SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIGforum Entomologists: Can You Identify This Bug?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIGforum Entomologists: Can You Identify This Bug? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Found this creature sitting on the edge of the laundry room counter the other day. Caught, photographed, and released outside.

Wonder what the heck it is, and hoping letting it live wasn't a mistake.

Sure was a slow mover.

Sorry for the poor lighting, but it was climbing the side of the glass and I didn't want it escaping in the house, so I didn't have time to refine it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Looks like a stink bug.

Posts: 32482 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Looks like an assassin bug.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34103 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Assassin bug. He's a good one to have around but be careful, he'll light you up too.

Posts: 2830 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33738 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Looks a bit like an Assassin Bug

Posts: 5315 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
maybe this?

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Yeah, I think this one's correct. Similar to a stink bug but skinnier, and has the bulges on the back legs.

Posts: 32482 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Looks like PASig nailed it.

It's definitely not a Stink Bug. We get a lot of those in late summer, early fall. I know what those look like.

Looking at on-line images of Assassin Bugs: Neither the coloration nor the legs look right.

So it's probably a Western Conifer Seed Bug.

Thanks, y'all!

ETA:

Just figured out how it likely ended up in the downstairs laundry room--or, more accurately, my wife did: I spent three nights and the better part of four days at the up-north property of one of my best friends, weekend-before-last. There's more conifers than anything else up there. I bet it rode in on the flannel sheets I brought back.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post