SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about a new vehicle.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about a new vehicle. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Daughter is driving a worn out Pontiac G6 with 170k on it, needs beaucoup repairs and she's in no position to buy another vehicle and won't be any time soon.

Meanwhile, my 2012 Toyota Corolla sits in the garage with 37,800 miles on it and gets driven maybe once a month. Never has been comfortable for anything other than short trips to town, definitely not a "hop in it and drive 1500 miles" car. Tried that once, damn near crippled both of us.

So the idea is to give our daughter the Corolla and buy a new RAV4 for us. AWD, back up camera, more room/comfort.

Local dealer has a left over 2020 RAV4 LE that's stickered at $29K. Straight gas (not hybrid) and 8 speed auto (not CVT). Going to look at it tomorrow.

I realize there are many factors involved that make prices vary, but roughly what might I expect to get that for on a straight deal? Sticker plus sales tax comes to $30,500. Would it be unreasonable to expect to get it out the door for $27K or so? They have several in inventory at that trim level and price.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I am researching my new vehicle leases (works for purchasing too) I start HERE.

Good Luck!

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife LOVES hers!
2020 RAV4. I've driven it a few times, and it's surprisingly comfortable and roomy.
Her's was (+/-) $28K out the door.

Granted, this was right when "Da Rona" hit (April/May) and there were some great deals out there from the manufacturers.
0% finance, 0 down... Cash rebates...
Now, it may be different.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's probably not happening.

IME Toyota's don't typically get reduced much on negotiation, especially popular models like that.

haven't researched that model lately but if you can get OTD for like $2k under sticker you're probably doing well.

make sure you check for current incentives / financing offers

If you don't want to pay the Toyota premium, check out the Mazda CX5. They are nice also.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Agree with Sig209.

Bought two Hondas in the past 5 years, one this past February for my youngest daughter. Got them for about $1200 under sticker and both got an additional $500 off for recent college grad.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
that's probably not happening.

IME Toyota's don't typically get reduced much on negotiation, especially popular models like that.

haven't researched that model lately but if you can get OTD for like $2k under sticker you're probably doing well.

make sure you check for current incentives / financing offers

If you don't want to pay the Toyota premium, check out the Mazda CX5. They are nice also.

------------------------------

Okay, that seems accurate. Pretty well set on another Toyota, it'd be the fourth for us, never an issue. BiL has had two, same story.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There is one SURE way to find out. Go down there, and offer him $26,000 out the door. Haggle a little and come up to $27,000 or whatever your drop dead price is. Be prepared to walk out the door, and do walk out if he won't meet your price. He may call you the next day when he realizes your game of chicken is stronger than his. If he sells it to you for that price, then it is possible. If he won't, you haven't lost much other than an hour or two.

It really is the only sure way. All the websites that claim to be able to help are guessing, at best. Actually going down there to make a deal is the way to find out the real price.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

It really is the only sure way. All the websites that claim to be able to help are guessing, at best. Actually going down there to make a deal is the way to find out the real price.

True and that's the plan for tomorrow. I'm a cheap SOB and tend to SERIOUSLY undervalue things by today's standards. Needed a starting point. Push comes to shove, I could go $29K out the door but I damn sure ain't starting there.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It's the end of the month. Everybody has been given goals to meet by way upper management.

It's also the end of the quarter. Extra bonus for you.

New car sales department, all of them, want to make the numbers.

You're in the drivers seat, so to speak, until the close of business tomorrow, the last day of the month and of the quarter.

Thursday is a whole new ball game. Do it tomorrow.

You're in a great place right now.

Go in tomorrow and offer them $26K and go from there.

Personally I think I'd be happy and sign the deal for $27K for an out the door price.

Do NOT tell them you're paying cash. That will NOT get you the best deal.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Don't start anywhere on price, email their internet department on a vehicle and let them tell you how much it is

Posts: 5327 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Last new car I bought (Honda van) I figured out exactly what I wanted and emailed every dealer in 50 miles asking for a price. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but one response was really close to what my “it should be x” amount was and I bought the car there. A couple of dealers tried to pull the same nonsense they pull in person. One dealer took a week to respond and couldn’t believe I’d already struck a deal.

No wasted time, I’m happy and the dealer was happy.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I think the best you can really hope for is 15% off MSRP on Toyota.

