required for such a demolition project? Is it somehow related to contractual requirements for Union labor? Safety/Insurance reasons? C.D.I will only do the actual demolition work and requires somebody else manage the site safety responsibility?

Seems to add unnecessary cost to the job, but hey, it government money...

Maybe CDI for the knowledge and experience and BG Group for the grunt work? But really, who cares?

Posts: 3475 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Well, 'IF' it's unnecessary, and adds $100K+ to the cost (at taxpayer expense!), SOMEBODY should care! Just Sayin'...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd suspect that BG was hired as the FL firm and upon inspection decided that CDI was probably the better firm to handle or advise on the demolition.

It worked, they brought it down safely and quickly, pretty amazing getting it done that fast.

Kudos to both...

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The reason likely has to do with Florida procurement regulations.

The reason for CDI is they have more experience imploding partially collapsed, structurally unsound buildings than any other firm. They did dozens of buildings in Mexico City following an earthquake, and IIRC they did the fed.gov building in Oklahoma City, plus others around the world.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32053 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Dumb question but what happened to all the personal property inside the building. Lets say you lived on the side of the building which did not collapse. Im assuming you were only given time to grab what you can carry out in one trip and not allowed to reenter. You basically lost everything you own!

Unlikely anyone was allowed back inside due to the risk. Yes, they lost everything, and this is why we have insurance. Had it been a fire it could have been a total loss as well.

Question from me is how the insurance policies will pay - individual unit polices vs. overall building coverage vs. any findings of negligence or fault on the part of those managing the building, etc. Hopefully the residents are made whole quickly so they can move on to a new residence, and then the insurance companies can argue about it and sue each other over the next few years.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The unit owners personal insurance will cover their personal property and any internal fixtures (thing cabinetry, appliances, etc.). The general rule of thumb is that the personal policy covers anything inside the paper on the sheetrock. In a rebuild they'd pay to repair/replace. Here they'll probably just get a check. The Condo corporation's policy will cover the cost of the structure and systems (basically anything outside and including the paper on the sheetrock.) In a total loss situation like this, they'll have to be some agreement on how to divvy that up among the unit owners.

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

Unlikely anyone was allowed back inside due to the risk. Yes, they lost everything, and this is why we have insurance. Had it been a fire it could have been a total loss as well.

Question from me is how the insurance policies will pay - individual unit polices vs. overall building coverage vs. any findings of negligence or fault on the part of those managing the building, etc. Hopefully the residents are made whole quickly so they can move on to a new residence, and then the insurance companies can argue about it and sue each other over the next few years.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Yeah it was a big cost to bring the rest of the building down but you have to figure the amount of care and expertise that would be required in this very specific circumstance. This isn't a vacant building that is structurally sound and needs to be taken down. That and if they are assuming that there are still people alive on the other side that need to be found. The amount of precision to keep the building from falling on the area that needs to be searched.

Now take that and figure how much it would cost if the state cheaped out and something went wrong.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Yeah it was a big cost to bring the rest of the building down but you have to figure the amount of care and expertise that would be required in this very specific circumstance. This isn't a vacant building that is structurally sound and needs to be taken down. That and if they are assuming that there are still people alive on the other side that need to be found. The amount of precision to keep the building from falling on the area that needs to be searched.

Now take that and figure how much it would cost if the state cheaped out and something went wrong.

I agree with this. Like the story of the retired fellow that billed $1 for banging a spot with a hammer and $999,999 for knowing where to hang to fix the machine nobody else knew how to fix.

Kudos for them (politicians) doing it right.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post