SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Proper way to bring a manual transmission passenger vehicle to a stop
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper way to bring a manual transmission passenger vehicle to a stop Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Was taught it was best (safest) to slow to a stop by downshifting through third and second, then clutching it when stopping and placing it in neutral until starting forward again.

I'm hearing that others just put the vehicle into neutral and use the brakes only to stop. They cite wear on the clutch (vs brake pads) as the reason.

I'm not talking about walking it down to first when stopping, and I keep the revs well in check when doing so, as a result so I'm not sure the wear is any different than covering the distance in gear acceleration.

If the red light one is approaching turns green then one has to rev-match again to go anyway. If some bonehead on the road is on their phone and starts doing something stupid then if one is in neutral that would delay the active response to escape the potential situation.

What does Sigforum say?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Downshift through second, always in gear until coming to a stop. There is only wear on the clutch when the pedal is moving. I had a 94 accord that went 260k on the original clutch.

Besides, how else you gonna practice heel and toeing?

Posts: 11363 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
It's been almost 10 years since I've had a manual. But I always downshifted as you described.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I am of the same mindset. One should be in a gear in case acceleration is needed. Being in neutral doesn't provide that option.

Click and Clack talked about downshifting and advocated the neutral approach with the thought that brakes are cheaper than a clutch. While the cost aspect may be true, I respectfully disagree from a safety perspective.

I am also in gear with the clutch in at red lights and stop signs. I can rev and dump the clutch if textingsoccermom is going to rear end me.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 720 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve always gone straight to neutral in mine. And I’ve never had to put a clutch or transmission in any of my manual equipped cars even after nearly 300,000 miles on one.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3976 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it depends on the situation.

If I see a light turn red or I'm coming up to a stop sign, I'll shift into neutral and coast to a stop with brakes.

If I'm coming up on a turn or another situation where full stop is not required, I keep the clutch in, coast using brake as necessary, and downshift as speed drops to the appropriate gear - keeping the clutch in all the while.

I don't use the engine as a brake for everyday driving. Mountains and other like instances are a different story.

Posts: 4985 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, downshifting was used because drum brakes sucked.

Nowadays, for me, I down shift because of habit and because I like having torque and power available in case it's needed.

I suppose I consider brake-ware but I've never considered clutch-ware. But I also don't/didn't drive a vehicle which might have bottom-of-the-line brake pads and clutch.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Years ago a mechanic friend asked me, "Would you rather do a brake job or a clutch job?"

Frankly, I've done it both ways but got into the habit of going directly to neutral when coming to a full stop, or to the appropriate gear for a roll-through.

I haven't had a manual in a long time.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5487 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I could write a book on some of the fumb ducking things being taught today by "driving instructors."

Tell me, do you put the car in neutral when decelerating and turning a corner? No, you downshift. So why put it in neutral when coming to a stop? And what happens if your "stop" all of a sudden becomes a "start" again? You've now got to choose which gear to use to resume.

My first full time job out of high school was working on a formula car race team. Even at the tender age of 17 I learned to "match revs" (engine RPM) with shift points, and could seamlessly shift gears without using the clutch. The only time my car was in neutral was when it was idling.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Downshift as you described. You should never be “coasting” a vehicle.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
When I rode a BMW R90/6 (motorcycle, single-disk in front, drum in back), I just dropped anchor and hoped it caught in time.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Always downshift.
Had a roommate that would just drop to N & coast/brake.

Explained that, by downshifting while slowing, you were already in gear if you needed to make any kind of acceleration or avoidance maneuver.

Edit: Agree with others, downshift to 2nd in a car.
On the bike(s) I'll downshift to 1st while slowing/stopping. Usually leave in 1st with clutch in (obviously), rather than shift to N, unless it's a really long light/train.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Still have a 6-speed manual transmission now. I strive for smoothness. As a passenger, nothing worse than a herky-jerky ride (are you listening sweetheart?). Yeah, I downshift, but not always all the way down to second. I use a combination of shifting and brakes to make deceleration as smooth as possible.

Posts: 13289 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'm in neutral as I stop, wiggling to shift lever to make sure that I can safely declutch when stopped. I'm not going to sit there with the clutch pedal pushed in.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8356 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Through turns and other times I would not be required to stop, I usually down-shifted. For stops I'd push the clutch, brake, and down-shift as my speed decreased, finally going into 1st about the time I came to a stop. But, for stopping, I did not use the drive train for braking. The clutch stayed depressed throughout my down-shifting.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always rev match down shift. I have owned many manual transmission cars and only replaced one clutch. The replacement was my fault for not keeping it adjusted (72 Datsun).

You want a challenge perform a smooth rev match downshift into 1st gear.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
1.5 million miles in a big semi.

The reason to downshift as you are decelerating is to keep the transmission synchronized with your speed. It takes a lot of experience to know what gear goes with what speed, and getting it wrong really stresses the synchros. Big trucks are semi-synchronized, so you must speed match every downshift. Without double-clutching, you won’t get the gear.

Holding in the clutch doesn’t wear the clutch. It works the throw-out bearing. Slipping is what wears a clutch, often caused by people driving and using the clutch pedal as a foot rest. In a truck, you never just coast out of gear. If you let the truck come to a stop while out of gear, you’ll have to engage the clutch brake to get back in gear. I always drove my manual vehicles the same way; always in gear by downshifting.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
I am of the same mindset. One should be in a gear in case acceleration is needed. Being in neutral doesn't provide that option.

Click and Clack talked about downshifting and advocated the neutral approach with the thought that brakes are cheaper than a clutch. While the cost aspect may be true, I respectfully disagree from a safety perspective.

I am also in gear with the clutch in at red lights and stop signs. I can rev and dump the clutch if textingsoccermom is going to rear end me.

I also recall the Magliozzis reminding us that brakes are cheaper than clutches. I drove manuals for years, and ususally used the brake technique. You can always quickly put it into the right gear and give it the gas if needed. The split second you save if you are already in gear with the clutch out is unlikely to be the difference between life and death.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Coming to a stop, I push the clutch pedal in, hit the brakes, and put the shifter into 2nd. While dropping below 10mph, I put the shifter into first. At no point do I release the clutch pedal until I want to start moving again. On my car 2nd is good from 10mph to 55mph.

I did sort of the same thing on the track with the motorcycle. At Brainerd for example, coming out of turn 2 at 125mph in 5th heading to turn 3, pull the clutch in and brake at marker 5, tap the shifter 3 times to 2nd, release the clutch, turn in, roll on the throttle through the turn. Half the time, the back wheel would come off the ground while braking, so engine breaking would have been useless. The other hald of the time, letting the clutch out at each shift would upset the motorcycle.

On the other hand, if I were trying to save my brakes like AJ Fort and Dan Gurney in the 1967 LeMans, I'd quit driving it in deep, quit braking late, and use some engine braking.

Last thought, if you are slowing down slow enough that you can hit all the gears on the way down, you aren't really taxing your brakes. This assumes regular car/motorcycle, not semis or trucks towing whatever.

Posts: 10988 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
While marginal, MPG increases slightly in gear.
DFCO - Deceleration Fuel Cut Off. Cuts fuel while slowing in gear. In N, it is still pumping fuel to keep the engine at idle.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post