Not sure what the current situation on new vehicles is now, though.

Posts: 13126 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
https://www.toyota.com/gst/dea...es/rav4_cash_242609/

Maybe this will help.

NOTICE THIS OFFER EXPIRES TOMORROW 9/30

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6323 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^. Yep, end of month and end of the fiscal quarter.

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the ins and outs of auto dealers. I can tell you the last two times I bought a car, they would not accept my cash offer but accepted the same offer if I financed the car. The first was zero interest for some period of time and no pre-payment penalty. The second was for some super low interest (maybe 2%) not prepayment. On the second, we asked how much we had to finance to make the deal work. It was like 1/3. So we paid 2/3 cash and 1/3 financed. Dealer asked if we'd do a favor and make at least 4 payments. They threw in a couple add'l items so we said sure. Paid it off in with the 5th payment.

Just be ready for craziness.

Let the dealer make a first offer. Maybe you'll get surprised. Google Edmund's (sp?) and true car for prices. Don't hesitate to make a counter offer based on that info. It's the end of a quarter, they might be trying to hit a sales target.

If they toss out a good number be ready to add options - Ok, we'll do that if you add a trailer hitch (for my wife's bike rack), mud flaps, etc.... That stuff doesn't cost the dealership much.

Let us know how it goes.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you drive it and you like it. Give them the $27,000 offer on a piece of paper. I usually leave it on my business card. Then just say call me if you can meet my out the door price and walk off.

Do not step in the building unless you want to waste your entire day. They will just wear you down until you cave.

Most likely they will come running out the door flagging you down telling you how they beat the boss down and you have a deal. That or they will call you later that day. That's a plenty fair offer to get the deal done as they will have extra pressure to sell it by month end.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year before covid I bought my 2019 RAV4. I really wanted another Subaru but the dealer came way off sticker a lot more than the guys above are talking. I don’t want to state a number because it was a year ago but the took like 1500 off the hybrid and just over 5000 off the gas ones. I literally couldn’t turn them down. They had 2 hybrids on the lot and like 20+ gas models. I will go find the paperwork but I would lowball the shit out of them. The only gotcha was something like 12-1500 of that discount required me to finance. I asked how much and they said 7500 dollars. No penalty for early payoff so I was totally ok with that.

Posts: 7526 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Daughter is driving a worn out Pontiac G6 with 170k on it, needs beaucoup repairs and she's in no position to buy another vehicle and won't be any time soon.

Meanwhile, my 2012 Toyota Corolla sits in the garage with 37,800 miles on it and gets driven maybe once a month. Never has been comfortable for anything other than short trips to town, definitely not a "hop in it and drive 1500 miles" car. Tried that once, damn near crippled both of us.

So the idea is to give our daughter the Corolla and buy a new RAV4 for us. AWD, back up camera, more room/comfort.

Local dealer has a left over 2020 RAV4 LE that's stickered at $29K. Straight gas (not hybrid) and 8 speed auto (not CVT). Going to look at it tomorrow.

I realize there are many factors involved that make prices vary, but roughly what might I expect to get that for on a straight deal? Sticker plus sales tax comes to $30,500. Would it be unreasonable to expect to get it out the door for $27K or so? They have several in inventory at that trim level and price.

No. I just priced CarMax Toyota in Laurel MD where I bought my last new Toyota. They give a no hassle price which includes freight prep etc but I believe there's around $120-$200 doc fee.

2020 Toyota RAV4 LE

Stock #: 19181807

MSRP:: $29,603
Discount: $4,305
New Price: $25,298

https://www.carmaxlaureltoyota...icerange=25001-30000

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2017 Hybrid. She loves it. Its her car and I've never driven it. Ridden in it a bunch. Some considerations, Toyota doesn't know how to make a GPS. Theirs is Crap, with the capital C. Its the hybrid and gets 34+ MPG constantly. She doesn't know or hasn't heard of COVID and does her running every day. Lots of city type driving. lts not uncomfortable from the passengers seat except her driving drives me crazy. She got the roof rack and we've used it to tie our Christmas tree down. Smile It came with a defective radio and they took their time about figuring it out and replacing it.

I'm not licensed to offer financial advice, but if the rate is low enough, Keep your cash and tell them you want to finance. You can always change your mind and pay it off.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post